Ice on the North Stratford

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I'm heading out of Birmingham don't to Lapworth-ish tomorrow and I'm looking for a current ice update on the W&B to Kings Norton and then on the Stratford.  Is it thick?  Is it passable?  Has anyone been through and broken it up?

I was pretty surprised at how thick it was in places yesterday on the Soho Loop in places where the sun hadn't reached.  Haven't had ice like that round here for about 5 years.

Slushy ice together with clear water around the basin at Lapworth this morning. 

Looked more heavily frozen up towards Hockley Heath as we drove past. 

There was a cruiser moored near the WP that had gone this morning. It might have gone up the flight when it opened. 

Hope this helps. 

Yesterday I managed to get from Earlswood to 4 locks down Lapworth. Crikey the ice was thick though. Especially the last bit from the second lift bridge to the top lock. I haven’t dared look to see if I have any blacking left!  The lift bridge was reluctant to work as it clearly hadn’t been raised for a while. The locals were convinced the flight was still shut but it isn’t. 

Staying put until Wednesday now (work commitments). 

The cruiser Victor spotted is about 3 locks above the basin. 

3 hours ago, Dave_P said:

The lift bridge was reluctant to work as it clearly hadn’t been raised for a while.

That lift bridge was reluctant to work in the middle of last summer, either the valves must be completely knackered or there's no fluid left. Only just managed to get it high enough to get the boat under. The locals told us it's always like that.

28 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

That lift bridge was reluctant to work in the middle of last summer, either the valves must be completely knackered or there's no fluid left. Only just managed to get it high enough to get the boat under. The locals told us it's always like that.

That bridge has always been at PITA, possibly even worse in the cold, but always a struggle

9 hours ago, Dave_P said:

Managed to get it to lift about 6 inches but then stopped.  Found that by lowering it then raising it, each time it came up a bit further.  

It was like that when we came through in September!  As said above though, it's always been a pig but seems to be getting worse.

Ice thick on the GU north of Navigation Inn but just about breakable a day or 2 ago. Still no boats moving though.