3 HomeFi mobile broadband

blackrose

Featured Posts

I know there is a long thread somewhere on improving onboard internet but I can't find it.

So anyway, I just wanted to ask those who know what their experiences are of 3 HomeFi mobile broadband? They are offering 100GB for £30/month on a 12 month contract. I've been tethering to my mobile (40GB Vodafone) but I'm working at home on the boat 2 or 3 days/week now so I need a solution to data usage - mainly for Outlook, occasional Skype conferencing, getting onto my company's network through their VPN, transferring files, etc.

Hopefully 100GB/month would be enough but are there likely to be any technical or other pitfalls to be aware of? 3 say that coverage in my area is good and I wouldn't be moving while I'm working from home so it's mainly for use at my mooring.

Thanks

Have you already checked for a good, 4G signal at the boat?  100Gb is a lot, unless you stream video.  Can you measure what you are actually using?

And, if on Windows 10, you can set it to a 'Metered Connection' when on the boat, so it doesn't download most updates.   I have a 3 phone with 12Gb on tethering and it has worked well for me, even if I have to hang my phone in a window.  But I don't use home-fi.  Mt Three-in-touch lets me send and receive calls and text over wi-fi if I can get a wi-fi connection and this is very useful where my house is because there is no mobile signal in the house.

Thanks, I think HomeFi is basically just a MiFi box which is larger than the regular 3 Mobile WiFi units. The smaller ones only go up to 40GB on the 3 network.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Mobile_Broadband

I'm not sure why they're not showing the 100GB deal online, but they offered it to me in the shop.

I get a 4G signal on my phone on Vodafone if I put my phone in the window, but I'm not sure how good it is? 3 say that I can get out of the contract within 14 days if the signal isn't good enough.

I can easily use my personal 40GB of data if I spend too much time watching Mike Tyson punching people or hippos attacking crocodiles on youtube - but since 40GB from 3 is £24 and 100GB is £30 I may as well go for the latter, especially as it looks like the company will be footing the bill. I think Skype video calls can eat up a lot of data.

I'm not sure what operating system my work laptop uses? :huh:

Edited by blackrose

54 minutes ago, blackrose said:

This online review looks fairly positive:

https://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/blog/20170628-three-homefi-review

It's got external antenna ports too so it seems perfect for boat use, but what sort of antenna would I use?

The spec quotes 2xSMA for the external antenna therefore any 4G antenna with dual SMA connections. I would try it first though with the extra antenna as you may find it doesn't make much difference.

5 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The spec quotes 2xSMA for the external antenna therefore any 4G antenna with dual SMA connections. I would try it first though with the extra antenna as you may find it doesn't make much difference.

Thanks, so something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antenna-Booster-Amplifier-Reception-Connector/dp/B0723BQZ6T

Edited by blackrose

100Gb for £30/m sounds a very good deal. We are now on EE (60gb) and BT (20Gb) per month for just under £60 and are using most of that allowance - with a fair bit of video streaming. We've had no problem getting reception in our area (southern warwickshire ring) despite a number of folks saying reception can be poor - but we have a good external antenna from Solwise - forgotten which model but can look if you need the info.

24 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If your company is paying, I would go for something like this

https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-antenna-omni-xpol-a0001.html

Looks like I have cross posts with that Dr Bob. I wonder if this is the Solwise he refers to. Did I mention he's a Dr?

Edited by rusty69
  • Happy 1

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Looks like I have cross posts with that Dr Bob. I wonder if this is the Solwise he refers to. Did I mention he's a Dr?

Yes that's the one. It works really well for us (6 months use now). 100% recommend it. Trust me, I'm a .............

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is what they are doing. Is there anyone near you on 3 you can check reception with.

Well I can always get the 3 deal and if the reception is no good take it back within 14 days.

29 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Thanks. I'm not sure if they'll pay for the hardware - haven't asked them about that. But I don't mind paying for the antenna myself. 

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I know there is a long thread somewhere on improving onboard internet but I can't find it.

So anyway, I just wanted to ask those who know what their experiences are of 3 HomeFi mobile broadband?  

I had considered this for home and then take the sim when I go to the boat, but looking at the coverage map I live on a white bit. I can get the Mifi to work up in the bedroom, but very boarder line.

20 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Well I can always get the 3 deal and if the reception is no good take it back within 14 days.

Get them to put that bit in writing! I switched my mobile phone to O2 and they assured me that their coverage was as good as EE but it wasn't and very often I couldn't get a phone signal never mind internet. I went back to O2 and they pointed out that they give no guarantees about coverage. I bought out of the contract and went back to EE. Not saying that 3 are the same as O2 but thought I would mention it.

haggis

13 minutes ago, haggis said:

Get them to put that bit in writing! I switched my mobile phone to O2 and they assured me that their coverage was as good as EE but it wasn't and very often I couldn't get a phone signal never mind internet. I went back to O2 and they pointed out that they give no guarantees about coverage. I bought out of the contract and went back to EE. Not saying that 3 are the same as O2 but thought I would mention it.

haggis

Yes thanks. I will check the small print before signing the contract

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Thanks, I think HomeFi is basically just a MiFi box which is larger than the regular 3 Mobile WiFi units. The smaller ones only go up to 40GB on the 3 network.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Mobile_Broadband

I'm not sure why they're not showing the 100GB deal online, but they offered it to me in the shop.

I get a 4G signal on my phone on Vodafone if I put my phone in the window, but I'm not sure how good it is? 3 say that I can get out of the contract within 14 days if the signal isn't good enough.

About a year ago I upgraded my contract with '3' which included 40gb of data and the Home-Fi unit. I have found the Home-Fi works as well as the Mi-Fi and has two external aerial sockets which is good if you are in a 4g reception area.

I paired mine with one of these 4g aerials from Connex Technologies and found it an excellent combination. http://www.connextech.co.uk/lmo7270-wb-smsm---4g3ggsm-mimo-outdoor-omni-antenna-1153-p.asp                                                  Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

If you are going to be fairly static then it would pay to try out '3' at your mooring before you commit yourself. 

My experience of Vodafone is mediocre at best.  I still find '3' to be excellent during our extensive travels around the system. The Home-Fi unit supplied by '3' is 240v but it is reduced to 12v IIRC and I power mine from a 12v power supply I got from Maplins.

Another good make of aerials is Solwise. I use their Wi-Fi range extender which I find excellent. I have heard good reports of their 4g external aerials but have no direct experience of them myself.

Ken

47 minutes ago, blackrose said:

How easy is it to set up? Will it work with any device & network?

Mine was literally plug and play with no probs at all. I also bought the router from Solwise but I dont think that is important - the antenna should work with the '3' box as long as it has 2 anntenna inputs. Only thing to check is the frequency that '3' are using fits the antenna - I think different networks use different frequencies but this may be a load of b*****ks.  I think  that antenna covers all of the frequencies. Check the details on the Solwise site. Any 4G router should work with any sim.

I have my antenna on a pole which is in the 'up' position when  moored and then lying flat on the roof when cruising - and the antenna picks up signals very well even when flat on the roof. I do like EE but they are significantly more expensive than '3' at the moment.

I’ve got the Three MiFi 100Gb deal as my EE 50Gb deal ends in January.

Plugged into a 12v adapter the router works fine, and the signal is fine, (in Stretford on the edge of Manchester City Centre - so no guarantee in the heart of the countryside).

ive actually put the Three Sim in my new Netgear MiFi gizmo, and moved the EE Sim to the Three router for its last 4 weeks. This confirms that the Three router is unlocked.

The only difficulty I had was that they initially refused to sell it to me because I have a Manchester Postcode. I’ve heard of people in London being refused as well. They don’t seem to want to sell it in densely populated areas?

13 hours ago, blackrose said:

This online review looks fairly positive:

https://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/blog/20170628-three-homefi-review

It's got external antenna ports too so it seems perfect for boat use, but what sort of antenna would I use?

I have one of those routers onboard that I don't have a need for. If anyone wants it and can collect, Bath area, or pay postage they can have it. No SIM card though.