Land Rovers can drive on water.

MHS

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Cue David Attenborough voice-over...

"And here we have a Wild Range Rover found drinking from a stream on a very cold winter's morning."

:D

"....before taking fish home to its brood of little Rover 200s".

4 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Why Purple?it is not Wide beam!

Sounds good ,Did they have Blacked out Windows?

Just a hint of tint.  I had an uncle who was a coach driver for Grey Green coaches. His boss had him on the the carpet for a report that he'd ovetaken a Midland Red coach at well over 100mph on the M1. His boss told him to  bluddy welldo do it again if he got the oppertunity. Great competition for the services in those days.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Just a hint of tint.  I had an uncle who was a coach driver for Grey Green coaches. His boss had him on the the carpet for a report that he'd ovetaken a Midland Red coach at well over 100mph on the M1. His boss told him to  bluddy welldo do it again if he got the oppertunity. Great competition for the services in those days.

If I had a Purple 4 Wheel Drive Routemaster Turbo 97 Horse power Omnibus I would Black out the Windows with Matt Black Paint ,Suppose the Windscreen Blacking would have extra Thinners to Enhance the Vision?

4 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

If I had a Purple 4 Wheel Drive Routemaster Turbo 97 Horse power Omnibus I would Black out the Windows with Matt Black Paint ,Suppose the Windscreen Blacking would have extra Thinners to Enhance the Vision?

I've got that Flanders & Swann song going through my head now.

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Automatic gearbox and independant front suspension. 6 cylinder Gardner. The very first route Routemasters were put on, I believe was the No 62 route Ilford, Barking, Goodmayes I used to catch them to school in about 1958.

46 minutes ago, bizzard said:

This is it. Why do folk buy the huge SUV's when there's smaller ones like the Suzuki to help cope with icey roads. You only usually ever see just a driver in them, and some of them are 6 or 8 seaters. One little blond tart with a Doberman with its nose poking out of a window invariably, or one little pompous bloke trying to look important.   One reason I think is, like vans you can see over the cars in traffic ahead. But it looks like the SUV's are getting bigger and bigger and taller and taller for the drivers to be able to look over the previous models of Suv's. they'll soon be as big and as tall as double decker buses.:)

there are some jobs that the smaller ones just cant do.

this is what my vehicles used to do for 6 months a year
4055.jpg

the trailer is right on the legal limit for weight
the vehicle used has to be able to pull it (and more importantly stop it) on almost any surface (including freshly ploughed fields)
also has to be able to have a mount fixed on the front (direct to the chassis) for attaching the balloon during launch (if things go wrong you can end up picking the whole vehicle up by this point)

3 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

there are some jobs that the smaller ones just cant do.

this is what my vehicles used to do for 6 months a year
4055.jpg

the trailer is right on the legal limit for weight
the vehicle used has to be able to pull it (and more importantly stop it) on almost any surface (including freshly ploughed fields)
also has to be able to have a mount fixed on the front (direct to the chassis) for attaching the balloon during launch (if things go wrong you can end up picking the whole vehicle up by this point)

Must be a Nice Job doing deliveries  For Fortnum and Mason ,bet the Tips were Generous!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

You can also put an Eco fan on top of the burners to fill the balloon faster.

to catch out new staff we used to fire those burners inside a big barn... on mornings when there was ice all over the inside of the roof.

10 second burn used to result in heavy rain 30 seconds later.

could only do it when the barn wasn't too full though.
pic is of one part of the barn when full (I was repairing the one with lights in it when the pic was taken)

rs.jpg.e9698b5bbbe1c1afcb85303039ea1645.jpg

• Greenie 1

The big problem with this current fashion for the "Chelsea Tractor" is the amount of idiots who think, because they have 4wd, they can dive them faster in the snow than 2wd vehicles. 4wd will certainly give you more traction whilst moving but they seem to forget that at some point they will need to break. About 20 years ago I did a bit of minicab driving when I was in between jobs, I did the late shift right through the night. One night it started to snow, by about 3am it was about 3in deep, I pootled about all night at 20-25mph, at around 6am traffic started to build and I just wanted to go home because they kept overtaking me. A rangerover over took me doing about 40mph, which was fine because this was the speed limit on this road, he then had to break hard because the traffic lights changed on him. I watched with a smile as he slid across the junction and sideways into one of the traffic lights.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

The big problem with this current fashion for the "Chelsea Tractor" is the amount of idiots who think, because they have 4wd, they can dive them faster in the snow than 2wd vehicles. 4wd will certainly give you more traction whilst moving but they seem to forget that at some point they will need to break. About 20 years ago I did a bit of minicab driving when I was in between jobs, I did the late shift right through the night. One night it started to snow, by about 3am it was about 3in deep, I pootled about all night at 20-25mph, at around 6am traffic started to build and I just wanted to go home because they kept overtaking me. A rangerover over took me doing about 40mph, which was fine because this was the speed limit on this road, he then had to break hard because the traffic lights changed on him. I watched with a smile as he slid across the junction and sideways into one of the traffic lights.

Yes quite. Four wheel drive simply means four wheel skid when in the hands of most drivers. You will be surprised to know that many people do not even know what the differential does to drive wheels and how it moves drive. People also believe ABS shortens stopping distances and makes the car safer. The list is endless. People mainly pass a very very very basic driving lesson aged 17 ish and have zero further training throughout their life and insist they are " Good " drivers. Many driver training courses exist to many differing levels but people in the main don't take advantage of them and some are free but the ones that are payable and the free ones teach everyone who does them things they had no clue about.

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes quite. Four wheel drive simply means four wheel skid when in the hands of most drivers. You will be surprised to know that many people do not even know what the differential does to drive wheels and how it moves drive. People also believe ABS shortens stopping distances and makes the car safer. The list is endless. People mainly pass a very very very basic driving lesson aged 17 ish and have zero further training throughout their life and insist they are " Good " drivers. Many driver training courses exist to many differing levels but people in the main don't take advantage of them and some are free but the ones that are payable and the free ones teach everyone who does them things they had no clue about.

Personally I think that before a provisional licence is even issued everyone should be made to sit a basic IQ test. The roads would be a lot less congested 

Edited by Bewildered

5 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Personally I think that before a provisional licence is even issued everyone should be made to sit a basic IQ test. The roads would be a lot less congested 

The problem there would be that academics would probably score higher than non academics and yet academics are much harder to teach to drive as they are often less practical at such tasks. This is known to the driver training industry. When I taught in Oxford I had many oxford uni students and they were a good income as they generaly ( not always ) took more lessons to become competent.

39 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

The big problem with this current fashion for the "Chelsea Tractor" is the amount of idiots who think, because they have 4wd, they can dive them faster in the snow than 2wd vehicles.

Probably true.

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

In the mid 80s I worked on road construction in Oman. The contract specified that the Engineer's staff, of which I was one, had to be provided with Landrovers, whereas the contractor provided Toyota Landcruisers for their own staff.  I soon found out why.  My LWB Series 3 Safari was horribly underpowered (you had to switch off the AC in order to get enough oomph to overtake), and the door seals might as well not have been there. The only way to stop the back from filling up with dust coming in round the back door, was to have all the front vents open. If you mounted the spare wheel on the back door, the door fell to bits, if you mounted it on the bonnet, the bonnet fell to bits, so generally it just rolled around inside. While out doing a bit of wadi-bashing one weekend the links supporting one of the rear springs sheered, and I drove back to base with the thing sitting at a drunken angle. On another occasion the hydraulic clutch sprung a leak, and until a replacement part could be obtained I managed by getting the site workshop to refill the system each morning, which was OK for a day's driving, but by the next morning the clutch wouldn't disengage. Not a problem though as I just put it in first gear and turned the key, and there was enough slack in the drive train for the engine to turn over several revs and fire before the vehicle itself moved, and I could then lurch my way across to the workshop for the day's refill!

And that's why they are so good. You can fix them anywhere and if you can't,  they take a bodge very well.

I used to drive a series 1 ex army one. It just kept going. It never went on the road  it never stopped going.

1 hour ago, Bewildered said:

Agree,  spent an amusing few days driving my berlingo van through the country lanes on the Wirral during a rare snowy few days, 4x4 to the left, 4x4 to the right all in hedges.

Also landrover with mudpluggers came over the brow of a hill far to fast and saw me crawling up hill, slams his anchors on and starts sliding down hill sideways towards me, how he stopped I don't know, worst thing was I had lost my momentum,  so couldn't get up the bloody hill

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Other way round, first month driving a series 2 SWB rag top

Or first month driving an articulated lorry so they see how much room is required. Cyclists should also drive them so they finally understand what is meant by a "blind spot"

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Or first month driving an articulated lorry so they see how much room is required. Cyclists should also drive them so they finally understand what is meant by a "blind spot"

And hopefully realise how important headlights are when the roads are full of spray

I’m glad to have opened this thread, which has brought out so many opinions. 

Our 4x4 history is......

Land Rover Series 3. Great but unreliable. Good tow vehicle. Uncomfortable and noisy, but had huge character. 

Suzuki Jimny. Unstoppable off-road with BF Goodridge Mud Terrain tyres. That is if you don’t want to tow. Fun but pretty useless on the road. 

2x LWB Shoguns from new and kept for 5 1/2 years each. Great on and off road. One of the best tow vehicles ever, including many recoveries of stuck Discovery’s. Comfortable and utterly reliable. 

Current car for 3 years, an Outlander Phev. (hybrid) A soft-roader but unstoppable on winter tyres on Sunday in Worcestershire. 6-8 inches of soft snow on the Malvern Hills, and even on the steepest slopes, it never missed a beat. We don’t need the 3.5 ton towing potential now  or the space for 4 dogs, so fine for us now. 

Oh how they smirked and giggled when I bought a 12 year old series one discovery here in rural Australia. ( for $9000) we will be towing you out of the bush and it'll cost you a fortune. Get a nice $35000 used landcruiser. 

5 years on repair report

5 oil changes, 1 turbo hose ( discovered when turning on aircon almost stopped stately progress)

4 pop rivets 1 set windscreen wiper blade

resale $7500

my bosses Toyota landcruiser 

cylinder head and injection pump

35000 car scrapped for parts.

i miss it