Diesel Fuel Treatment - Clearwinner LA88

Momac

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, reg said:

Apologise Mross I missed the fact that you had already linked to the article that I linked to later on.

I thought you were linking to the article that was 10 years old.  The link goes to a re-release of a 2011 article that was republished in 2016.  Hence the confusion on my part.  :)

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

So what about when the sun shines and we get this extra 10lt of expanded air coming out. Also how do you tell when a Johny is half inflated

Use a big balloon.   Someone in the French town of Condom might know about blowing a Johny up and send you a letter explaining. Having watched the film ''Porterhouse Blue'' they can blow up pretty big.:)

Edited by bizzard

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

So what about when the sun shines and we get this extra 10lt of expanded air coming out. Also how do you tell when a Johny is half inflated

It would still work with an old style one. Not sure about a modern "extra thin" one, though.

On 13/12/2017 at 23:14, Chewbacka said:

Diesel cars & trucks don't use additives and the motorways aren't littered with broken down vehicles with clogged fuel systems.  But then very few vehicles have fuel in their tanks more than a few week old, and often less.  The fuel they fill up with is also from fuel tanks that are regularly replenished.  However if you are the sort of boater that fills their tank for the winter with fuel from a low turnover place (maybe already a few months old) and are still using it the following autumn then I would suggest diesel bug additives are essential.  Conversely, if you get through many hundreds of litres per year always refilling with fresh fuel then you are probably wasting your money if you dose your fuel.  As to the majority of boaters in between, it's a judgement call and depends upon how close you are to one extreme or the other.

Our rock and roll tour busses have suffered the black slime filter blockages that come with diesel bug.

Webasto won't honour warranties on any new tourbusses unless they are fitted with water-removing filter systems.

Our motor had huge problems on our trip down from Cheshire to the Nene, after several new filters, cleaning the lift pump filter a zillion times, changing the lift pump, and then paying over £200 to have the diesel 'polished' we were still breaking down, resorted to five gallon Jerry cans, no further problems. 

On cutting the sides out of the diesel tank, I found three and a half gallons of thick black slime that the 'polishers' seem to have missed. Grrrr!

Edited by Chop!

3 hours ago, mross said:

Marinas are still allowed to sell FAME-free diesel.  

Norbury Wharf, cheapest mainstream boatyard diesel on the cut.

Nantwich (a little expensive)

All the ABC boatyards (expensive)

The "Boatyard" and associated fuel boat (K&A)  (cheap)

All of these sell FAME FREE at least most of the time.

................Dave

• 1 month later...

The treatment is normally sold, to commercial users , in 5 litre containers as a minimum. So Clearwinner have obtained some 500 ml tins with the likes of us leisure boaters in mind.  
20180111.jpg
500ml is sufficient to treat 1000 litres of diesel, at the recommended dose rate.
For the avoidance of doubt - I have no connection with the company (which is based near  Wetherby - if that helps).

On 14/12/2017 at 14:25, reg said:

Fully agree I know for a fact that diesel bug does exist, found out the costly way. 

I now use Fuelset at each refill, money well spent. 

Not according to the PBO article.

On 14/12/2017 at 17:15, bizzard said:

A half inflated balloon on the breather or a condom which are tougher in case birds peck at it.

It's a popular misconception that polymer/elastomer films are "waterproof" - all will be specified by a water vapour transmission rate given in units of g/m2/24hours. This transmission rate will depend on the film, the temperature and humidity.

Edited by blackrose

22 minutes ago, blackrose said:

On 14/12/2017 at 14:25, reg said:

Fully agree I know for a fact that diesel bug does exist, found out the costly way. 

I now use Fuelset at each refill, money well spent. 

Not according to the PBO article

The PBO article says

"This product gave a very good performance..." 

I have Used it as a maintenance dose  for about 6 to 7 years and have had no reoccurrence of the diesel bug. I use Fuelset only as a maintenance dose.

For curing the bug I would use marine 16 diesel bug treatment again as it worked perfectly last time. 

So for me personaly Fuelset is money well spent. 

Edited by reg
Cus petsonaly is not a word