Land Rovers can drive on water.

MHS

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Only, it isn't 'Sneyd marina'. It's at the bottom of the disused lock chamber

Thank goodness no-one drowned

Richard

I too am pleased no one drowned. However some good will come out of this in the fact that it will be one less of the dreadful vehicles left.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jerra said:

That won't have destroyed a Land Rover it will be overhaulable.

:D Probably true. They rust so badly a friend of mine with a garage spends fifty percent of his time working on landrovers I kid you not. Apart from the dreadful electrics and mechanics he is to be seen quite often changing the entire chassis. There are companies making a living out of producing them and I am not talking realy old ones either, simply dreadful vehicles. He hates me and my friends who all have Japanese 4 by 4s as he makes no money out of us :lol:

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

My daily driver is a 40 year old series 3....I’ve owned it for 29 years....not many Japanese motors around of that age......mainly cos they have built in obsolescence 

Land Rovers are infinitely repairable, i used to rebuild series 2/3s and they sold in the USA, they went mad for them. I had a series 2a that i put a v8 in, that was a fun drive. They have a character that only old British classics can have, same as the old bikes. I sold my Range Rover last year, a 2002 P38 diesel, terrible reputation for unreliability yet i had zero problems in the 2.5 years i had it, but i knew the time was coming. I now have a 2017 Vitara 4x4, fully loaded with all the toys, great car but like all Jap stuff has no soul at all. New ones i would not touch with a long pole.

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

:D Probably true. They rust so badly a friend of mine with a garage spends fifty percent of his time working on landrovers I kid you not. Apart from the dreadful electrics and mechanics he is to be seen quite often changing the entire chassis. There are companies making a living out of producing them and I am not talking realy old ones either, simply dreadful vehicles. He hates me and my friends who all have Japanese 4 by 4s as he makes no money out of us :lol:

Have a Neighbour who owns a 1969 Land Rover ,it has had 2 new Chassis and completer rebuilds ,his Wife call it a Motorised Meccano set!

In Australia they say "if you want to go into the Outback take a Land Rover ,if you want to come back again take a Toyota Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol"

• Happy 1

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The chassis certainly when I had a Landie was the only bit to rust and one chassis change for a galvanised one was usually the end of that problem.  How many Jap machines are still running after 50 years?

12 minutes ago, frangar said:

My daily driver is a 40 year old series 3....I’ve owned it for 29 years....not many Japanese motors around of that age......mainly cos they have built in obsolescence 

If medals as big as dustbin lids were available I would give you one as you deserve one for driving that for so long :) truly dreadful as they are.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

If medals as big as dustbin lids were available I would give you one as you deserve one for driving that for so long :) truly dreadful as they are.

If they are so dreadful why are there so many around?  I would have thought as a "Little Englander" you would have wanted something made in the UK rather than foreign rubbish.

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The chassis certainly when I had a Landie was the only bit to rust and one chassis change for a galvanised one was usually the end of that problem.  How many Jap machines are still running after 50 years?

That's the problem the chassis IS the vehicle they don't last fifty years no where near. They are hobby vehicles kept alive by continual repair and cost, much like replating a narrowboat hull to extend its life. I had a series 2a with fairey o/d and freewheeling hubs etc in about 85. I had it about a fortnight the wife refused to drive it :lol:

If they are so dreadful why are there so many around?  I would have thought as a "Little Englander" you would have wanted something made in the UK rather than foreign rubbish.

I love JAPANESE cars they are simply the best, way better than the overpriced, over here eu rubbish.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

That's the problem the chassis IS the vehicle they don't last fifty years no where near. They are hobby vehicles kept alive by continual repair and cost, much like replating a narrowboat hull to extend its life. I had a series 2a with fairey o/d and freewheeling hubs etc in about 85. I had it about a fortnight the wife refused to drive it :lol:

They do live for 50 years as they have a chassis.  try replacing the chassis on a modern car Jap or otherwise.  As I said one chassis change is generally all that is needed.  Farmers round here must be heavily into hobby vehicles then as they all seem to drive Land Rovers.  We got our series 3 110 because the wife wanted it and loved driving it.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Right on mrsmelly, they can be kept going forever, however as a daily drive the old ones are well outdated now, bad brakes, zero comfort but valuable and easily/highly nickable. You must be a mechanic and enthusiast to own one. You can always tell old LR owners because they have no fillings left in their teeth and their eyeballs are continuously rotating in their sockets due to vibration. I ran and maintained 6 of these in Bosnia in 1996, i am still vibrating now.

They do live for 50 years as they have a chassis.  try replacing the chassis on a modern car Jap or otherwise.  As I said one chassis change is generally all that is needed.  Farmers round here must be heavily into hobby vehicles then as they all seem to drive Land Rovers.  We got our series 3 110 because the wife wanted it and loved driving it.

Series 3 would have been a 109.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Guys! Telling someone their Land Rover is awful is like telling someone their baby is ugly! Don't do it! Tell them it's lovely and wait til they've gone before you say it looks like a monkey. ;)

The owner or the Land Rover?

During the 1970's when I taught dinghy sailing the boroughs Safari 109'' Land Rover went PLOP into the lake.  It was a very windy day and many of the pupils in the boats had got blown away onto the lee shore. I was out instructing in a boat.  Another instructor who had been bellowing instruction from the the bank jumped into the L/R and drove around to the boats stranded on the lee shore to assist. It was a steep wet grassy bank, he drove  onto it sideways on, it just slid down side sideways PLOP!! Just like that, and began sinking into the mud. I was called in to take my L/R round there to assist. When I got there the driver had scrambled out and was clinging to the roof rack. The Land Rover was gradually turning over  on its starboard side. I threw a rope to it which he tied to its roof rack, I tied the other end to my L/R and took the strain to stop it keeling right over. The instructor scrambled ashore.  Luckily we knew a friendly farmer across the fields who was sumoned, he had a normous great Ford tractor. He arrived with it, staked it in and ran out his winch cable which I waded in and attached. The tractor pulled it out dead easy and half the bank with it.  We were due to take a party of sailing pupils to Bradwell on sea the next day for a bit of sea sailing experience., we had a fleet of Wayfarers there. We worked all night long on the L/R to get it mobile again. Changing all the oiils, and there are a lot of them, new plugs and contact breakers. Petrol tank drained and refilled and cleaned up. It was about 5am on Sunday when it was running again and off to Bradwell at 9am.

One little item  that I forgot to do which didn't materialise until a freezing frosty winters morning . Someone went to use it and the steering was locked up solid. Water in the steering box had frozen solid which I'd forgotten to drain out.

Edited by bizzard

53 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Have a Neighbour who owns a 1969 Land Rover ,it has had 2 new Chassis and completer rebuilds ,his Wife call it a Motorised Meccano set!

In Australia they say "if you want to go into the Outback take a Land Rover ,if you want to come back again take a Toyota Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol"

Back in the early 70s I worked in the UAE, in Dubai then Khor Fakkan, and we had land rovers. The roads were so bad that they were written off the bank’s books after three years. However Toyota land cruisers were written off after one year. The series 2a SWB that I had was knackered but always got me home from some fairly inhospitable places, up mountains or in the desert. The most spectacular things I remember happening was when the rear door fell off one day - driving daily over corrugated sand is really bad for bodywork, and once coming off the beach in 4WD the rear prop shaft broke in half, so I stopped, pulled the spinning broken bit out of the diff, and went home as a front wheel drive Land Rover. The local mechanic was having a coffee in town and was a bit surprised when I waved the prop shaft out of the window at him. :)

I've yet to find a vehicle with all round visibility as good as my old 1990 rangerover (classic 3.9 v8), the landcruiser amazon (4.7 v8) that replaced it is horrible when reversing

Edited by Jess--

Land Rovers which were just driven about on the roads by people who wanted to look powerful and important like the latest trend with enormous brutish 4x4's that have never been on wet grass didn't rust their chassis. It was the hard working ones that did, reversing into sea water to pull out boat trailers ect. Farm use driving over fertilized muddy fields and farm yards, then it was usually only the rear end of the chassis and cross member that rusted.