Messing with the polis

GUMPY

Featured Posts

I was gonged loads of times by Wolseley 6/90's, 110's and Rover 90's in London southeast, which had a wonderful electric bell mounted on the front bumper. They sounded much more important than the silly siren's copied from America. 

Edited by bizzard

On 17/12/2017 at 15:20, D. W. Walker said:

Here's my Wolseley 4/44, you could outrun this on a pushbike!

DSCF0175.JPG

Hey my Grandad had one of them when I was a brat. 

He never used it though, much to my disappointment, always preferring to use his push bike (complete with classy Sturmey Archer hub dynamo for the lights.). I now know why not. Thanks!

20 minutes ago, D. W. Walker said:

DSCF0175.JPG

A Family Member had one in the 1960's ,he hankered after the 15/50 Version ,It was  Heavy Car and Comfortable but at 1200 cc it was woefully underpowered.

The 15/50 Engine was  ,of course a BMC 1.5 , which is still in use Today as a common Boat Engine.

Edited by cereal tiller

3 hours ago, Jess-- said:

I feel left out....

in my youth the local police had 2 vehicles in the area.

1. a mini metro
2. pushbike

it was debatable which one was easier to outrun

We could never out run the old bill.

Every time we did manage it, upon returning home they were already in the front room having a cuppa with the parents.

The bobbies back than knew where everyone lived.

7 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

4 headlights on the front and a blue flasher on the roof you couldn't outrun them 2.5 Pis. There are loads of non plod 2000 and 2.5 in rural Victoria, but strangely non of the real fearmaster jam sandwiches the dreaded 3.5 sdi rover.

if you got one of them in the mirrors it was hang a left abandon MG and go and report it joyridden ( again) and then have phone in the anonymous tip from the phone box so they would find it for you.... happy days and the statute of limitations has gone

Cant have been me in the SDi cos I would  have caught you. The p6 however was a better car but they were all but gone when I joined I had a few months in the last P6 in the force.

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Cant have been me in the SDi cos I would  have caught you. The p6 however was a better car but they were all but gone when I joined I had a few months in the last P6 in the force.

The SDi conked out a lot though.  Submersed petrol pump problems, Electronic ignition trouble. I converted a few back to contact breaker ignition to make them reliable. Front suspension TCA's bottom swivels knocked out quickly to. And rain water leaks all around the door seals and the big back window.

2 hours ago, D. W. Walker said:

DSCF0175.JPG

A favourite for new formula stock car racing, that and the MG ZA and ZB. The engine in the 4/44 was the original engine in the first of the Austin Devons. The beginning of the B series petrol engine.

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The SDi conked out a lot though.  Submersed petrol pump problems, Electronic ignition trouble. I converted a few back to contact breaker ignition to make them reliable. Front suspension TCA's bottom swivels knocked out quickly to. And rain water leaks all around the door seals and the big back window.

And electrical problems. I dismantled one, it must have more connectors in the doors than most cars had in the whole vehicle. Madness

Richard

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Absolutely Biz. They front window seals used to go very early, a good tip was always open that bloomin big glove box on the nearside and check if it was full of rainwater :lol: I had one of the 3.5s and the central locking went on and off as ya hit potholes.

Just now, RLWP said:

And electrical problems. I dismantled one, it must have more connectors in the doors than most cars had in the whole vehicle. Madness

Richard

They weren't good. The odd ones seemed to be fairly trouble free though.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

The Rover Sterling with the Honda V6 was fast.

Very. I looked after one for a mate for a couple of weeks. I wondered why he told me what speed the rev limiter cut in when he handed over the keys. I found out a few days later while driving 'enthusiastically'.

My goodness, that thing could shift

Richard

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Very. I looked after one for a mate for a couple of weeks. I wondered why he told me what speed the rev limiter cut in when he handed over the keys. I found out a few days later while driving 'enthusiastically'.

My goodness, that thing could shift

Richard

And the auto gearbo was very brisk. If you booted one away from a standsitill on full throttle they'd screach the front tyres a bit on each gearchange.

26 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The Rover Sterling with the Honda V6 was fast.

Yup  I had one of those when I was in one of my pubs. One of the great joys of being a pub landlord is/was that as there was NO commuting we always had the biggest best cars like jags or anything big because we didnt give too hoots about fuel consumption. I ran a Daimler double six for three years absolutely awesome  car.

The MG was well tuned stage 3 plus but not up to v8 jam sandwich. Anything else police was debatable .

spitfire stage 2 fast but fearful round roundabouts of yiewsley and west Drayton.  We ended up putting a 2 litre Dohc Alfa engine into a brown mk3 cortina estate ( coz we could) that certainly confused people as we did nothing to the rusty body and added 1300 badges. Fun days and we survived, no one got hurt.

police got very enthusiastic about my lime green Saab coupled with us living on the boat. Rushed to interview us after reports of body being dumped out of lime green Saab in Nottingham into canal ( car was regd there while we lived on boat in uxbridge.) polic pulled me into shovel car park and started arresting me. Then one walked to back of my car and shouted to his partner' forget it it's a saloon not a hatch. ' The other cop looked at me and said you've grown up a bit we haven't had this one stolen yet how's the MG..

never got nicked and ended up working with the home office and police in later years...