Navigating River Trent

Tuttifruity

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tuttifruity said:

We’re still at Rotherham station as we’ve needed to get prescriptions from Paul’s doctors in Sheffield. He’d had enough to last the journey but Tinsley breaking down was a stretch too far. One thing we’ve found on our travels in the winter is the lock keepers aren’t usually on duty, the yellow light is lit, so I wonder if Dave will be at ickles?

The big automated locks are on self operation pretty much all year round nowadays. CRT come along to operate them when Exol Pride is coming through but that's about it. 

Edited by Alway Swilby

As the above says, they aren't at Ickles, you can't just go up as all the locks are locked and they meet you at Jordan's on the given booked day and assist you up the flight through the last lock No1,  the furthest you can go is to Ickles I do not know what yellow light your looking at as there is no light system in place anywhere on the next stretch,  they are only only used on the electric locks you've just went through, from where you are it's all manual locks. The water level is up from Sheffield to Tinsley, but that is more likely to do with the weather not the pumps, just ring the lock keepers and they will update. Have a walk to the lock and have a look at the safety/water level indicator and see what the water level is at, red/amber/green??

Edited by PD1964

30 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

The big automated locks are on self operation pretty much all year round nowadays. CRT come along to operate them when Exol Pride is coming through but that's about it. 

Their are volunteer lockies on some of the locks Eastwood has one on a wednsday sometimes and Doncaster flood lock had one very regularly last summer. The Exol Pride will have passed you on Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning? If I want a quick trip to Doncaster I sometimes go off before the pride and the lockies will put you through before it, helps if you are single handed

Just to let you know the water level is rising now, temporary pump now in place so will continue to rise over the next few days, still about a foot lower then normal, at least not irrelevant information for the remainder of your journey unlike above.

Edited by PD1964

Cheers all, I tried contacting Tinsley Locks for a booking or update this morning, but no reply, so I went on the train at last to sawley to pick up the car. Partner had to find a vet for one of pouches as her face had blown up like a balloon (did look funny though) so time’s run out again and we’re still at Rotherham.  Getting up early and will defo move to ickles, we had a prowler round about 3.30am so Paul mooned at him through the window which sent him fleeing over the road workers’ high fencing! I wonder what he’ll waggle at him if he returns tonight??

Be careful if you're heading up to Ickles. As you leave the cut from Rotherham lock you'll be on a short river section before you head right towards Ickles. The river is high at the moment and a lot of crap will have been swept down into the slack water outside the court buildings. I'd head back to Eastwood and hang on there. It might look bleak but it's safe enough.

• Greenie 1

Go have a look for yourself, you can walk the towpath to Ickles, the water level boards will give you an indication of the river, it's only a 5 minute run to Ickles from the lock. There will be a bit more debris on the river this time of the year it's just the norm, the worse of the debris will be when you leave Holmes passing the wear. Go for a walk and have a look in the morning.

Edited by PD1964

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Just to let you know the water level is rising now, temporary pump now in place so will continue to rise over the next few days, still about a foot lower then normal, at least not irrelevant information for the remainder of your journey unlike above.

Yawn

3 hours ago, Tuttifruity said:

Cheers all, I tried contacting Tinsley Locks for a booking or update this morning, but no reply, so I went on the train at last to sawley to pick up the car. Partner had to find a vet for one of pouches as her face had blown up like a balloon (did look funny though) so time’s run out again and we’re still at Rotherham.  Getting up early and will defo move to ickles, we had a prowler round about 3.30am so Paul mooned at him through the window which sent him fleeing over the road workers’ high fencing! I wonder what he’ll waggle at him if he returns tonight??

If you are going to Iccles take a walk up to the lock and set it first, then give your other half a call to come through its only a five minute walk as others have said. It also gives you a look at the state of the river, the current can be very fast and if the board is in the red dont go. In the 13 or fourteen years I have been boating I have done this trip 3 - 4 times a year, and another day spent where you are is better than a pile of crap around your prop, and you stuck on Rotherham weir.

I have often called the lockies at Tinsley and had no reply but they normally ring back the next day so fingers crossed they will call you tomorrow.

• Happy 1

Looking at the weather here in Chesterfield over the last few days I suspect the river might be high for a good few days. Whilst walking Taff yesterday I went over the Don and it was up high and flowing fast, last night did not provide any respite from the rain and today isnt looking good either

Hi all, we’re back from a couple of days away, we had a look at the river after Rotherham lock and thought no chance, so we went back to Eastwood lock and are staying there. Nice bunch they are too. I’ll keep  giving Tinsley lock keeper a bell to see how they’re getting on this week.

we had to laugh, when someone said ‘the Exol Pride’. We thought I wonder what that is, a big boat, maybe? It’s now parked opposite us at Eastwood, it’s a massive, huge thing, it should be at sea!!!! :D

30 minutes ago, Tuttifruity said:

Hi all, we’re back from a couple of days away, we had a look at the river after Rotherham lock and thought no chance, so we went back to Eastwood lock and are staying there. Nice bunch they are too. I’ll keep  giving Tinsley lock keeper a bell to see how they’re getting on this week.

we had to laugh, when someone said ‘the Exol Pride’. We thought I wonder what that is, a big boat, maybe? It’s now parked opposite us at Eastwood, it’s a massive, huge thing, it should be at sea!!!! :D

No, The Exol Pride is just a proper canal boat and not one of those tiddly things we live on from the midlands. Maybe you can see why many of us from oop norrf say why we use vhf radio as such as the Pride will say when for instance its approaching skew bridge in Knottingley so you keep out the way. If one of those canal boats hits a narrowboat its simply game over, a bit like you stamping on a coke can. :D

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Tuttifruity said:

It goes to sea the Pride that is thats why I gave you the warning! Over the years we have had some surprise meetings with the Pride, but for me its what makes the waterways, proper boats on proper waterways just wish there was more commercial traffic left.

14 minutes ago, peterboat said:

It goes to sea the Pride that is thats why I gave you the warning! Over the years we have had some surprise meetings with the Pride, but for me its what makes the waterways, proper boats on proper waterways just wish there was more commercial traffic left.

I love the A and C. One of our fave moorings was Whitely bridge, also below any of the big locks when commercial traffic was around. We will be up there again this year but allas its nearly all gone :( We live in hope though that some may return.

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I love the A and C. One of our fave moorings was Whitely bridge, also below any of the big locks when commercial traffic was around. We will be up there again this year but allas its nearly all gone :( We live in hope though that some may return.

With luck we will see you out and about though with luck we might be on a trip to the calledonian canal by big boat which weather permitting will take just over a month

• Happy 1

18 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

You need to ring the lock keepers at Tinsley ASAP they need to speak to you. 

Don't think she has been online for a while. Anyway I have just texted her this post so she will get the information :cheers:

Hi all, I’ve been out all day so thanks for this. I’ll give the lock keeper a bell in the morning, but I can’t see us getting past Rotherham lock yet with all the rain we’ve had. He probably wants to give us an update on Tinsley repairs. Who’d have thought we’d be stuck here for over a week??

ps I’ve never seen so many footballs adrift in the canals over our journey. I could open a sportshop if I fish them out

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Tuttifruity said:

Hi all, I’ve been out all day so thanks for this. I’ll give the lock keeper a bell in the morning, but I can’t see us getting past Rotherham lock yet with all the rain we’ve had. He probably wants to give us an update on Tinsley repairs. Who’d have thought we’d be stuck here for over a week??

ps I’ve never seen so many footballs adrift in the canals over our journey. I could open a sportshop if I fish them out

Well you are downstream of the Rotherham United ground. Just by the river on the way to Icles lock. Maybe that is where they are coming from. It must be frustrating. I was once stuck at Eastwood Lock for a week while the river was in flood. Usually the Don tends to rise quickly and fall quickly. The last few weeks there seems to have been one spell of wet weather after another, plus the pumps going phut.

Jen

4 hours ago, Tuttifruity said:

i remember the first time I went up the Lea from where the olympic park is now to Tottenham lock. I counted 57 footballs. It runs past Hackney Marshes which I believe has about 90 football pitches marked out and is packed every sunday.

16 hours ago, Tuttifruity said:

I walked past you yesterday morning you were running the engine, as for the footballs I have no idea where they come from but there is a lock between the football ground and our section of canal, its one of those mysteries in life I think?

You will know when the river is going down the crew will move the Pride back to Hull to fill her up with oil to bring back to Rotherham.

I didn’t go online in the morning as I was sorting out picking up a van in Sheffield,  I meant the number of footballs on our total journey from the Peak Forest canal, especially from the River Trent onwards. Have left another message with the lock keeper. Here’s hopingrhoping

• Happy 1