Opinions on this battery charger pls.

W+T

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

numptie Q, it seems these are like car battery chargers, in that you plug in to the 240v mains, and then clip crocodile jaws on to a battery terminal?

what if you have two batteries?

I think I would rather connect it the other way round, battery end first, mains end second. Less chance of an accidental spark and a big bang.

Two domestic batteries in parallel - the charger just "sees" one battery so it charges - eventually.

One engine and one domestic battery - Option 1. Charge the domestic bank most of the time and then change to the engine bank maybe once a month for a few hours simply to combat self discharge (engine batteries are more or less fully charged most of the time unless the boat has a fault).

Option 2. Stick a jump lead between both bank's positives (assuming conventional wiring) and the charger will just "see" one large battery but the engine battery might discharge itself for a while a sit also charges the domestic batetry but this depends upon the charger output. Remove jump lead when charging stops.

Option 3. Fit a bi-directional VSR so it does option 2 automatically and will also accommodate solar charging and will parallel both alternators on a twin alternator boat.

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I think your first sentence answers your second. Your boat’s getting on a bit now if I recall correctly? And the charger is still working as well as new?

Newmar Chargers are/were Sold as "Marine" which means there is a serious  Mark up on the Price and IIRC the outer Casing is Stainless Steel ,Which means the Charger will still look OK when Salt air has Rotted all the Internals away!:D

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, LadyG said:

numptie Q, it seems these are like car battery chargers, in that you plug in to the 240v mains, and then clip crocodile jaws on to a battery terminal?

No! Not Crocodile Clips ,Useless things. cut clips off an connect to Batteries with Crimped on Ring Terminals and a Suitable Fuse.

The Charger W+T is Discussing has 2 Outputs ,one for Domestic Bank and the other for Engine start Battery.

Edited by cereal tiller
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

CT has answered both of your erroneous assumptions. Namely...

Never use crock clips

It has two outputs specifically to cater for domestic and engine batteries. 

It was worth repeating, so I did. I also gave him a greenie :)

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

I think your first sentence answers your second. Your boat’s getting on a bit now if I recall correctly? And the charger is still working as well as new?

You do indeed recall correctly. NC will be 15 years old in May. 

The charger does still work as good as new. So yes I suppose we have had a fair bit of use out of it over the years!

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

CT has answered both of your erroneous assumptions. Namely...

Never use crock clips

It has two outputs specifically to cater for domestic and engine batteries. 

It was worth repeating, so I did. I also gave him a greenie :)

Sorry, what i should have made clear is ........... do these chargers resemble car battery chargers which are portable, and temporary.

If for example one needs to charge boat batteries, does it have to be portable and temporary ........... the gadgets seemed to come with crocodile clips, and of course the charger would be attached to the battery posts.

My portable battery bank has rather strong croc clips which are designed for the job, the metal jaws can't touch each other.

Is it not possible to have a hard wired system on the boat, requiring a three pin plug to activate it?

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

Newmar Chargers are/were Sold as "Marine" which means there is a serious  Mark up on the Price and IIRC the outer Casing is Stainless Steel ,Which means the Charger will still look OK when Salt air has Rotted all the Internals away!:D

Sounds about right.

Although we did have it in bits a few years ago when we thought it was broken and all looked in good order in there.

Turned out to be a corroded wire on the boat causing the problem not the charger. Still at least it had a good clean out.

Crocodile clips will cause a rapid build up of white salts if there's any humidity in the air.  This corrodes away the battery posts.  This is why it is better to have permanent connections.  Also putting them on/taking them off created sparks.  Charging batteries produce hydrogen.  In a confined space this is unwise..........................

2 hours ago, W+T said:

This one was recommended to me by someone on here and it's been running continuously for 5 years (except when we go out on the boat) with no issues. We are liveaboard with a hookup.

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Sorry, what i should have made clear is ........... do these chargers resemble car battery chargers which are portable, and temporary.

No, quite the opposite. They should be installed in ‘the electrical cupboard‘ hard-wired and fused to the batteries using quality crimped ring terminals. 

23 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Is it not possible to have a hard wired system on the boat, requiring a three pin plug to activate it?

Not just possible but preferred and pretty much the norm. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

tn_20171221_183542.jpg.cf7b95776d11c82de2e494e976cd6c50.jpg

On 12/13/2017 at 19:59, cereal tiller said:

It is a Dead ringer for the Electroquest 30 AMP unit ,mine is on it's 4th winter and on 24/7 ,it cost £93 3 Years ago.they are still around but the Price has likely climbed a little .Schmelly and Alan Fincher have used them too...

Hi CT, i am asking you  this as you have had one for a while.

I got this one as you linked to and it has charged the battery fine and dandy.

This is what i ordered

https://electroquestuk.com/chargers/leisure-battery-chargers-marine-battery-chargers/fully-automatic-5-stage-marine-battery-charger-12v-30a

First it says on the add in the link that it can charge lead acid and Gel batteries, but the instructions say different. Just lead acid in the Notices section.

Then what i can not work out is the button on the front to check the settings. It is not exactly a button but a small hard wiggly thing that does not press or alter the LED digital read out. 

I tried to call them today but no answer and wondering if you know anything before i try calling again tomorrow 

Some pics of my instructions 

sorry cant rotate the pics.

tn_20171221_183542.jpg.cf7b95776d11c82de2e494e976cd6c50.jpgtn_20171221_183553.jpg.775c5d327a1641f49bed6b4b1d673ee6.jpgtn_20171221_183718.jpg.dd3587c1a2de62da133c8b6a779584c1.jpgtn_20171221_183729.jpg.1639e2309b45a430dc7d9976b3f4bbfc.jpg

Just now, W+T said:

tn_20171221_183542.jpg.cf7b95776d11c82de2e494e976cd6c50.jpg

Hi CT, i am asking you  this as you have had one for a while.

I got this one as you linked to and it has charged the battery fine and dandy.

This is what i ordered

https://electroquestuk.com/chargers/leisure-battery-chargers-marine-battery-chargers/fully-automatic-5-stage-marine-battery-charger-12v-30a

First it says on the add in the link that it can charge lead acid and Gel batteries, but the instructions say different. Just lead acid in the Notices section.

Then what i can not work out is the button on the front to check the settings. It is not exactly a button but a small hard wiggly thing that does not press or alter the LED digital read out. 

I tried to call them today but no answer and wondering if you know anything before i try calling again tomorrow 

Some pics of my instructions 

sorry cant rotate the pics.

tn_20171221_183542.jpg.cf7b95776d11c82de2e494e976cd6c50.jpgtn_20171221_183553.jpg.775c5d327a1641f49bed6b4b1d673ee6.jpgtn_20171221_183718.jpg.dd3587c1a2de62da133c8b6a779584c1.jpgtn_20171221_183729.jpg.1639e2309b45a430dc7d9976b3f4bbfc.jpg

When my one is Powered up , the Display defaults to Volts ,press tiny Button once and  AMP.s will be Displayed . have never bothered with the other Stuff.

On Start up RED Lamp on the Left  is on at all times the Right hand Lamp Displays Flashing Orange on Start/Pulse Charge then Steady Orange when Charging , this Lamp will turn Green when Charging Has declined to Float  status.

This Charger is 'Plug and Play' , mine is on all winter when Boat is on Home Mooring.If lLoads are applied when in Float mode the Voltage can reduce to 12.8 OR There abouts then the Charge Cycle will restart Automatically.

Just popped out and removed the charger and looked and found this , i reckon the button is broken, the mount plate has a bend in one corner also which i wasnt bothered about

tn_20171221_191007.jpg.48e8077b1aa57b353d2b0b1de139eaef.jpgtn_20171221_191035.jpg.09a482055dea40ab8e39622207e42527.jpg

15 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

When my one is Powered up , the Display defaults to Volts ,press tiny Button once and  AMP.s will be Displayed . have never bothered with the other Stuff.

On Start up RED Lamp on the Left  is on at all times the Right hand Lamp Displays Flashing Orange on Start/Pulse Charge then Steady Orange when Charging , this Lamp will turn Green when Charging Has declined to Float  status.

This Charger is 'Plug and Play' , mine is on all winter when Boat is on Home Mooring.If lLoads are applied when in Float mode the Voltage can reduce to 12.8 OR There abouts then the Charge Cycle will restart Automatically.

New one Required ,been Bounced in Transit!

I dont mind, i got the charge i need for now from it, but FFS this happens all to often to me, and T agrees i have no luck with these things. Pain having to sedn it back.

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That looks like a broken button to me. I’m guessing poorly packed?

OK, so I have been on to youtube, to learn electricity. John Ward will take your faulty stuff, and tell you what is wrong, no matter that the manufacturer has bamboozled you, he won't be bamboozled. 

I have quirky electrics in my house, and following his vlogs from No1 onwards, I think I have discovered why. Five electricians have previously failed to identify the problem. 

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, W+T said:

I dont mind, i got the charge i need for now from it, but FFS this happens all to often to me, and T agrees i have no luck with these things. Pain having to sedn it back.

You will have a New one next Week ,then you can spend Many Happy Hours Scrolling through the Display ,then . when you Retire you can work out what  all the other Stuff means:D

There maybe an FFS Option on that Menu? it likely causes a Delayed Self Destruct for when you get Fed up with it and go off to learn Taiwanese:D

• Haha 1

Just now, cereal tiller said:

You will have a New one next Week ,then you can spend Many Happy Hours Scrolling through the Display ,then . when you Retire you can work out what  all the other Stuff means:D

There maybe an FFS Option on that Menu? it likely causes a Delayed Self Destruct for when you get Fed up with it and go off to learn Taiwanese:D

I still need to understand the instructions lol. read them many times last night with no better understanding.

I may never use them all, but it is broke and i am a picky sun of a ......

1 minute ago, W+T said:

I still need to understand the instructions lol. read them many times last night with no better understanding.

I may never use them all, but it is broke and i am a picky sun of a ......

Obtain Replacement .Plug in and get on with your Boat Fit out ,Have been Professionally Involved in  close to 200 New Builds and Restorations and am Impressed by your approach , so get on with it!

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Obtain Replacement .Plug in and get on with your Boat Fit out ,Have been Professionally Involved in  close to 200 New Builds and Restorations and am Impressed by your approach , so get on with it!

Bit bossy aint you. cracking the hip hey. 

T popped out today for this weekends supplies for this weekends work and over xmas. So work will be done. I got power again so i can get on with more work. 

Ah see always happens to me as today i have been waiting for near 3 weeks for a sheet and the last one of Sapele veneer and he calls me to say he it a more of a white Oak colour, now i cant get there now untill after xmas to take a sample to see for a match up. for shade of colour.

And breath and have another Brandy :)

• Greenie 1

I think you have been dead unlucky.

Even half way packed it should have been fairly hard for even the most careless courier / postman to cause the button to break off.  Quite an achievement, I would say. :huh:

If you don't want to tweak any settings, it will of course be working just as if the button were not broken, but until you have a replacement you'll not be able to toggle through to see things like how many amps it is delivering.

20 minutes ago, W+T said:

Ah see always happens to me as today i have been waiting for near 3 weeks for a sheet and the last one of Sapele veneer and he calls me to say he it a more of a white Oak colour, now i cant get there now untill after xmas to take a sample to see for a match up. for shade of colour.

Can you not just use a weak red stain on it?

I guess better to await a better colour match, thinking about it.