Diesel Bug - Ensure You Fill Your Tank

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I was an apprentice motor mechanic in 1693. We were called out to loads of lorries with waxed up fuel and one Mercedes 190D car. Our brake down wagon was an ex Canadian army bullet proof 4 ton WW2 Chevrolette with no indicators, we fixed up two long arms with hands with dirty finger nails painted on, carved out of wooden boards that pivoted out when either a string was pulled. We personally got waxed up badly driving it as it had no door tops. Clutch on the left, brake on the right and throttle in the middle. It had the old army track grip tyres that were lethal in the wet or ice. The pedals were boxed in so closely that we had to exchange our big obnail boots for plimsoles to drive it. It had the superb old six cylinder GM petrol engine which was the basis for most later GM, Bedford petrol trucks and  6 cylinder Vauxhall cars.    If you dig your ears out with a matchstick, the colour of the wax should be a nice glossy yellowy brownish., or book up for an ear syringe and observe and compare.

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Geez Bizz, I knew you was old. Did you see Etna erupt?

Yes, it thawed out the diesel wax really well.

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Geez Bizz, I knew you was old. Did you see Etna erupt?

Yes, it thawed out the diesel wax really well.

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Fuel additives have come a long way since then and diesel engine pumps and injectors have also become a lot more high tech and also much more expensive.

I know that my diesel car has heaters etc in the fuel plumbing, but I also know that my boat engines definitely don't have heaters !

1 hour ago, jake_crew said:

I know that my diesel car has heaters etc in the fuel plumbing, but I also know that my boat engines definitely don't have heaters !

Mine neither.  However, I do think that if the additives the fuel experts put into their diesel were gonna be beaten or improved upon by adding paraffin or petrol, they'd be using it. After all, they do have a cheap and ready source of supply!