The good old days?

Ray T

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Reminds me of my first canal trip in 1973 on an ex-working "camping" boat organised by the scouting movement.

This had a bucket and chuckit toilet, at the pointy end, so you sat facing the stern.

On the inside door to the facilities was a small towel rail.

Some wag added a label above said towel rail which said "straining bar - in cases of constipation grip bar between teeth and strain". :D

1 hour ago, cereal tiller said:

I bet they did not let you Back it into a Berth Single Handed though!:D

Funnily enough the skipper carried out a stern berth at Izmir in 75. Stern  berths are rarely carried out and he stuffed it up big time. I was on the quarterdeck with a couple of oppos with  rattan fenders  we dropped them and legged it up the waists as the ship hit what was basicaly the whole country, the country didnt move. The ship above the line of the dock  carried on going for a couple of feet causing massive damage including to the props which are slightly bigger than those on a Big Woolwich lol. We limped into dry dock in Gib where we remained for over three months being repaired. Bloomin awesome 3 months on Tropical routine with 22 hours a day off :D Gib was great in those days. Border closed and all that.

Edited by mrsmelly
numptie
  • Greenie 1

15 hours ago, David Mack said:

Probably quite a lot of bucket-and-chuckit boaters still about then.

Our first experience (1967) on a hire boat had a yacht-type toilet that pumped straight into the canal. That was banned soon after and for a few years we knew all about digging holes under hedges and the pros and cons of different types of shovel. 

Anyone for the good old days?

A bucket and checkit tale:

In 1969, or thereabouts, we were running a cub scout pack and took a group on a canal holiday (before the days of written risk assessments I hasten to add!) We hired/borrowed a 70ft boat that was really little more than a camping boat - the lads loved it. (At that time our own helming experience was limited to boats about a third in length!) The toilet provision was b&c.

One morning one lad came to report that he had lost his torch during the night when he dropped it in the toilet. Rather later when I was in the chuckit phase of the process I emptied the said bucket into the hole which I had just dug in a field only to find the torch still with its light on! I cleaned it off (sort of disinfected it) and returned it to the lad's parents at the end of the trip with due warnings about its travel experience!

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Peter X said:

Hang on a sec, I don't think I'm keeping up here! You did all that damage then got from Izmir (that's in Turkey isn't it?) to Gibraltar, the length of the Med? Were the engines still able to drive the props or were you towed?

Yes huge damage. Even cut through a massive cable supplying some leccy goodies. Both props were damaged but one only slightly though both were replaced. We limped down on low revs it was the nearest available dock for that length of time. Its not far from Izmir to Gib in the great scheme of things. We travelled thousands of miles at a time. We left Gib stored ship in Plymouth and went straight up to Iceland for the cod war. All bronzy bronzy north of Iceland we must have looked weird.