AGM versus Gel batteries

Cloudinspector

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

The more I read up on lithiums, the less I like them. Can't charge when temp below 0 C. Wouldn't have been much use this week then! 

Perhaps not quite as bad as it seems in practice. My engine space minimum temperature so far this year (and we had -12c outside earlier this week) was +1.7c, because quite a lot of it is under water (or ice for the last few days).  That's an enclosed trad stern, so it may worse under a cruiser stern.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I bet they have other hidden traps too that are only discovered once purchased and installed.

Yes, they act as a portal to another dimension and BAD THINGS come out of it:unsure:

(Just watched the first series of “stranger things”)

41 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes, they act as a portal to another dimension and BAD THINGS come out of it:unsure:

Nothing good ever came out of an inter-dimensional portal. Trust me on this. I know. I read a lot of sci-fi. 

• Haha 2

On 15/12/2017 at 09:24, WotEver said:

Nothing good ever came out of an inter-dimensional portal. Trust me on this. I know. I read a lot of sci-fi. 

Amps per hour are from an inter-dimensional portal, I reckon. Which rather illustrates your point. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Your brother is also called Bob? Good job he's in Jamaica or things could get confusing!  Are you both named after your Mother's brother?

Are you suggesting Dr Bobs mothers brother is:-

The Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Series 800 Version 2.4 Infiltration-Combat Unit (AKA uncle Bob)

download.jpeg

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Are you suggesting Dr Bobs mothers brother is:-

The Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Series 800 Version 2.4 Infiltration-Combat Unit (AKA uncle Bob)

download.jpeg

Yes of course ,Except Barb has the 97 HP Ecofan Pump Action Draught Eliminator Jobby.( similar to the ROBERT COP Model)

Edited by cereal tiller
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Yes they aren’t too good at low temperature, but then since they don’t emit nasty acidic or explosive hydrogen fumes, you could install them in a heated part of the boat.

How often does the engine bay drop below 0 degrees?

Our certainly doesn't as it is heated during the winter.

49 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

How often does the engine bay drop below 0 degrees?

Our certainly doesn't as it is heated during the winter.

Not often but it is likely to get close to zero. Adjacent to a steel hull in near zero water. Zero isn’t a cliff edge point, lithiums don’t do well at low temperatures generally.

2 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

Yes of course ,Except Barb has the 97 HP Ecofan Pump Action Draught Eliminator Jobby.( similar to the ROBERT COP Model)

I wish I had some greenies to give out. Not had any since the message last night saying they are all gone. You lot are just cr***ing me up! Sea Dog, CT and Rusty have a virtual one.

27 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Not often but it is likely to get close to zero. Adjacent to a steel hull in near zero water. Zero isn’t a cliff edge point, lithiums don’t do well at low temperatures generally.

Ah, but...

As long as we spec sufficient battery capacity, can't we run the coffee machine or boil a kettle for cocoa before we set off on a morning, so we get under way with a nice hot drink and freshly warmed (by the relatively high discharge)  batteries ready to accept charge? 

As said, if you got 10 years our of your last AMG batteries I would stick with what works. Loads of boats including our own use open wet cells even.

We use expensise German gels at work, but mainly that is so we can't courier and airfreight spares. Cheap 'gel' batteries I understand are often AGM with an inch of gel on top, gives some of the benefits without the more expensive filling process.

Daniel