What do you think of this boat?

captain flint

Featured Posts

Just now, RLWP said:

Are you a big fan of electric boats, clued up on the ins and outs of charging, discharging, range? Keen on battery management, solar technologies and the like?

If not, don't buy this. 

Richard

Now that I understand! Thanks for giving a different perspective in terms of what it would be like to use, I couldn't really contextualize it like that

3 minutes ago, Ace 01 said:

the hull bottom plate is 10cm steel (4inches in real measurement).

Ha! That's so daft, my eyes misread it as being a measurement given in mm. Reassures you about the owner, no? :D

7 minutes ago, Dalslandia said:

so 8 HP will be used, (the same as my motorsailor 8 out of 23 HP) 

8 HP = 5.5 - 6 kW output Power, 6,5 - 7 kW from battery

Sorry to have to ask, but what would running a boat like that look like? As siggested earlier, a day's (tops) cruisiing and a few days charging? Or better or worse than that, do you reckon?

Just now, captain flint said:

So. I guess that means that could not only go and fill up on water, or get to a pump-out station, but - on a good day with no headwind - you just might even make it back....

Or does it? It isn't clear how this boat makes electricity, so it might be diffrent

And now you are getting into a discussion on battery capacity, current draw, charging rates and sources

I did warn you - do you want to get seriously into this?

Richard

9 minutes ago, RLWP said:

do you want to get seriously into this?

Almost certainly not, the more I hear, but I'm seriously happy chatting about it - I'm not going to pretend that I have learned anything too much here, certainly nothing overly specfic or technical I'll think I've now got a handle on, but it's all grist to the mill for a beginner like me, chewing the forum fat about boats and their setups helps bit by bit, as well as, in cases like this, warning me off them. So thanks to you and everyone taking the time to chat :)

12 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Or does it?

My comment was intended to be a very vaguely humourous reflection on the likely impracticability of the boat but there we go :) 

• Greenie 1

Just now, captain flint said:

Almost certainly not, the more I hear, but I'm seriously happy chatting about it - I'm not going to pretend that I have learned anything too much here, certainly nothing overly specfic or technical I'll think I've now got a handle on, but it's all grist to the mill for a beginner like me, chewing the forum fat about boats and their setups helps bit by bit, as well as, in cases like this, warning me off them. So thanks to you and everyone taking the time to chat :)

Ask for a Trip in the Boat ,under power for an Hour or Three?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, captain flint said:

KNow anything about the Lynch 48V? I don't...

Well at 48V it delivers about 8Kw, just under 11hp while drawing 200A. They're good motors but...... in a 43 ton boat? I suppose it will move, but slowly, and with those batteries not for very long. Its on the K&A. To go anywhere else requires a river passage, yeah right. This boat is not designed to move.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Rick-n-Jo said:

Well at 48V it delivers about 8Kw, just under 11hp 

Ah-ha. Now that is simple enough even for me. Thanks.

Yes, on a 40t boat that is bobbins. As you say, it's a houseboat, with a little motor for manouvering it here and there only. And fair enough, if that's what you require. I have seen a few such things, some of them I actually quite like, and would make lovely living spaces (better than this one). But that's not what I'm after.

38 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Ask for a Trip in the Boat ,under power for an Hour or Three?

On second thoughts, maybe not - see other post re the engine producing 11hp. On a boat that size it's obviouisly not intended for travelling any real distance, no matter how big a genny you fitted to provide the juice

Reading the posts it doesn't seem to add up 50cm base plate quoted as 50Tons rest of boat not quoted but complete boat will all the bells & whistles quoted 43 tons Questionable power propulsion unit, limited range, if trying to move  boat gardening due to draft may possibly be OK permanently in a marina but not suitable for cruising with out a big spend to either make the existing set up work? or fit a conventional propulsion set up  I would think there are better examples on the sales market

Given that loads of people ask about charging regimes for the few amps required for fridges lights and phones and are advised that this requires hours of charging, running a fat boat on batteries is simply silly, unless you run a huge genny all day and night until you want to go boating then turn it off. 10 minutes later you tie up and start the process again...