What do you think of this boat?

captain flint

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, captain flint said:

I think it says 10cm base plate and I think somehow it just might mean 10 millimetres! ;-)

But thanks for the your general observations - I agree 

See post 32 quoted bottom as 10Cm's I did wonder but it was quoted in other posts without question Sooooo

Joke a side, sure it is not 10 cm, of base plate or 50 ton, but probably 10 mm and 5 ton, a 43 ton deplacement, 67´x 11.5´

a single lynch might be good for a NB in still Waters, this one need 20 kW or more, if that is a IC diesel or Electric dosen't change that.

but remember when talking IC that those rated Powers is hardly used, or not even available at the prop shaft. maybe 85% of it is there.

a 10kW Electric can replace a 30kW diesel Engine.

specially if some thoughts have been had at the Wheel that infacto make the thrust, 

29 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

See post 32 quoted bottom as 10Cm's I did wonder but it was quoted in other posts without question Sooooo

I think there was some sarcasm/laughter in the other posts that maybe you missed :) Then again maybe I'm wrong.

Either way I'm pretty sure that's a typo!!!

17 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

it was much more a Dutch Barge style widebeam, and in my opinion far more attractive.

I have noted a number of people on here talking favourably about "Dutch barge style" replicas, and even "Dutch barge style narrow boats". I must confess that all those I have seen strike me as extremely ugly and only bearing a passing resemblance to actual Ducth barges. I certainly don't think the wide beam in the ad is very attractive, either, but I am yet to be won over, in terms of style alone, by the so called "replicas". Practicality, both as a boat and a living space, however, may be another matter. There are a couple I'm interested in, but not falling in love with by any means (not that I'd fall in love with this widebeam, exactly, even if it had a diesel engine!)

6 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Given that loads of people ask about charging regimes for the few amps required for fridges lights and phones and are advised that this requires hours of charging, running a fat boat on batteries is simply silly, unless you run a huge genny all day and night until you want to go boating then turn it off. 10 minutes later you tie up and start the process again...

So it's perfect to go one side of the marina to the other, pump out and return.

Although if they stick it at caen hill, it will never have enough power to manoeuvre about with the mini permanent wind storm there.

Edited by thebfg
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, captain flint said:

I have noted a number of people on here talking favourably about "Dutch barge style" replicas, and even "Dutch barge style narrow boats". I must confess that all those I have seen strike me as extremely ugly and only bearing a passing resemblance to actual Ducth barges. I certainly don't think the wide beam in the ad is very attractive, either, but I am yet to be won over, in terms of style alone, by the so called "replicas". Practicality, both as a boat and a living space, however, may be another matter. There are a couple I'm interested in, but not falling in love with by any means (not that I'd fall in love with this widebeam, exactly, even if it had a diesel engine!)

One of Wills Dutch Barges, which I think are good copies. Lots more on his website :- http://www.willtrickettboats.com/

776cb593-3bec-4286-8396-b1a09dbc5b54.png

Edited by David Schweizer

5 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

One of Wills Dutch Barges, which I think are good copies. Lots more on his website :- http://www.willtrickettboats.com/

I'm no expert but although the stern looks right, I'm not sure about the bow, but of course I could be wrong.

See for comparison, although, you may tell me, not a good comparison - like I said, I'm no expert, and either way I'm certainly not try9ng to pick a fight about this, just chit chat!

And that is a fairly nice looking boat, it's true. This one has a similar stern, but as you will see the bow sweeps to a considerably narrower point

7 hours ago, captain flint said:

I'm no expert but although the stern looks right, I'm not sure about the bow, but of course I could be wrong.

See for comparison, although, you may tell me, not a good comparison - like I said, I'm no expert, and either way I'm certainly not try9ng to pick a fight about this, just chit chat!

And that is a fairly nice looking boat, it's true. This one has a similar stern, but as you will see the bow sweeps to a considerably narrower point

Yup it is a nice bow, but that boat is just 2.8 meters wide, instead of more normal 3.5 - 4 with that length, a clipper bow is also nice.

10 hours ago, captain flint said:

that one is just plain ugly - the result of combining 'modern' looking window openings with a traditional looking hull is always disappointing.  The wheelhouse looks like a Star Craft from the Thames in the 1950's.

15 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

'copies', or not, those boats are well proportioned and very graceful, only spoilt by the excess amount of glazing at the wheelhouse, which is presumably the result of using aluminium glazing frames to keep the weight down so that the panels can be hinged down for low bridges.

6 hours ago, Murflynn said:

that one is just plain ugly - the result of combining 'modern' looking window openings with a traditional looking hull is always disappointing.  

I guess it's personal at the end of the day, I find many or most such combinations ugly in practice, but I don't object to the notion, and now and again i come across one that looks good to me, in its own way....

On 17/12/2017 at 22:41, David Schweizer said:

I am not a great enthusuiast of wide beams and this one would not win any beauty contests. However, Will Tricket is a good builder and has been building for something like twenty years. He built his first one on the bank at Sheepwash opposite where I used to moor, it was much more a Dutch Barge style widebeam, and in my opinion far more attractive.

When this boat was still in it's first building phase, Will Trickets name was never mentionned anywhere, and so I don't think that he had much (if anything at all) to do with the building of the hull.

The original owners fitted the boat out themselfs, I remembered their wooden bathtub.

Peter.

• Greenie 1