Opinions on this battery charger pls.

W+T

Featured Posts

Hi all, i am in need of a battery charger for my two 110amp batteries and i have seen this one that is local to me. 

Just wondering if anybody has had or has one to give feed back on it. It sounds good and the chap said if i can collect it it will be a tenner cheaper to save delivery.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-20A-Connect-and-Forget-Leisure-Battery-Charger-Caravan-Motorhome-Boat/122314362986?hash=item1c7a81106a:g:qMYAAOSw7I5Tw788

reason i picked this is for the features and price. i dont need an old singing dancing type and this seems to have what i need, or does it.

cheers

wayne :)

3 minutes ago, W+T said:

Hi all, i am in need of a battery charger for my two 110amp batteries and i have seen this one that is local to me. 

Just wondering if anybody has had or has one to give feed back on it. It sounds good and the chap said if i can collect it it will be a tenner cheaper to save delivery.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-20A-Connect-and-Forget-Leisure-Battery-Charger-Caravan-Motorhome-Boat/122314362986?hash=item1c7a81106a:g:qMYAAOSw7I5Tw788

reason i picked this is for the features and price. i dont need an old singing dancing type and this seems to have what i need, or does it.

cheers

wayne :)

Had one of these (but Red and Black case)for 3 Years,It looked after the 2 30 AH Batteries for my dingy's Electric Outboard Motor ,it is Fit and Forget Spec.

My one got dropped a few times and then one Day it refused to Light up or charge ,may get another...unless something Better and Cheaper turns up.

6 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Had one of these (but Red and Black case)for 3 Years,It looked after the 2 30 AH Batteries for my dingy's Electric Outboard Motor ,it is Fit and Forget Spec.

My one got dropped a few times and then one Day it refused to Light up or charge ,may get another...unless something Better and Cheaper turns up.

If it last 3 years then its not bad, as long as i dont drop it sooner lol.

1 minute ago, mross said:

A 20A charger is a low rating for a boat's charger; I'd suggest going for a higher rating.

I just went of the specs and 20 amp is good for up to 250amp. 

I will be having mains on board or a genny to run it when needed. 

Does you mean it will charge them up slowly ? 

1 minute ago, cereal tiller said:

IIRC Wayne is going to use 2 x 110 AH batts. should be ok?

Yep as said in the OP, although i said 110 AMPS.

Just now, W+T said:

I just went of the specs and 20 amp is good for up to 250amp. 

I will be having mains on board or a genny to run it when needed. 

Does you mean it will charge them up slowly ? 

It’s roughly 10% of the total battery capacity which is generally considered to be the bottom end of the size you’d be looking for. 

40A would be better but 20A would still charge them; it would just take a little longer. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It’s roughly 10% of the total battery capacity which is generally considered to be the bottom end of the size you’d be looking for. 

40A would be better but 20A would still charge them; it would just take a little longer. 

Hi Tony, its just the specs i got from 12v planet that i need.

How slow is slow though ? say 50% down on charge how long will it take to top up ?.  

Just now, mross said:

I was thinking that most boat owners would end up adding a couple more batteries in time.

Not on my boat as it is a cruiser, dont need any more ballast ;)

29 minutes ago, W+T said:

How slow is slow though ? say 50% down on charge how long will it take to top up ?.  

At a guess I’d say it’ll take about 2 hours longer (or even more) than a 40A charger to bring the batteries back up from 50% (110Ah to replace). It will take longer than a 40A charger all the way up to 90% SoC. The last 10% takes hours whatever size charger you have. 

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

At a guess I’d say it’ll take about 2 hours longer (or even more) than a 40A charger to bring the batteries back up from 50% (110Ah to replace). It will take longer than a 40A charger all the way up to 90% SoC. The last 10% takes hours whatever size charger you have. 

And folk wonder why this bot is taking so long to finish, i spend more bloody time faffing on what to buy :rolleyes:

I debating if to up the funds for one now.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mross said:

I wanted you to read the one-star review.............

Ye but only one review, not easy to judge on that. 

Anyway, looking at Numax, yes a bit dearer lol, they are meant to be good. Mite be a bit OTT though.

http://www.budgetchandlery.com/numax-battery-charger-12v-30amp-marine-2608-p.asp?gclid=CjwKCAiAvMPRBRBIEiwABuO6qdzJ1f22iz5O2okWAdc_F2M7UviYBhYhqoT3GSNN_H2u5N3caIF0MRoCx1AQAvD_BwE

I've seen many, wondrous products advertised in good ole USA.  But when you look at their UK ads, all the claims are toned down to comply with ASA regs.  In the USA it's strictly 'buyer beware' and companies can make unverifiable claims.  One example is magic lotions that can repair scratched spectacles.  Sadly, with the internet, it seems that international advertisers can flout our buyer-protection laws with little chance of prosecution.

14 minutes ago, W+T said:

Ye but only one review, not easy to judge on that. 

Anyway, looking at Numax, yes a bit dearer lol, they are meant to be good. Mite be a bit OTT though.

http://www.budgetchandlery.com/numax-battery-charger-12v-30amp-marine-2608-p.asp?gclid=CjwKCAiAvMPRBRBIEiwABuO6qdzJ1f22iz5O2okWAdc_F2M7UviYBhYhqoT3GSNN_H2u5N3caIF0MRoCx1AQAvD_BwE

It is a Dead ringer for the Electroquest 30 AMP unit ,mine is on it's 4th winter and on 24/7 ,it cost £93 3 Years ago.they are still around but the Price has likely climbed a little .Schmelly and Alan Fincher have used them too...

1 minute ago, cereal tiller said:

It is a Dead ringer for the Electroquest 30 AMP unit ,mine is on it's 4th winter and on 24/7 ,it cost £93 3 Years ago.they are still around but the Price has likely climbed a little .Schmelly and Alan Fincher have used them too...

Thats the best price i can find on the 30amp Numax. 

Me and T have been discussing if its best to get a basic charger now as i first linked to, well around £70 for a 20amp or 30amp if i can find one in that price area and two new 110amp batteries.

Could be best way to go as the batteries i have are not the same and i have no clue how old they are but they do hold charge for a good time.

3 minutes ago, W+T said:

Thats the best price i can find on the 30amp Numax. 

Me and T have been discussing if its best to get a basic charger now as i first linked to, well around £70 for a 20amp or 30amp if i can find one in that price area and two new 110amp batteries.

Could be best way to go as the batteries i have are not the same and i have no clue how old they are but they do hold charge for a good time.

Look up Electroquest uk,£119 for the 30AMP. one

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

I ahd one of those once. It gave two or three years of good service then one evening I smelled burning. A quick dash to the engine room found it pouring out smoke. I couldn't do a post mortem as I unplugged it in a screaming hurry and chucked it in the cut.

Probably a slight over-reaction in hindsight.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

After thoughts today on this and read ups on a lot of cheap chargers i am going with a Numax ( Electroquest ) 30amp, great quality and safer to use. Not keen on risking the boat with a cheap charger than COULD catch fire. 

They are near twice the price of what i wanted to pay but peace of mind is priceless to me with this boat.

Will order one tomorrow then get a new set of batteries later.

thanks all for the help ;)

Edited by W+T

5 minutes ago, W+T said:

After thoughts today on this and read ups on a lot of cheap chargers i am going with a Numax ( Electroquest ) 30amp, great quality and safer to use. Not keen on risking the boat with a cheap charger than COULD catch fire. 

They are near twice the price of what i wanted to pay but peace of mind is priceless to me with this boat.

Will order one tomorrow then get a new set of batteries later.

thanks all for the help ;)

MtB's Engines Fail Dramatically and his Chargers will self Ignite ,it's a Lifestyle thing ,Maybe?:giggles:don't think he would have it any other way....

As for Smartgauges ,just Don't go there!

Edited by cereal tiller

3 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

MtB's Engines Fail Dramatically and his Chargers will self Ignite ,it's a Lifestyle thing ,Maybe?:giggles:don't think he would have it any other way....

As for Smartgauges ,just Don't go there!

ah a case of workman blaming his tools ha ha

On 12/13/2017 at 20:09, cereal tiller said:

I have always assumed the Electroquest item, (actually made by Fairstone, I think) to be the same as the Numax one, because they look identical in the advertising.

However if they are, I cannot explain why the Numax one is priced generally so much higher.

The instructions supplied with my Electroquest model are possibly some of the worst I have ever seen with a Far East supplied product, and despite a couple of threads on here about them, nobody ever successfully explained in plain English exactly what all of what's in them actually means.

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I have always assumed the Electroquest item, (actually made by Fairstone, I think) to be the same as the Numax one, because they look identical in the advertising.

However if they are, I cannot explain why the Numax one is priced generally so much higher.

The instructions supplied with my Electroquest model are possibly some of the worst I have ever seen with a Far East supplied product, and despite a couple of threads on here about them, nobody ever successfully explained in plain English exactly what all of what's in them actually means.

Maybe the Higher Price is Coz Instructions that are understandable come with the Numax?:D