Galley design and cooker placement

imranino

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I would say no, you should have a gap at the back to vent, and above should be tiled.

As is, there would be a gap of approx 6cm (2 3/8”) between the vent and the gunwale. It will be tiled above the vent as well. 

33 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Do you have (or can you find) the user manual for that cooker? It should specify minimum ventilation requirements. 

Good idea, I’ll have a look 

3 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

I would say no, you should have a gap at the back to vent, and above should be tiled.

Echo that. Quite apart from that, logic says you've got to let the heat out somewhere - it gets quite hot at the back of a cooker. Mine's got a 2" gap and it still gets quite a blast of hot air round the sides. 

15 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

How do you stop stuff accidentally getting knocked down the gap?

Some cookers come supplied with a grille ( as well as a grill !), that fits on the back. I think mine did, but it threw the whole cooker just that bit too far forward. SO I bought some brass grille strip from MC which did the same job. No problems in 17 years.....

Had a stainless steel lid made for mine which is hinged to the upstand behind the cooker. Hinge bolted to the lid but glued to the upstand in my case quartz but would work with tiles.. Small  retaining clip on the window frame behind part of the cooker holds it in place when cooker in use. Vent in cooker exposed when lid up which is obviously necessary when just oven or grill working. Works well and as it sits on the work surface either side of the cooker nothing drops either down sides or back. Down provides extra work surface plus more for the wife to clean.:giggles: Only error on my part being tight only used 1.5 mm stainless could have done with being slightly thicker.