What qualifys?

bigcol

Featured Posts

Hi I’m wondering what qualifys re CRT licensing purposes for a houseboat.

for a boat without propulsion, compared to a normal boat with propulsion 

and how much this would cost for a 56 ft boat

ive been on the site and can’t see anything o do with the rules on this 

col

This is on the license application form:

*A houseboat is boat whose predominant use is for a purpose other than navigation. Houseboat licences are only issued for boats with a long term mooring
on a Canal & River Trust site which has planning consent for residential use.

And this in the License terms and conditions:

Houseboat Certificate

Houseboat means a boat predominantly used for a purpose other than navigation and which, if required
for the purpose, has planning permission, for the site where it is moored. A houseboat may be moved
provided that navigation does not become its predominant use.

These are only issued for boats covered by a Canal & River Trust mooring agreement and the houseboat
certificate and Trust mooring agreement must run concurrently with the same expiry date

Edited by RLWP

Lol Thankyou  all

so if you have a new boat with no engine or gearbox or any helm etc

and you are in a private residential marina

and of course your not going anywhere

for a year until  a engine and running gear is installed

do you get a reduction in your licence?

because I have read the info from CRT and still don’t know

how do they discount or charge for a house boat

isnt their a price list

Edited by bigcol

First off, there is nothing about having an engine (or not) in the guidance. It all seems to be about having a boat you don't intend to use for navigation

Secondly, if you go onto the CRT website, it keeps popping up a window saying "Hello, thank you for visiting. Can I help you in any way?". Why not ask them

Richard

Just now, bigcol said:

Hi. I’ve now emailed them

so at least I know

thankyou for pointing me in the right direction

i will try your link anyway

col

No problem. Interesting question, and I suspect one that they get asked all the time. On the face of it, you get a cheaper license

Richard

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

No problem. Interesting question, and I suspect one that they get asked all the time. On the face of it, you get a cheaper license

Richard

I'd assumed the prices were the same.  My understanding was that you can transfer a houseboat licence to a new owner for however many months there are until the anniversary date.

36 minutes ago, bigcol said:

. . . and you are in a private residential marina . . .

You mention being in a private residential marina, yet the ‘curious’ aspect of CaRT’s published criteria as quoted in #2 is the refusal to issue houseboat certificates for vessels on private residential moorings.

That this is contrary to statute is illustrated by the “General terms of houseboat certificates” in Schedule 1 of the 1995 Act; some terms are set out as applicable to all mooring sites [Part III], and a separate section [Part II] applies “Terms applicable to sites controlled by Board”. The legislation thus recognises that qualifying vessels can be issued houseboat certificates whether they are on Board controlled sites or privately controlled sites.

Application

2(1) Part II of this Schedule applies where—

( a ) the Board own an interest in, or rights over, the site; and

( b ) the site is managed by the Board or their agent.

(2) Part III of this Schedule applies to all certificates.”

The fact that the Board have no control over, for example, continued permission by either the private site owner or the LPA, is allowed for in stating that the validity of the certificate determines on the retraction by the site owner of consent for the use. Hence: -

6(1) The certificate shall remain in force for the period or until the date specified thereon unless – ( c ) the holder’s interest in or other right to moor at the site (otherwise than by virtue of the certificate) ends . . .”

You may have to face up to a CaRT refusal to issue you with a houseboat certificate nonetheless.

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But that indicates an intention to make the boat mobile in future. Doesn't that invalidate your claim it is a non-moving houseboat?

But a houseboat doesn't have to be non-moving.  it's just that moving can't be its primary purpose.

1 hour ago, bigcol said:

do you get a reduction in your licence?

Not according to statements like this......

At the moment, the cost of a HBC is the same as a Standard Licence but the CRT have suggested this could be reviewed in future to make the cost of the HBC more expensive.

I can't see why it should be cheaper. unless I'm missing something obvious.

Obviously there is a major CRT licence review going on at the moment, and I'm not sure any of us could predict at this stage what effect this will have on any type of CRT licence, (including houseboat ones).

5 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Hi Alan

im curious, why wouldn’t you think that a house boat which hasn’t got any ability to move or navigate, use the services of the canal network wouldn’t or shouldn’t qualify.?

But as has been pointed out their definition of a houseboat specifically does not rule out the ability to move or navigate......

(my bold)

A Houseboat may be used for navigation from time to time provided it does not become its predominant use.

18 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I can't see why it should be cheaper. unless I'm missing something obvious.

They used to be more expensive if I recall correctly; in recent years they have been the same. CaRT have leeway to reduce the fees of course, and in rare circumstances actually have offered to do so [better lower fees than none at all].

If you have a mobile vessel that could be used for pleasure cruising, the only benefit offered by a houseboat certificate would be the limited security of tenure offered, with the ability to transfer the added value of that. Even then, CaRT rely on the lack of relevant knowledge amongst most boaters to whittle down those advantages, with statements being issued that such benefits will no longer apply.

The benefits even if you successfully fought for them under the legislation – as you would be entitled to do – still apply only to CaRT owned/managed sites; private moorings owner/operators could still give you the boot, and/or demand that they receive the added value of the mooring in the event of any sale. What is more, T&C's attached to the certificate are - as distinct from the PBL or PBC - integral to the consent and enforceable, and they can make those up as they please; at some point there may well be a court dispute over CaRT's claims that PBC's and PBL's are subject to the unilaterally drafted T&C's, but there would be no such case to answer in respect of houseboat certificates.

Why anybody would seek to bind themselves to such stringent and arbitrary control is beyond me, even if there was a saving in charges.

This is the email I got back from CRT

Dear Colin,

Thank you for contacting us.

Please see the following as this states the definition of a houseboat. You will need to purchase a licence for the boat if it is on the water.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/6465.pdf?v=26be72

Kind Regards,
Charlotte Roberts

Arthur. That’s all I need to know,  Thankyou