How to top up a lead acid battery

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

Hmmm that looks like the filler hole on all el cheapo generic leisure batteries whatever the label. At the base of that leg (IIRC) is a horizontal section of plastic which is the indicator showing the level to which you top up. 

Sadly I don't have any el cheapos to hand at the moment to photograph more clearly. Maybe someone else has?

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hmmm that looks like the filler hole on all el cheapo generic leisure batteries whatever the label. At the base of that leg (IIRC) is a horizontal section of plastic which is the indicator showing the level to which you top up. 

Sadly I don't have any el cheapos to hand at the moment to photograph more clearly. Maybe someone else has?

Thanks Mike. Dont worry about the photos. An auto fill bottle is what I need. Yep they are cheapo generics as above.

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Thanks Mike. Dont worry about the photos. An auto fill bottle is what I need. Yep they are cheapo generics as above.

Ok! 

I'm faintly puzzled though. I have never needed to top up batteries unless subjecting them to an equalisation they will never forget. Have you been equalising yours? I'm wondering why they need topping up in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok! 

I'm faintly puzzled though. I have never needed to top up batteries unless subjecting them to an equalisation they will never forget. Have you been equalising yours? I'm wondering why they need topping up in the first place.

The engine start battery was quite low and needed a lot of topping up, but this looks quite an old battery and probably 5 years of neglect. The domestic has 3 new ones ( when we got the boat in May) and 3 others which are circa a year old. The levels are fine now but the SGs are a tad low on the older ones so I want to start doing the odd equalization charge hence the need to be able to top up if needed.

8 minutes ago, alvicchas1 said:

Hi, If you go for the auto fill bottle option you could save a bit on this one: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/water-fillers/1968222/

I'd just try it one one hole first and double check it has got the level right.

The type I'm familiar with from many years ago is one like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-OE-Tool-Kit-battery-Filler-Bottle-distilled-water-Classic-Cars-motorbike/382311261081

The tip needs to be pressed down upon the moulded in bar or lip (and NOT the battery plates!), which needs a lot more skill where access is difficult, so I'd try out the other type first...

Edited by smileypete