Navigating River Trent

Tuttifruity

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It was always a friendly yard. We had a winter mooring in there winter of 91 or there abouts it was our third winter living aboard and I have pictures of us frozen solid in there that winter. Does it still have the little club house with great sunday dinners for the residents? They were about to build a house in the grounds when we were there. Those poxy bridges are a right pain in the butt innitt!! Your advice re he present state of the bridge is brilliant and just what the forum is about ( apart from the banter ) :cheers:

Are you referring to Bluewater, or Thorne Boatyard?

Nothing at Bluewater now, I've been there for 4 years, still very friendly, but the clubhouse hasn't been open during my stay.

Why they didn't put in a manually operated bridge I'll never know!!

Kevin

5 minutes ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Are you referring to Bluewater, or Thorne Boatyard?

Nothing at Bluewater now, I've been there for 4 years, still very friendly, but the clubhouse hasn't been open during my stay.

Why they didn't put in a manually operated bridge I'll never know!!

Kevin

Bluewater twas. As for manualy operated bridges, don't be silly that would make sense they used to work all over the system todays " Progress " means they use electronics and hydraulics to build in problems that were never there and thus they can go wrong and DO go wrong all over the place. Remember we have to make it so people don't break their fingernails or get their hands dirty whilst boating nowadays :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Tuttifruity said:

Hello everyone! We spent last night in Newark and spoke to the lovely chap at Cromwell Lock. Went through there this morning and have arrived at Torksey for the night, the river was pretty calm and very pretty all the way.  He advised us to set off at 8.15am to get to  Keadby so fingers crossed! ⚓️

What time do you expect to arrive at Keadby?

I trust you are in the diary and  expected at Keadby.

9 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Hopefully you are enjoying pie tonight at the pub at Torksey. For a range of reasons we have never yet managed to get pie there but people keep telling me how good they are.

I hope there is pie available in your neck of the woods as we intend " Doing " the Chesterfield when we pass this year in april or on the way back down hill sometime later.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Bluewater twas. As for manualy operated bridges, don't be silly that would make sense they used to work all over the system todays " Progress " means they use electronics and hydraulics to build in problems that were never there and thus they can go wrong and DO go wrong all over the place. Remember we have to make it so people don't break their fingernails or get their hands dirty whilst boating nowadays :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Hopefully you are enjoying pie tonight at the pub at Torksey. For a range of reasons we have never yet managed to get pie there but people keep telling me how good they are.

Stanilands has the clubhouse never seen the one at bluewater open ever, As for pie at Torksey its great honestly the best pies ever and huge as well

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I hope there is pie available in your neck of the woods as we intend " Doing " the Chesterfield when we pass this year in april or on the way back down hill sometime later.

Excellent! 

April is too early for Whitsunday Pie but I am sure pie can be arranged. 

Bakewell Tart from Laura's Cafe at Shireoks is not to be missed either. 

Keep me posted closer to the date as there is definitely a pint with your name on it waiting for you at the boat club 

• Happy 1

36 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Stanilands has the clubhouse never seen the one at bluewater open ever, As for pie at Torksey its great honestly the best pies ever and huge as well

Bloomin newbie boaters. The clubhouse was an old wood building and some of the women on the several liveaboard boats used to cook the lunches, very good. They built a house on the site in the very early 90s what the then owner who lived off site had built and moved in to. Was a good community we were only there about 5/6 months but nice people.

8 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Excellent! 

April is too early for Whitsunday Pie but I am sure pie can be arranged. 

Bakewell Tart from Laura's Cafe at Shireoks is not to be missed either. 

Keep me posted closer to the date as there is definitely a pint with your name on it waiting for you at the boat club 

I sure will I need to get all the best spots to stop at etc etc whilst I have been up intut basin a few times we have never done the canal. Most if not all was closed when we first stopped there? winter of 89 so was it all closed then? I simply cant remember.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Bloomin newbie boaters. The clubhouse was an old wood building and some of the women on the several liveaboard boats used to cook the lunches, very good. They built a house on the site in the very early 90s what the then owner who lived off site had built and moved in to. Was a good community we were only there about 5/6 months but nice people.

I sure will I need to get all the best spots to stop at etc etc whilst I have been up intut basin a few times we have never done the canal. Most if not all was closed when we first stopped there? winter of 89 so was it all closed then? I simply cant remember.

You are in for a treat! 

I am not aware that the entire canal has ever been closed but perhaps there was soe sort of stoppage down towards the bottom that meant it wasn't worth venturing out? 

It will be in April when Dawn Rose starts her trip down the canal (pulled by people) heading for The Erewash, a dock and a festival at the end of May 

15 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

It was always a friendly yard. We had a winter mooring in there winter of 91 or there abouts it was our third winter living aboard and I have pictures of us frozen solid in there that winter. Does it still have the little club house with great sunday dinners for the residents? They were about to build a house in the grounds when we were there. Those poxy bridges are a right pain in the butt innitt!! Your advice re he present state of the bridge is brilliant and just what the forum is about ( apart from the banter ) :cheers:

I thought you didn't do marinas.

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Has to be the pie at The White Swan, Torksey. 

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

We were in Blue Water Marina in the 90's, had a Narrowboat called Badger then.. The owner was a chap called Tom (McGowan?), his daughter ran the office and son-in-law, Colin did the brokerage and other bits. The clubhouse is the office now, and yes the moorers used it as a diy bar and cafe on a weekend mostly. It all changed when Stan Agar and Kevin Higgins took over. Stan Agar now has Nationwide Narrowboats on the old Lady line site.

21 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

We were in Blue Water Marina in the 90's, had a Narrowboat called Badger then.. The owner was a chap called Tom (McGowan?), his daughter ran the office and son-in-law, Colin did the brokerage and other bits. The clubhouse is the office now, and yes the moorers used it as a diy bar and cafe on a weekend mostly. It all changed when Stan Agar and Kevin Higgins took over. Stan Agar now has Nationwide Narrowboats on the old Lady line site.

Thanks those names ring a bell and yes Stan did take over from them. Friendly bunch at the time.

12 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

You are in for a treat! 

I am not aware that the entire canal has ever been closed but perhaps there was soe sort of stoppage down towards the bottom that meant it wasn't worth venturing out? 

It will be in April when Dawn Rose starts her trip down the canal (pulled by people) heading for The Erewash, a dock and a festival at the end of May 

I'm nipping up the Lug oil wash last week in march to be docked and blacked. I havnt been to the top for donkeys years :D

It’s me :mellow:.  Lockkeepers were brill on the tidal Trent. Got to Keadby too early! Only took 3 hours from Torksey so trod water for a bit between M180 and Keadby bridges. Thought we could get to stanilands Marina in Thorne but unfortunately every single swing bridge was a b*****d to work, but we thought we’ll make it! We’re nearly there! But no, the final lift bridge decided to play silly b*****s, and caught a white van in between the gates, and refused to budge. Sadly we weren’t through, and CRT Emergency couldn’t fix it tonight. Managed to let the poor sod in the white van out, and we are moored up on the white bollards until the morning at least. Off to find a pub and take away! :mellow:

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Tuttifruity said:

It’s me :mellow:.  Lockkeepers were brill on the tidal Trent. Got to Keadby too early! Only took 3 hours from Torksey so trod water for a bit between M180 and Keadby bridges. Thought we could get to stanilands Marina in Thorne but unfortunately every single swing bridge was a b*****d to work, but we thought we’ll make it! We’re nearly there! But no, the final lift bridge decided to play silly b*****s, and caught a white van in between the gates, and refused to budge. Sadly we weren’t through, and CRT Emergency couldn’t fix it tonight. Managed to let the poor sod in the white van out, and we are moored up on the white bollards until the morning at least. Off to find a pub and take away! :mellow:

I cycled over Gunness (Keadby) bridge about 11-00 this morning on my way home, you must've been very close by then. If you haven't already read my earlier post about Thorne pedestrian bridge, please do so, it's the next one after you get through Wykewell bridge, strange, that one's usually easy and well maintained. Don't forget to give Halcyon a wave, she's on the right just after the pedestrian bridge.

Glad the Trent went well for you.

Kevin

9 hours ago, Tuttifruity said:

Ps. Never driven the boat so fast, we thought it was about 7 mph so got that wrong! Anyway, one day we might reach Sheffield. I wonder if Tinsley locks are broken until May!  Will wave to Halcyon when going past

Don't forget, you need to book the Tinsley flight, 24 hours notice. If you manage today, Sprotborough is a nice place to stop.

Kevin