mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Surely even if bro-in-law passed the Marine VHF short range certificate, (assuming that is what you are saying he will not), then it still doesn't allow general chit-chat about non navigational matters between two boats travelling in convoy?

Unless things have changed, I thought the radio traffic still had to be at least broadly related to navigating the boat, not moaning about Facebook and Twitter users?

PMR446 and (legal) CB are about the only free things where you don't need some kind of certification, I would say, and can discuss anything.  Both have their obvious limitations.

Amateur Radio is another option, as has been said, but to pass the exams to use it legally and obtain a call-sign never used to be trivial, unless you already had a strong grounding in electronics and radio operation.

However I acknowledge it may be that the "foundation" class of amateur licence is less onerous to obtain than in the days I trained for a full licence.  Although I still have my licence, I don't use it, and don't know much about the new licences that came in as I was lapsing from any involvement.  Could be worth investgating, though both of you would have to get a call sign, even the one already holding a different qualification.

G0BVX

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

You can use a shorter, quarter wave aerial with a CB radio, and I am sure i have seen PMR's with removable rubber aerials. 

1 hour ago, Aguila said:

A quarter wave on 11 metres (27 MHz) is 2.75 metres.

But, of course, most practical 27MH antennas on card or hand helds have some kind of loading coil.  Car based ones typically have to be no more than 1.5 metres or so, and I used to own hand hels wit a "rubber duck" of less than 30 cms long.  Not as efficient as a big antenna of course, but will still beat the pants of most PMR446 sets, surely?

17 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Amateur Radio is another option, as has been said, but to pass the exams to use it legally and obtain a call-sign never used to be trivial, unless you already had a strong grounding in electronics and radio operation.

However I acknowledge it may be that the "foundation" class of amateur licence is less onerous to obtain than in the days I trained for a full licence.  Although I still have my licence, I don't use it, and don't know much about the new licences that came in as I was lapsing from any involvement.  Could be worth investgating, though both of you would have to get a call sign, even the one already holding a different qualification.

the foundation license is simple to pass (as long as you can remember a fairly short list of information), power limit is 10w (but all bands available) and you are restricted to commercial amateur radios.
In the right conditions you could go through the foundation course and sit the exam within an afternoon & evening (and then wait a few weeks for the license)

I was (probably still am) registered as an instructor / assessor for the foundation and intermediate licenses and have helped a few people into the hobby or to move on to the next license.
there is some feeling amongst older license holders that the newer M****** call signs are less worthy of being talked to and in particular that the M6*** or 2E0*** licenses are "licenses from corn flake packets" because of the introduction of the three tier system (instead of license or no license that they had).
when one such user (G0 callsign) who was infamous locally for his comments was visiting and I still had the assessment paperwork out for a candidate taking the intermediate exam, they had a quick look through it and were surprised at how much was involved (and how little they could honestly claim they knew the answers to), I've never heard a comment from them against the new licenses since.

M0VBR

Edited by Jess--

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Surely even if bro-in-law passed the Marine VHF short range certificate, (assuming that is what you are saying he will not), then it still doesn't allow general chit-chat about non navigational matters between two boats travelling in convoy?

Unless things have changed, I thought the radio traffic still had to be at least broadly related to navigating the boat, not moaning about Facebook and Twitter users?

PMR446 and (legal) CB are about the only free things where you don't need some kind of certification, I would say, and can discuss anything.  Both have their obvious limitations.

G0BVX

He is simply too tight to get his vhf certificate. I have had one for years and my boat has the usual thingy I need. We would be using it for navigation with the odd waffle thrown in, neither of us would moan about Farcebook or Twatter users as neither of us go anywhere near either Farcebook or twatter so don't come into contact with them, or indeed neither of us play in the soft ball area in the local park. I think it will be the pmr jobbies as we wont use them much but I will get one of the types screwed to the boat so no batteries needed. Hes a cheeky sod cos he knows we need vhf ( sensible ) for the Tidal bits next spring/summer but I will have mine on and can warn him via the other radio if a problem arises.

Mr Smelly, I know you are set on a radio, but please try Zello while you decide which radio to get.  It could be useful off the boat, even if it does not suit your needs when afloat. It's no skin off my nose either way.  :D

You could leave your phone inside and have a Bluetooth microphone clipped to your lapel.  There is also a voice-activated option (VOX).

image.jpeg.920232aa9825b115608421a8d1811955.jpeg

Edited by mross

31 minutes ago, mross said:

Mr Smelly, I know you are set on a radio, but please try Zello while you decide which radio to get.  It could be useful off the boat, even if it does not suit your needs when afloat. It's no skin off my nose either way.  :D

You could leave your phone inside and have a Bluetooth microphone clipped to your lapel.  There is also a voice-activated option (VOX).

image.jpeg.920232aa9825b115608421a8d1811955.jpeg

Thanks old sport. Problem is you are using such jargon as " Bluetooth " I know this means no wires or somett but its all too modern for me and a simple radio ya press button and it works. I take it an App is something available on my fone but I don't use i fone ( rip off price ) or Android I found that rubbish. I use a windows fone which is very simple and get NO junk on it like I did with android. The app probably doesn't work on a windows fone? I will GOGGLE and check as he is my friend :cheers:

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thanks old sport. Problem is you are using such jargon as " Bluetooth " I know this means no wires or somett but its all too modern for me and a simple radio ya press button and it works. I take it an App is something available on my fone but I don't use i fone ( rip off price ) or Android I found that rubbish. I use a windows fone which is very simple and get NO junk on it like I did with android. The app probably doesn't work on a windows fone? I will GOGGLE and check as he is my friend :cheers:

Put your specs on you old fart!  My previous post shows that Zello IS available for Windows phone.  :giggles:

12 minutes ago, mross said:

Put your specs on you old fart!  My previous post shows that Zello IS available for Windows phone.  :giggles:

:lol: Oy I will have you know I am of a delicate disposition. Thanks anyway and yes I have just downloaded it very straightforward :D I will grab the bosses fone later and download onto hers and try it out :cheers:

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

He is simply too tight to get his vhf certificate. 

Buy a handheld vhf, obtain the ships radio license on tight wads boat under your name, and let him operate the handheld under your supervision (I assume you will be in visual contact more or less). That's pretty close to being legal. 

I have  a simple icom handheld (not DSC) and it seems sufficient most of the time on the Trent . It get a charge a couple of times a year. Also if dropped in the water it floats.

25 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

:lol: Oy I will have you know I am of a delicate disposition. Thanks anyway and yes I have just downloaded it very straightforward :D I will grab the bosses fone later and download onto hers and try it out :cheers:

She lets you access her phone ????????  Do you know the password?  Good for you both if she does!  A sign of a happy marriage is shared passwords!

15 minutes ago, mross said:

She lets you access her phone ????????  Do you know the password?  Good for you both if she does!  A sign of a happy marriage is shared passwords!

We don't have passwords they always work. If we put passwords on we would forget how to work them.