INFRA RED UNDERFLOOR HEATING

Horatio Sprague

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I havnt bothered looking at the crap they obviously are spouting everyone knows lectric heating of any sort on an off grid boat is a nonsense. Oh wait just a minute are these the guys that market the " Eco Fan " :giggles:

Well after all is was an Ecofan that made Marilyn Monroe and Julia Roberts Dresses Lift and Flutter in those Fillums ,Yes?

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Well after all is was an Ecofan that made Marilyn Monroe and Julia Roberts Dresses Lift and Flutter in those Fillums ,Yes?

Not forgetting Kelly LeBrock

(off you Go ogle)

Edited by rusty69

7 minutes ago, mross said:

Yes, a heat pump can be four-hundred percent efficient but that's still going to need about 1kW of power.

Potential there? an Open Frame Generator (RodneyGen) with adequate Output could run the Heatpump using around 15 Litres of Petrol in 24 Hours.:giggles:

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Not forgetting Kelly LeBrock

(off you Go ogle)

Was she Married to the Bloke in Durham Duran,you can tell that I am a media Buff.

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Horace informed us that...

Mr OSS responded thusly...

However, even if they’re not talking rubbish the figure offered by Robbo is correct when he stated...

Let’s put that into perspective.

A 4800Ah battery bank (absolute minimum for this demand) would cost around £3600 and would comprise 40 off 120Ah Batteries. That’s not considering the cost of cables and busbars of course. 

A 100A charger would cost around £1100. 

An EU30i genny to power the above charger would cost around £2500  

So far we’re well above £8000 for batteries etc  

The time to recharge the 4800Ah bank from 50% SoC would be between 36 and 48 hours.  So you’d only be able to actually use the heating every third day.

Other than that it’s a great idea.

You've neglected to account for the reballasting. Have you seen the price of scrap metal?

Richard

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Thats the One ,she often had a good Tan and wore White Dresses made of thin Fabric ,always made me think of a Teabag.

I was thinking of the red dress

Image result for kelly lebrock red dress

Think she's been eating carlt's cauliflower and sprout curry

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, Horatio Sprague said:

Funky Heat have told me that a narrowboat cabin measuring 12.4m long by 2m wide and 2m high would need infra red heating mats rated at 1.24Kw approx. How does this convert to battery drain over 24 hours? This to produce 21 degrees C when outside temp 0 degrees C

1.24Kw is what they assume a 'large room' will need according to their website. Of course, a boat isn't a large room

Richard

3 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

You can, 0.01 of a degree rise, it is heat after all. 

With enough insulation you could get it up to a comfortable temperature. Of course you would have to block off all the ventilation. Then you would die of CO poisoning from the badly burning candle flame. Then the candle would go out. I'll stick ith my squirrel stove thanks.

Jen

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, mross said:

Anyone who falls for this claim should get a performance and cost guarantee first and check with a solicitor that it's legally binding!

And a cast iron insurance backed guarantee of performance.

Personally I am appalled the magazine did not think to check the claims with me before publication. I have a feeling for most things they have a caretaker editor. I have no idea about his technical competence.

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

You've neglected to account for the reballasting. Have you seen the price of scrap metal?

Richard

But think what you’re saving with this uber-efficient heating. You could have the builder use 25mm plate up front...

53 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

And a cast iron insurance backed guarantee of performance.

Personally I am appalled the magazine did not think to check the claims with me before publication. I have a feeling for most things they have a caretaker editor. I have no idea about his technical competence.

Waterways World was just as guilty last month with their review of the all-electric boat.  They gave a lot fo figures that most people would demolish in a couple of minutes.  I was very disappointed that WW published this article without casting any doubts over their ridiculous figures.  There once  was a time when Graham Booth would have torn it to pieces, but I guess the advertising revenue is just too much of a draw.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

As I said, I haven't done the sums. There's still a lot of heat in that there cut, though. 

The problem is that when you need it most the efficiency is at its worst, basically the colder it is outside the closer to 100% it gets.