Calorifire immersion heating.

wullie

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, wullie said:

What type of job is it to install immersion heater into calorifire, there is a large brass plug in the end, is this the position for the element to heat water?

Sounds like the removable plug for an immersion heater. You then need an immersion heater and suitable cable to go into 240v mains, isolated from your inverter. (if you have one) I have all of this ready/in place but for me removing the plug is another matter as it's an old calorifier with a seized plug in an awkward position. :)

15 minutes ago, RichM said:

Sounds like the removable plug for an immersion heater. You then need an immersion heater and suitable cable to go into 240v mains, isolated from your inverter. (if you have one) I have all of this ready/in place but for me removing the plug is another matter as it's an old calorifier with a seized plug in an awkward position. :)

You can run the immersion from the inverter if the inverter is powerful enough - only with the engine running - and make sure the immersion thermostat is set below the engine running temp.  It will speed up the time taken to heat the calorifier with the engine on a fast idle, but if you forget to turn it off when you stop the engine your batteries will not last long, so it's a risky strategy and YOU WILL forget to turn of the immersion when stopping the engine.