Fitting a waste water tank

Markymark

Featured Posts

Just now, Markymark said:

I'm fitting a waste water tank and going to sight the pump out point on the gunnel should I fit the vent also on the gunnel or side....

Thanks in advance

Doesn't make a difference.   If black waste you really should be adding two vents for good airflow.

1 minute ago, Markymark said:

So 2 vents with 2 smell filters how far apart would you suggest...

Each end of the tank (although the breathers can be in same place), the idea is too encourage airflow in the tank so to help the good bacteria break down your waste.   Some people here add a fan as well to help.

Other tips, is don't use blue or other chemicals as they will kill your good bacteria off.  You can get products to encourage the bacteria growth.  Other's here will have some suggestions.

The vent is usually on the side below the gunnels, and try to have the pipe sloping upwards (away from the side) so that rain and canal water can not get into the carbon filter. Some people fit the pumpout outlet on the roof. This is really convenient if the pumpout machine is on the wrong side of the cut and there's not a convenient winding hole. Doing an "over the roof" pumpout whilst standing on the gunnel is no fun at all. Downside is that some pumpout machines don't suck at all well and that extra few feet might be just too for them.

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

How would a low vent work?

The recommended venting of a waste tank is for one vent exiting the top of the tank to emerge low i.e. hull side and for second vent from top of tank to emerge high i.e. roof. This then creates a good flow of air and no filters are needed as the waste is aerated.

• Greenie 1

You can use the pump-out point to flush the tank, and some boats without a wash point do this.  The general advice is to put the wash pipe entry to the tank on the opposite end to the pump-out so that the flush water runs across the tank to encourage the stuff on the base of the tank to wash to the pump-out point.  With a macerator toilet the tank contents has a very high water content and I find rocking the boat during the pump-out from when the tank is about a third full to be very effective at dispersing the stuff at the bottom, without much additional benefit using the wash pipe.  The disadvantage is over enthusiastic rocking whilst good for stirring stuff up tends to empty cupboards and shelves onto the floor.

It seems every one is assuming a 'Black water' tank rather than a 'waste water' (Grey) tank.

It is just possible that the OP is referring to a waste water tank (my boat has both a 'grey' water tank, and a 'black', water tank)

Maybe the OP can confirm if he is talking about a sewage holding tank, or a waste water tank.

On 12/11/2017 at 16:37, Markymark said:

(snip)  can't you use the pompous to flush out?

Yes, but the hose washes the contents away from the pickup pipe. If the flushing is done from a vent, any semi solid stuff tends to move towards the pickup, depending on the placement of vents.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Iain_S said:

Yes, but the hose washes the contents away from the pickup pipe. If the flushing is done from a vent, any semi solid stuff tends to move towards the pickup, depending on the placement of vents.

Just make sure you dont have a filter in the vent