What do you think of this boat?

captain flint

Featured Posts

I'm most interested in what people think of it in terms of the technical aspects, the electric barge idea thing. And also the hull - I've seen Will Tricket's name mentioned here a couple of times, but I don't really know anything about him or any boats he made.

In terms of style, I can't say I think she's exactly a looker, nor do I go a bunch on the interior decor. But it's a nice, big space, and could work in the right place, with redecorating, as a home.

I am still smarting from the deal faaling for a boat that was a good (ansd straightforwardly set up) boat, as well as a nice space... I doubt I could afford this one, anyway, but I'm curious what more experienced people make of it, as it's unusual (I'm looking at you, Alan and Mike... ;-)

Thanks

Huh? Which boat?

Oh yeah.

This one  

I am not a great enthusuiast of wide beams and this one would not win any beauty contests. However, Will Tricket is a good builder and has been building for something like twenty years. He built his first one on the bank at Sheepwash opposite where I used to moor, it was much more a Dutch Barge style widebeam, and in my opinion far more attractive.

• Greenie 1

I am assuming that is just a Will Trickett shell with fit out done by someone else looking at the interior, though i may be wrong it is just my opinion. if you look at Will's website you will get an idea of the quality of boat he produces, he has a good reputation.

I have no idea how the electricity will be generated at a sufficient rate to drive that 43 tonne monster, other than a km down to the water point and back again.  there are very few solar panels on display; I have similar solar capacity on my little one tonne yogurt pot fitted with a 1kW motor, and that is not enough to keep me moving for more than about 6 hours before I need mains hook-up.  ...................  such a boat is only practical for occasional short day trips, assuming it has a mains hook-up at the mooring.    ..........................  oh, and 3,000 cu.m. :wacko: of water capacity will tend to keep the boat stuck on the bottom of the canal. 

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1

Electric boat? 

<snigger>

Ok I'll go and read the link anyway with an open mind. Yeah right!

As Murfly pointed out an ace before me, the main consideration is where the leccy in the batteries comes from and how gets there. And few leccy boat sellers ever tell you.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

such a boat is only practical for occasional short day trips, assuming it has a mains hook-up at the mooring.  

Which might just work for me... Also, were you factoring in that it has a generator....?

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

oh, and 3,000 cu.m. :wacko: of water capacity will tend to keep the boat stuck on the bottom of the canal. 

Ha! True, and she does look a little low in the water, no?

On 17/12/2017 at 21:55, captain flint said:

Yeah, I know, I know! :D

But I will be intereted to hear what you think think when you've looked.

Six trojan batteries for all power including motive?

No wonder this bloke is selling it. You'll need another 60 to go with them, to be able to cruise for a day or so on one charge.

Oh and a really big genny. Budget £25k just to make this boat properly mobile.

On 17/12/2017 at 22:05, cereal tiller said:

The Motor has been Maintenance free since new ,it would only require Maintenance if it were used ,ie. Water point and Pumpout Voyages.

Yes and with those batteries it can only be used for 15 mins a day!

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Six trojan batteries for all power including motive?

No wonder this bloke is selling it. You'll need another 60 to go with them, to be able to cruise for a day or so on one charge.

it states that the Boat has a Honda Generator,I think the Biggest one they do is 5 ish KW. what a weird set up!

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Forgive my ignorance, and just to be clear, the Honda whisper genny included is not the kind of thing you had in mind... You mean something more like. eg.  a big Fischer Panda ...

?

On 17/12/2017 at 22:12, cereal tiller said:

it states that the Boat has a Honda Generator,I think the Biggest one they do is 5 ish KW. what a weird set up!

Quite.

A genny big enough to charge the batts in less than real time needs to have an engine bigger than a normal boat engine if one thinks about it. A cute little Honda will taske days on end to replace the charge used in  day of cruising. Had the batts been big enough for a day long cruise, obvs. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

So a 5KW genny is no good on a boat with a 48v engine? You'll be gathering, no doubt, that when it comes to amps, volts, and watts, I am ignorant in both practice and theory, I'm sorry to say!

Just now, captain flint said:

You mean something more like. eg.  a big Fischer Panda ...

Yes - and considering the inadequate size of the battery bank you would need to run the generator continuously whilst the motor was in use. In my mind that pretty much destroys any 'eco' argument as you may just as well run a primary drive engine.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, captain flint said:

So a 5KW genny is no good on a boat with a 48v engine? You'll be gathering, no doubt, that when it comes to amps, volts, and watts, I am ignorant in both practice and theory, I'm sorry to say!

As mentioned before ,Installing a Diesel would be the best way of making the Boat usable.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A cute little Honda will taske days on end to replace the charge used in  day of cruising. Had the batts been big enough for a day long cruise, obvs. 

Whilst not ideal, if less than 2 weeks for a full charge it might just work for me...

I'm not saying the more I hear the more I like the idea of this boat - far from it! - just playing devil's advocate/thinking about my likely needs

On 17/12/2017 at 22:16, captain flint said:

The thing is, it takes a certain amount of energy to shove a boat along for an hour of a day. Using diesel to run an engione to charge batteries to power an electric motor is far less fuel efficient than using the same engine to spin a propeller directly.

This is why electric boats are a joke. 

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In my mind that pretty much destroys any 'eco' argument as you may just as well run a primary drive engine.

No doubt. Must confess, it wasn't supposed eco credentials that appealed to me, just whether or not the damn thing will work!! 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Using diesel to run an engione to charge batteries to power an electric motor is far less fuel efficient than using the same engine to spin a propeller directly.

I am sure that is true - seems like such basic science as to be common sense. That French & Peel electric narrow boat I we were talking about the other day had a generator that directly powered an electric engine, rather than charging batteries, and replicated the diesel hybrids used in some offshore working boats, so seems quite a different prospect.

With this boat, the set up is definitely a turn off - but I'm wondering if it's a deal breaker or something I could live with...

4 minutes ago, captain flint said:

Are you a big fan of electric boats, clued up on the ins and outs of charging, discharging, range? Keen on battery management, solar technologies and the like?

If not, don't buy this. 

Richard

• Greenie 1

On 17/12/2017 at 22:20, captain flint said:

No doubt. Must confess, it wasn't supposed eco credentials that appealed to me, just whether or not the damn thing will work!! 

It won't, which is why it is for sale at an apparently low price.

• Greenie 1