Brotherly Love?

lampini

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, ianali said:

Don't they just. Have drank several really good Japanese whiskies. Also I would put a vote in for English produce. I first got switched on to these when we cruised through Newbury. There was an excellent shop selling some lovely English whiskies. Ian.

But what about Islay malts?

Must of been a terrible experience for you and hope the cops charge him for threatening behaviour,I. Have seen that boat,looks all shiny new, it's moored by the ,'please slow down signs' on long term mooring.How ironic, or is the name a reference to earlier troubles. 

Threatening violence is never to be tolerated,I hope he learns.

22 hours ago, lampini said:

Amazing! 8:30 at night - strange glugging sounds, loud cracking noise from the thick ice surrounding our boat and an uncomfortable pitching and swaying.  Out of the darkness, at full pelt comes the ironically named 'Brotherly Love' When I realised what the commotion was I leaned out the side hatch to ask him to slow down- only to receive a hurl of abuse about how he'd run out of water and I could fxxk off. Drunk as a skunk he backed up to offer further flowery threats, fisticuffs and continued his tirade. After I declined the offer he steamed off again, still ranting loudly, into the night. As I said, amazing...

Not sure about naming and shaming really. We all have bad days 

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Most would agree that it is rather rude to make your bad day everyone else's though, eh? 

Maybe, but some can see through things like that without resorting to naming and shaming on a public forum. In fact I think it's a very cowardly thing to do. 

If it's that serious why not just call the police. It doesn't sound that serious to me other than he might very grumpy for some reason. Sickness can do that to people sometimes.

4 minutes ago, rowland al said:

Maybe, but some can see through things like that without resorting to naming and shaming on a public forum. In fact I think it's a very cowardly thing to do. 

If it's that serious why not just call the police. It doesn't sound that serious to me other than he might very grumpy for some reason. Sickness can do that to people sometimes.

Maybe if it simply amounted to a few choice words as you pass each other, but to park up, trudge half a mile back in snowy icy conditions to threaten violence, deserves a bit of shaming. 

1 hour ago, rowland al said:

Well, he did call the police, so that's all right.  It's also handy to be warned about the odd boater with a potential for violence who needs avoiding. Walking back late at night, banging on someone's roof and asking for a fight sounds pretty serious to me. Me, I'm 68 and not particularly fit and it would scare the hell out of me...

1 hour ago, rowland al said:

Read the post, police called, informed. Idgit moored up and returned to carry on aggressive confrontation.

This is in no way acceptable in any social environment and totally not to be tolerated on the CUT.

Nobody has the right to drop this attitude on others, especially if the action of the offender is being an arse.

1 minute ago, Fender151 said:

Read the post, police called, informed. Idgit moored up and returned to carry on aggressive confrontation.

This is in no way acceptable in any social environment and totally not to be tolerated on the CUT.

Nobody has the right to drop this attitude on others, especially if the action of the offender is being an arse.

No, you are right, I missed the other post.

I still think naming and shaming on public forums is inherently dodgy though. Particularly as everyone is relying on very little evidence other than what is posted here.

I hope the police and courts deal with this in a suitable fashion. 

7 minutes ago, rowland al said:

I still think naming and shaming on public forums is inherently dodgy though. Particularly as everyone is relying on very little evidence other than what is posted here.

Wouldn't hold my breath waiting for police action...

Ian.

Edit to add that's not criticism of our police. They just don't have the resources.

Edited by ianali

4 minutes ago, rowland al said:

Right. The bloke might read this and go after them again!!!

2 minutes ago, lampini said:

This exactly Arthur! We are both in our 50s and pretty peaceful folks.. 

For myself, I will always refuse to be cowed into shivering in fear behind my curtains by a psycho bully. Others however might prefer to totally avoid, and that also is a perfectly acceptable response. My reason for "naming and shaming" is to give folks the heads-up on this nutter, forewarned is forearmed and all that..

If it were a case of "this bad thing happened and I THINK it MAY have been this boater", then I also would disagree with naming them - but it wasn't. This guy is a scary nutter. 

Well there is only one registered boat in that name.

Let us know what the police say and good luck.

22 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Right. The bloke might read this and go after them again!!!

Lol Bizz!

But yes, joking aside, we are a bit worried about the next time Brotherly Love (I kno!!..) comes past. That however is one of the biggest reasons we DID call the police - this guy needs to know that there are actually consequences for bad actions.. might have more effect than letting the norty child get away with it? 

• Greenie 1

Having moored next to Mary Anne and her owners for a couple of months last winter, I can confirm they are not "pretty peaceful folk", they are exceptionally peaceful and pleasant! Totally chilled, and not ones for making a fuss. 

I'm glad for the heads up, it's lonely on the cut and people can feel vulnerable. Shame really as people are generally chatty and friendly, but there''s always the odd ones.

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Having moored next to Mary Anne and her owners for a couple of months last winter, I can confirm they are not "pretty peaceful folk", they are exceptionally peaceful and pleasant! Totally chilled, and not ones for making a fuss. 

I'm glad for the heads up, it's lonely on the cut and people can feel vulnerable. Shame really as people are generally chatty and friendly, but there''s always the odd ones.

*blush*

cheers Jen..

One more freeeeeky thing Jon found when he went out to work this morning was quite a few fag butts outside the boat. Nobody here smokes, and they would suggest to me that he hung around outside for quite a while before banging on the roof and offering violence.. seriously creepy.. 

I'd like to thank all the folks here for all the support and kind words. It's only our 2nd winter as liveaboards, and while 95% of the time I really love it, just now and again one can feel a little vulnerable. Whether that's because I'm scared rigid of falling into wintery waters in the ice or because of the occasional mad bloke - it's nice to have somewhere to ask silly questions and get advice! 

I agree also that whiskey should NEVER be adulterated - except by more whiskey...

• Greenie 2

By raising awareness with the police you are establishing some documented history.

I have lost count of the number of times I interviewed staff following an incident in their workplace and was told' we were a bit concerned before but....'

With a history of complaint the police response should be better, and you don't know if he has previous form. 

we had one on our mooring in the 90s superficially ok but when drunk aggressive, there were a few incidents abusing women, threatening people, and he targeted those he perceived as vulnerable .

One day he took a swing ' because he was pissed ' the  fallout was not good. 

6 hours ago, Fender151 said:

Sounds like a normal working day in 'times gone by' for the traditional carrying boatmen & their families.

I'm all for keeping the early boating traditions alive, collarless shirts & waistcoats, ribboned plates, scumbling, chimney chains and fighting on the towpath at mooring up times!!

Edited by andyberg

4 hours ago, andyberg said:

Sounds like a normal working day in 'times gone by' for the traditional carrying boatmen & their families.

I'm all for keeping the early boating traditions alive, collarless shirts & waistcoats, ribboned plates, scumbling, chimney chains and fighting on the towpath at mooring up times!!

17 minutes in:

• Love 1

Slight diversity. We are moored just to the east of Bath. We moored very close,stern to stern with a cruiser, I think it's a cruiser as it's tightly wrapped in blue tarp,,tied with miles of rope. No windows visible, only way in is via so called doors at the stern. Anyway, the night before last lots of swearing,shouting threats of murder, "see you in court type of things. Quite. Twenty minutes off he goes again. This went on until 0100. Yesterday two boats left and we pulled Nightwatch along a couple of 'spaces'. Saw the bloke, looks okay,usual nod to each other. Fine. Then at about half ten it starts again. On off, banging, and I mean banging, shouting swearing. Now and then a quiet male voice. Usual threats etc. No way am I going to tell him to keep it quiet. I may not appear on here again. It is unnerving? 

Anyway I have two trains of thought. Is there a potential crime scene brewing. Do I inform the Police.

is this guy on his own and has. Drink or Drug problem. Do I seek advice? contact Canal Ministry? Do I approach? Or just move on.

Its a bit of a dilemma. 

This Brotherly Love boat. Stay well away. He's obviously got an issue of some sort and anything can trigger an outburst.