Stoke-Derby Road

Heartland

Featured Posts

Whatever happened to the crossing over the Derby Canal by the A564. There was a plan to divert the restoration project to a new bridge site, but that was some 20 years ago. Despite a lot of different schemes being proposed including the swinging aqueduct over the Derwent. Not a lot has been achieved.

I think some restorations will never happen, despite immense local interest a few years ago, once the road was built the costs are off the roof. That's why L&HCRT got there M6 toll aqueduct in BEFORE the toll road opened (IIRC at a 1/6th of the future cost).

There is a lot to be said for the far sighted Lichfield & Hatherton Trust whose latest challenge is to raise funds for the railway underbridge near Lichfield.

As to the Derby Canal this 1996 artistic impression may have been a reality now:

678005.jpg

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

There is a lot to be said for the far sighted Lichfield & Hatherton Trust whose latest challenge is to raise funds for the railway underbridge near Lichfield.

As to the Derby Canal this 1996 artistic impression may have been a reality now:

678005.jpg

Which is more or less what the Worcester and Birmingham does at Alvechurch, to cross the M42, and how the Rochdale gets under the M62, although in that case they converted an existing farm bridge under the motorway (and mightily p*ssed of the farmer).

I knew the landscape artist who drew that - can remember her first name, Jane, but not her surname, it was based on the engineers suggestions, it was one of my first "professional" canal jobs back ij 1995 (I think I'd worked on the Ashby before then).

The problem was that the highways agency wouldn't play ball, and basically steamrollered over the canal despite our representations. we then came up with another scheme which would leave the T&M below Swarkestone Lock and go under the Stoke-Derby Trunk road where the farm access is one the artist's impression. I think, however, faced with a new junction and lock, a lot of the emotional momentum evaporated. 

The through route would be a good scheme, and back then I fondly imagined that by now I'd be taking my dutch barge through the Derby Canal - I haven't got the dutch barge either! There are a lot of problems though, and the current political and funding climate isn't favourable to expensive restoration projects. Cheap ones may be a different matter