Plumbing questions

imranino

Featured Posts

Hi you lovely lot! I’m refitting my galley at the other end of the boat and as a result I’m reorganising the plumbing. I have a few questions I’d love your input on!

1) on the previous set up, there was a T join right after the pump going to the Calorifier. In my new set up, the T will be after the kitchen sink. Is that an issue?

2) there was a stop valve after said T to the calorifier. Should I replace it?

3) I’m thinking of fitting a gas boiler. If I do so, is there any reason to keep the calorifier? 

Thanks so much!

10 minutes ago, imranino said:

Hi you lovely lot! I’m refitting my galley at the other end of the boat and as a result I’m reorganising the plumbing. I have a few questions I’d love your input on!

1) on the previous set up, there was a T join right after the pump going to the Calorifier. In my new set up, the T will be after the kitchen sink. Is that an issue?

Depends on the pump flow rate, but if you turn on the galley cold tap it could give reduced flow from the hot, maybe more an issue if you turn on the cold tap whilst someone is in the shower.

2) there was a stop valve after said T to the calorifier. Should I replace it?

It's there to allow the hot system to be isolated which may have simply been done originally to give water at the galley sink whilst fitting out the rest of the boat's hot water system.  I did this on my boat.  Since the fit out was finished, I've never used the tap.  It could also be of use if you drain down the calorifier/hot system for the witer, but allows you to use the boat in winter, leaving only the pump & a bit of cold pipe to drain down each time it's forecast to be cold.

3) I’m thinking of fitting a gas boiler. If I do so, is there any reason to keep the calorifier? 

A colorifier is free heat after a long run, and gives plenty of flow of hot water for a shower as opposed to a bit of a dribble from some (assuming this is what you mean) instant water heaters.  On the other hand it takes up space and if your trips are short, or a day or so apart will rarely be hot, so not much use unless you have a heating boiler.

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much for your insight. Ok yes that makes a lot of sense - it was very clumsily put together and probably only there for the installation. 

I’ll make sure we’re careful using water when the shower is in use!

i think I’ll probably move the calorifier out once I’ve got a boiler ;)

On my first boat we fitted an Aldi gas boiler for hot water and central heating. It absolutely ate gas to the tune of a 13 kg bottle roughly every ten days. A little less in summer, but not much. The fridge was also gas so that did not help. Now I have diesel fired heating and hot water. Much cheaper.

Merry Christmas all :captain:

Although not legislated and obviously not necessarily comparable but makes good working practice in a domestic situation fit as many FULL BORE isolating valves as possible and budget allows. Also it is prudent to limit possible contamination to have your drinking water as the first take off point. 

39 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Also it is prudent to limit possible contamination to have your drinking water as the first take off point. 

Great, I've now got my pump and accumulator right next to the tank, then a T 1) to a water filter to the cold tap in the kitchen (less than 1m of pipe from the tank) and 2) to the rest of the boat.

On 12/18/2017 at 14:11, imranino said:

i think I’ll probably move the calorifier out once I’ve got a boiler ;)

If you are thinking of an instant inline gas boiler there are currently no models available for marine installation as the supply of Morso heaters is no longer available, as I understand it there are no other ones a gas safe engineer can install in your boat and any non marine certified boiler would probably invalidate your insurance. Please check before getting rid of your calorifier.