Fit a washing machine or not..??

4LeggedGrasshopper

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, 4LeggedGrasshopper said:

Hi there, 

Me and my husband Dan have finally realised a dream and brought our first boat!! Were in the process of fixing it up and hope to be living aboard from March 2018.

In the meantime, I’ve been thinking about washing machines, specifically whether it’s realistic on a boat. We already have one (previously lived in a house) that is very energy efficient 0.96 kWh per wash, but it’s water consumption is 47L per wash!!  Seems a lot as our water tank is only 250L. Also, water pressure is apparently a consideration??

My overall question, is it worth it? I dread the thought of lugging my washing to the laundrette, but i don’t want to go to the trouble of fitting a washing machine only to find it doesn’t work properly. I don’t know what to do, so any advice you experienced boaties have will be gratefully received

Msny thanks,

Becky  

If you shoehorn in a cubbyhole for a studio size washer then you're restricted to that type with few choices and high prices.

So if refitting I'd allocate space for a full size one if possible, it can be repurposed as cupboard space if you find you don't need it (!) or don't need it yet.

Some models are slim depth (45 to 50cm) which may play better in a narrowboat, also some models have a cold wash button or temperature dial which will play better with cold washes or separately heated water.

Edited by smileypete

10 hours ago, BWM said:

Some years back, a friend of mine disconnected the heating element in a washing machine and managed to run it off a low voltage inverter. Not sure if you could still do this with a more modern machine?

10 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Watts one of them please? 

(Pedant mode on)

In electrical terms low voltage is 50-1000 volts AC, so all inverters used on canal boats are low voltage.

(Pedant mode off)

• Love 1
  • Happy 1

9 hours ago, cuthound said:

Seconded, we use one of these. Mind you they have gone up a lot in the tank 3 years, we paid about £60 for ours

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/5kg-Portable-Mini-Compact-Twin-Tub-Washing-Machine-Washer-Spin-Dryer-300w/12003668888?iid=122063477704

My neighbor has one, I was surprised how large they are as they take more space up than normal machine!  If you have power requirements sorted for a proper machine then I would give these a miss.

12 hours ago, MJG said:

I'm sure somebody has mentioned on here some modern cold fill only machines 'sulk' and throw up an error if the element does not kick in during a hot wash, (or have I dreamt that?)

Not sure, mine works like a dream on the new Chinese invertor, the old victron couldnt cope and used to trip out during the wash.

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

My neighbor has one, I was surprised how large they are as they take more space up than normal machine!  If you have power requirements sorted for a proper machine then I would give these a miss.

One advantage of these, despite their size, is that they are extremely light. The downside of this is that you have to load the spinner fairly evenly or they get a wobble on. 

14 minutes ago, BWM said:

One advantage of these, despite their size, is that they are extremely light. The downside of this is that you have to load the spinner fairly evenly or they get a wobble on. 

How often do you move a washing machine tho?  The downside is that you need access to the top so in reality take more room.  With a washing machine of the same 5kg size, it’s only slightly more depth at 45cm vs 35cm.  Width is similar.

12 hours ago, cuthound said:

Seconded, we use one of these. Mind you they have gone up a lot in the tank 3 years, we paid about £60 for ours

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/5kg-Portable-Mini-Compact-Twin-Tub-Washing-Machine-Washer-Spin-Dryer-300w/12003668888?iid=122063477704

Good thread as I'm likely to be in the market for one of these twin tubs in the next few weeks and am surprised how many on Amazon - what real experience do people have of any of these models - all info good or bad would be appreciated!

10 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Technically any DC below 120 volts of extra low voltage (ELV) and less than 60 volts DC is safety extra low voltage (SELV).

Is my V less than 60 & 120 for

ELV & SELV V reasons? 

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Is my V is less than 60 & 120 for

ELV & SELV V reasons? 

No your V is less than 60 or 120 because your equipment works 12 volts :)

It just happens to be SELV (which means you won't experience an electric shock if you accidentally touch the 12 volt wires. (But you might get burnt if you short them out).

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

No your V is less than 60 or 120 because your equipment works 12 volts :)

It just happens to be SELV (which means you won't experience an electric shock if you accidentally touch the 12 volt wires. (But you might get burnt if you short them out).

Phew, glad of that. Jus as well it don't supply  240V, I could be in trouble! :)

11 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Good thread as I'm likely to be in the market for one of these twin tubs in the next few weeks and am surprised how many on Amazon - what real experience do people have of any of these models - all info good or bad would be appreciated!

They wash at least as well as an automatic and dry considerably better. The whole wash dry thing takes about15 minutes, but is labour intensive, as you have to add water, add detergent, move clothes from drum to drum, etc.

Cheaply constructed in plastic, but seems to last well with light (one wash per week, summer months only) use.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

On our first boat we bought a proper twin tub the sort lots of us had years ago. I put a worktop up in the kitchen and it simply pushed underneath it on its wheels when it was not in use. When in use it could still be squeezed past. The plus points are that they wash extremely efficiently and faster than an automatic they also use less water and a huge amount less leccy and can be run off a smaller cheap msw inverter. The downsidies were moving it which is no big deal and of course having to do a small amout of easy work such as moving clothes from wash to spin. To me they are a better option but I don't think they are made anymore? I havnt used the smaller ones so cannot comment.

Some models empty by gravity.  It's worth getting one with a drain pump so that it can discharge into a sink or bath.  Even if you discharge into a shower tray, the pump is worth having as it will empty more quickly.  My twin tub can be stored in the shower.

2 minutes ago, mross said:

Some models empty by gravity.  It's worth getting one with a drain pump so that it can discharge into a sink or bath.  Even if you discharge into a shower tray, the pump is worth having as it will empty more quickly.  My twin tub can be stored in the shower.

Good idea that you store it in the Shower ,make sure it is Unplugged though ,the Spinner could Twist your Ankle!:D

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

How often do you move a washing machine tho?  The downside is that you need access to the top so in reality take more room.  With a washing machine of the same 5kg size, it’s only slightly more depth at 45cm vs 35cm.  Width is similar.

Quite often if your space is limited, and inevitably to access the top loading. 

37 minutes ago, Halsey said:

We had one that lasted for years, in that time a small, concertina'd, plastic was the only item that failed  (easily replaced).

We bought an alternative waste water hose, as the one supplied was very shaky.

14 minutes ago, BWM said:

Quite often if your space is limited, and inevitably to access the top loading. 

As they actually use a similar space and if your designing the interior space it is daft to not actually make space for a proper washing machine rather than one that looks like its an afterthought and had no real place.

22 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Yeah, but that's the fens init, not the real world.

The volice of the Daily Fail reader, glow up little boy.

The number of Launderette's have dropped by three quarters since the peak (12000) in  1980's, More are closing each week.

Just seen this thread and felt I should add my thoughts.  I've used the cheap plastic machines on boats and although they are alright for limited short term use I would strongly suggest that they will drive you mad over a longer period - even if they last that long.  They're not big enough and very labour intensive.  We've had two narrow boats and live on them for months.  Our first boat had one of the small Candys and a 3 KW generator.  Worked fine but again a small drum.  One of the key points we looked for on our second boat was either a full size machine or the space for one.  This is what we have now.  The only problem is that even with a 3kw inverter my alternator can only kick out half of what the heater uses and so 100Amps are dragged out of the batteries. Its a cold fill machine like most these days.  The solution is seemples, the machine is next to the sink so we have a hose from the tap to the soap drawer and fill the machine from there with hot water - the heater never kicks in.  In my (my wifes actually) opinion a full size machine is essential for long term living on board.   For drying we have a brolly mate on the tiller and one of those click up lines or a a rack in the saloon.

11 minutes ago, Halsey said:

sorry to be a pain but those of you commenting who have got one could you possibly give make and model details thanks - likely locations will be shower/under tug deck or in an engine room 

Sorry can't remember the make but its a bog standard full size that you can get from Currys etc.  Its in the galley right next to the sink unit you can see it in this photo

20170213_165733.jpg

Edited by larryjc

When i was new and naive liveaboard i had one of those cheap twin tub machines which cost about £100.  For the price they're ok but they do have downsides.  You can only fit a couple of things at a time in them, the spinner tends to make the machine leap about a bit if you don't load it evenly.  Also, you drain them into the sink and the hose has a tendency to come out and drain all over the floor if you're not careful.  You can't use bio powder and there's no proper way to rinse and you'll be left with a residue.  When I used mine I used to spend a couple of hours doing my clothes in small batches until my airer was full.  All in all, its ok for occasional use but a pain for a full time liveaboard.  Almost any old inverter will run a machine like this.

After a couple of years a got sick of it and searched for an alternative.  I discovered that I had a space in my kitchen which wouldn't fit a normal washing machine (too narrow) but would fit a top loader.  I found a nearly new hoover toploader on gumtree for £70.  Plumbed it in and then had to figure out how to power it.  Luckily at the same time I got a hook up on my mooring, but still could not power it when cruising.  I had a 2000w msw inverter which the washine machine would deal with on a very short simple cold wash.  Anything else and it made funny buzzing noises and refused to work (because it wanted a psw inverter).  I got round the cold wash issue by pouring warm water into it.  But that's not ideal if you want to do a cold pre-wash or if the cycle requires the water to stay warm throughout.  Again, it's a bit of a bodge.  Checking the max power draw of the machine showed 1950w so i bought a Clarke 2200w peak (2000w continuous) gen off a forum member.  This meant that the generator was running almost flat out for part of the cycle.  It didnt like it and blew a gasket after a few weeks.  Machine Mart said it wasn't economic to repair :(.  

I now have a 2600w peak (2300w max) Kipor generator, bought from Midland Swindlers and I run my washing machine off that.  It's been great so far and had plenty of use.  I realised then that I didn't need a 2000w inverter any more, since i have this good genny.  So I bought a 800w Mastervolt PSW inverter off a forum member and I think i now have the perfect set up for me.  The inverter is far more efficient than my old one and runs everything I need except the washing machine and the vacuum cleaner, so I use the generator for those things, which also means I'm not stressing my batteries out by powering high power appliances with them.  It also means that I can charge my batteries while I'm doing my washing.

Edited by Dave_P