Brotherly Love?

lampini

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Its a bit of a dilemma

Isn't it. Probably not a new one for him though, only for you. Also probably not something a passing boater is going to solve either. My guess is its been going on long before you got there and will continue long after, but it might be worth mentioning it to someone suitably qualified if you judge that to be the right thing.

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Isn't it. Probably not a new one for him though, only for you. Also probably not something a passing boater is going to solve either. My guess is its been going on long before you got there and will continue long after, but it might be worth mentioning it to someone suitably qualified if you judge that to be the right thing.

Thanks. As it happens, he's at it again as I type. Chucking it down with rain which hasn't dampened his spirits. You're right though, maybe not new.

We did wonder why there was a gap immediately astern of him.

6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Thanks. As it happens, he's at it again as I type. Chucking it down with rain which hasn't dampened his spirits. You're right though, maybe not new.

We did wonder why there was a gap immediately astern of him.

You have my deepest sympathies, how these things can prey on your mind - especially at night - I kno!! Someone is bound to say it - can you/do you want to move? 

Other than that, do you see him outside at all? Although a passing "everything ok?" could well lead you somewhere you don't wanna be! 

I did find this lot..

https://www.julianhouse.org.uk/projects-and-services/travelling-communities-support.htm

local to you I think? 

Best of luck, stay in touch.. 

8 hours ago, andyberg said:

Sounds like a normal working day in 'times gone by' for the traditional carrying boatmen & their families.

I'm all for keeping the early boating traditions alive, collarless shirts & waistcoats, ribboned plates, scumbling, chimney chains and fighting on the towpath at mooring up times!!

Having boated commercially 14 years 50's though 60s & in to the 70's the OP's situation bears no resemblance to any I witnessed in that time but since then times & attitudes have changed a lot & although the working boater may have lacked the education of today he /she knew how to operate a boat loaded or empty however problems of folk doing all manner of what could be considered "Stupid" to a competent boater was a lot less likely to occur

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

You could perhaps knock on the boat and ask if everything is OK? I wouldn't do this unless you can cope with being told to F off

Richard

A smack in the mouth often offends!!

Due to a previous occupation I once had I am in no way surprised re the actions of this bloke. We dealt DAILY with such behaviour and often several times a day. Apart from medicine and dentistry and probably car reliability everything else in our society is going down the plug hole and standards have gone into freefall so I doubt behaviour to have improved since it was my job to sort it out.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Having boated commercially 14 years 50's though 60s & in to the 70's the OP's situation bears no resemblance to any I witnessed in that time but since then times & attitudes have changed a lot & although the working boater may have lacked the education of today he /she knew how to operate a boat loaded or empty however problems of folk doing all manner of what could be considered "Stupid" to a competent boater was a lot less likely to occur

I was talking about real, commercial boating folk from the 1800's not folk playing at it recently! 

• Horror 1

37 minutes ago, andyberg said:

I was talking about real, commercial boating folk from the 1800's not folk playing at it recently! 

I haven't heard many stories of anti-social behaviour amongst the working boat folk but apparently the leggers who lived on Cross Lane, Braunston had a fearsome reputation for drunken lairiness.

38 minutes ago, 8 Hairy Feet said:

Hmmm....wanders off topic...

The late great Kenny Everett, Brother Lee Love anybody?

Can we get an Amen?:D

Oh 8!

Don't!

Every time we have chugged past the moored boats at Hospital Bend and have seen the aforementioned; that Kenny Everitt sketch has gone thro my head and I've ended up singing it to myself - imaginary massive white hands and all! Maybe he heard me one time.... :-0

would post a YouTube clip but am on phone.. 

Edited by lampini

Maybe he escaped from the asylum at hospital bend... No thinking about it the Warwickshire  county asylum was at Hatton. Leicester the towers. Not sure where Bedworth people would go though knowing Bedworth they would probably stay at home. Used to cover for the forensic ( police liaison) nurse for Nuneaton and Bedworth. Scary stuff worked off her feet. I did rugby ..very quiet. ( he's not mad he's stoned repeat repeat repeat repeat)

18 hours ago, andyberg said:

Did you witness the Bw fleet Anderton & other #1's boating before the demise of the Bw operation? Having done commercial carrying I consider your remarks condescending I would not consider rising at 4.30 setting of just after 5am & boating non stop other than wrong lock waiting until around 8pmmore or less every day unless tied waiting load/unloading playing & as you got payed on trip completion the sooner finished sooner money maybe there were less boats but the distance on the cut & #of locks was the same + the cut was not as well maintained I can assure you boating with a loaded pair  say north of 38 tons in snow, ice  & having to try to get from Mk Drayton to Bulboune in 5/6 days was I can assure you NOT playing

23 hours ago, carlt said:

I haven't heard many stories of anti-social behaviour amongst the working boat folk but apparently the leggers who lived on Cross Lane, Braunston had a fearsome reputation for drunken lairiness.

I think I am vaguely related to some of them. Explains a lot.

JP

On 12/12/2017 at 21:33, lampini said:

Amazing! 8:30 at night - strange glugging sounds, loud cracking noise from the thick ice surrounding our boat and an uncomfortable pitching and swaying.  Out of the darkness, at full pelt comes the ironically named 'Brotherly Love' When I realised what the commotion was I leaned out the side hatch to ask him to slow down- only to receive a hurl of abuse about how he'd run out of water and I could fxxk off. Drunk as a skunk he backed up to offer further flowery threats, fisticuffs and continued his tirade. After I declined the offer he steamed off again, still ranting loudly, into the night. As I said, amazing...

Wonder why he was heading to hawkesbury, Lime kilns is nearer to his moorings i would have thought..

Seen the boat a few times, never seen the owner though.

8 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

Wonder why he was heading to hawkesbury, Lime kilns is nearer to his moorings i would have thought..

Seen the boat a few times, never seen the owner though.

iirc, you can only turn 65ft at Hospital Bend - his I think is 70.. I kno it's tight  for our 57. So if he were pointed this way.....

Also, I somehow can't see him getting on too well with Gary @ the kilns! Folks with far less attitude have fallen foul there.... I'm assuming here that alcohol plays a big part in the guys life...