Moorings twixt Bath-Bristol

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hello. We are in Bath or there abouts and anticipating dropping down onto the Avon. This is new water to us,can anyone advise if there's moorings along that stretch?

Not particularly interested in going to Bristol but just killing a bit of time before the festive season is upon up. Any shared knowledge would be valuable to use.

basically ............. none.   certainly none between Hanham lock and Bristol city centre.  you could try calling Saltford marina.  there are water points next to Bath marina and also below Saltford lock where desperate folk occasionally moor up and you are unlikely to be disturbed at this time of year.

Thanks both for the info. Probably headback towards Bradford on Avon. There's some nice looking 'country' moorings along the way.

edit to add. We are making our way ultimately to escape the K&A in March. Overall, it's been just about alright,but mooring is an adventure. Never used the plank so often. The joys of boating.

Edited by Nightwatch

There's lots of moorings on the Avon below the locks, before the supermarket and also we moored at the boat house pub for a couple of nights, enough room for a couple of boats there. And has been said there's lots of room before the jolly sailor, pub,well there was in June.

On 09/12/2017 at 22:25, Nightwatch said:

Hello. We are in Bath or there abouts and anticipating dropping down onto the Avon. This is new water to us,can anyone advise if there's moorings along that stretch?

Not particularly interested in going to Bristol but just killing a bit of time before the festive season is upon up. Any shared knowledge would be valuable to use.

There are moorings between Bath and Hanham Lock, not many but there are a few, we went down to Bristol earlier in the year, very nice.

We are moored just above Bradford on Avon lock so if you’re passing, give us a knock or stop for a chat and a cup/glass of something. Widebeam ‘Drayke’.

Just on this stretch.

Bradford on Avon, at Dundas and Avoncliff aqueducts, Limpley Stoke, Claverton, Bathampton, Bath above the locks, Bath near the station, Weston Lock cut, Saltford (great museum), above Keynsham Lock, couple of pontoons on river.

So, lots of choice!

Lovely stretch!

13 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

What is the Avon like at the morning meet we were aiming for keynsham but the rain has concerned as that the river might be going into flood!

Walked down the locks to the river this afternoon. Can't see that the river is high or not as first time I've seen it. It was flowing a bit quick for my liking. Okay to go with the flow but you'd have to push hard against the flow.Awful amount of rain last night. (Saturday). 

There are visitor moorings at the Old Lock and Weir.  Seem to recall they were 48 hours which should revert to 14 days, but we doubled up with a couple of boats that had been there for a month (!) Really convenient car parking as well. We spent a good few days in Bristol on visitor moorings opposite the SS GB and several happy afternoons in the Orchard pub on Spike Island

We're looking to escape the K&A in March as well.  We're moving very slowly and making the most of the lifted restrictions on the visitor moorings.  Had a nice couple of weeks at Great Bedwyn and currently at Hungerford.

Hearing quite a lot of unpleasant goings on at Bradford on Avon, although hopefully the bad weather will keep the little darlings indoors for a bit.

23 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Thanks both for the info. Probably headback towards Bradford on Avon. There's some nice looking 'country' moorings along the way.

edit to add. We are making our way ultimately to escape the K&A in March. Overall, it's been just about alright,but mooring is an adventure. Never used the plank so often. The joys of boating.

If you decide to stay for a few days in the Bradford on Avon area Martyn, give me a shout and we can arrange to meet up. I might even be able to donate an extra long K&A gang plank.

6 minutes ago, Amber34 said:

Snip > Hearing quite a lot of unpleasant goings on at Bradford on Avon, although hopefully the bad weather will keep the little darlings indoors for a bit.

I live there and have not heard of anything.

Edited by David Schweizer

3 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

If you decide to stay for a few days in the Bradford on Avon area Martyn, give me a shout and we can arrange to meet up. I might even be able to donate an extra long K&A gang plank.

Lots of bike (and other) thefts reported on a regualr basis on the K&A Facebook group, also a guy getting beaten up by a group of teens on 14th November

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/12007/river-avon-from-lock-7-bath-bottom-lock-to-lock-1-hanham-lock

Just  received this. I'm not surprised.

David, I will contact you. I'll PM you if that's okay. Should be in about a week ish! Nightwatch isn't as smart as it once was. But it's doing okay. Still on top of the water.

53 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

We were in Bradford on Avon for sone time about a fortnight ago. Everything all nice and quiet. We have been told about alledged bike thefts from boats in the Trowbridge area. 

1 hour ago, Amber34 said:

Lots of bike (and other) thefts reported on a regualr basis on the K&A Facebook group, also a guy getting beaten up by a group of teens on 14th November

Don't come here then if it is so bad! :lol:

Edited by David Schweizer

Nine flood alerts in west of England

Parts of the west of England have been issued with flood alerts - meaning "be prepared" - after an accumulation of snow.

The mid-Bristol Avon area and the River Ciss catchment is expected to receive heavy rainfall later this afternoon, alongside snow accumulation from Sunday.

There are seven other Environment Agency flood alerts in the region pertaining to heavy rainfall.

Environment Agency

Article share tools

• Share this post on Facebook
  • Share this post on Twitter
  • ShareView more share options
    Copy this link
    Read more about these links.Read more about sharing BBC content externally

image.gif

I've been in Bradford for about a week, and the noisiest thing was the floating market last weekend - but in a nice way...

There were a few boys riding around the centre yesterday on bikes doing a lot of shouting and getting in the way of the traffic, but I've seen a lot worse!

1 hour ago, MaryP said:

I've been in Bradford for about a week, and the noisiest thing was the floating market last weekend - but in a nice way...

There were a few boys riding around the centre yesterday on bikes doing a lot of shouting and getting in the way of the traffic, but I've seen a lot worse!

Quite, Bradford is the sort of place where you can get your name in the papers if you steal a stamp. Even the Police Station is part time!