Dog walking

Featured Posts

We have a Siberian husky, who is a lovely dog/part wolf but isn’t really quite like other dogs I have had in my life. He has various habits that could drive me nuts if I wasn’t so relaxed, but one thing he does has me mystified. He has done it since we have had him, which is 3 1/2 years now, and he is 10 1/2.

He will be walking along a road or path in the woods that he has often been along before, and at a point that he decides, and with no obvious reason, he will just stop, yawn, and refuse to go any further. He did it just now, out walking along what used to be a railway line, fields and woods all round, and after a mere 200 mètres walk from the car, he just stopped, yawned and turned round. We know from experience that there is no point in trying to get him to change his mind: if one tries to get him to do something he doesn’t want to do, he will lie down and refuse to move until we decide to go where he wants to go. He has in the past laid down in the square here, all of 50 metres from our front door, and refused to move, causing me to drag him along on his side, to the vast amusement of all the witnesses around us. Huskies are well known for being stubborn, but I would love to know why he just takes against a previously popular walk.

Indeed. Friends bought a Husky pup many years ago when they were quite an unusual sight. Despite their efforts, he didn't really see them as much of an influence in his life. They did not even seem to be seen as pack mates, let alone his superiors. You've certainly chosen yourself a challenging breed!

That might explain why I'm on my third Labrador! :D

49 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Indeed. Friends bought a Husky pup many years ago when they were quite an unusual sight. Despite their efforts, he didn't really see them as much of an influence in his life. They did not even seem to be seen as pack mates, let alone his superiors. You've certainly chosen yourself a challenging breed!

That might explain why I'm on my third Labrador! :D

He is a very well trained dog, will sit, stay, come when called (most of the time), and we think he looks on us as the pack leaders. I am definitely the boss as far as he is concerned, which is both good and bad news.

Labradors are lovely, we have a friend who has one, that is recovering from its second hip operation. €1600 per operation.

Our husky has so far cost us next to nothing at the vet, just annual jabs. He is on a diet at the moment, as rather like labs, he will eat all day if given the chance, and he will eat just about anything, particular favourites are sweet potatoes, walnuts (which he carefully cracks the shells of then eats every piece) and apples.

Edited by Stilllearning
Idiot spill chucker

8 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

My lab will also eat anything, but is especially partial to poo (cat, dog, rabbit, sheep, any poo in fact), apples, berries of all types, acorns, hazelnuts, wheat and grass. I don't know why I bother buying her food, actually.

Our lab adores Goose poo :(

26 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I was bemoaning the eating habits of Lobo the husky and a local pointed out to me that he is a dog, and dogs do have disgusting eating habits. I wasn’t expecting him to go crazy for the parings off horses hooves though.

I used to have 3 Border Collies and my wife worked with horses, whenever the blacksmith came to do the trimming on the hooves the dogs went mad for the cut offs. Similar stuff to the expensive chews that people buy.

2 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

He will be walking along a road or path in the woods that he has often been along before, and at a point that he decides, and with no obvious reason, he will just stop, yawn, and refuse to go any further.

My Salukis flatly refuse to even go outside when it is raining and have to physically pushed out to relieve themselves.

They treat me with total disdain if I suggest a walk in cold or wet weather.

Unlike Huskies though they do have an excuse...They are desert dogs more accustomed to chasing antelope through the Arabian dunes than squelching through English mud.

The yawn is often a sign of stress so maybe the dog has seen or smelled or just sensed something that it doesn't like. Dogs do appear to be very tuned in to some things that we just don't see, and I sometimes think they have a vivid imagination too. Mimsies I suspect.

..............Dave