Walking home for Christmas (London to Manchester)

Marc

Featured Posts

I've always wanted to do a very long walk across the UK, and realise I will have a quiet period leading up to Christmas...

So, I'm considering walking from London Bridge to one of:

1. Anderton Boat Lift
  2. Deansgate Locks
  3. Leeds Lock

Each of them would connect to a family member. Deansgate Locks seems the most likely. I'd probably leave on Thursday 14th December. 

I don't see such a walk listed in this forum, apologies if I've missed it. Would anyone have any advice they'd give? e.g.,

• Far too cold and dark this time of year, I'm being crazy? (I'm planning on sleeping in a bivvy bag.)
  • Leeds is too far a distance to make in the time available?
  • I think it would be 'most official' to walk along the Thames and start at Brentford rather than along the Paddington Arm. Agree?
  • Any special sights/views or considerations to choose between Old or New Mainline in Birmingham...
  • ...Same question for Shropshire Union -v- Trent & Mersey
  • Places where there is no towpath / not passable this time of year and I'd need to know it way in advance to avoid significant backtracking?
  • Just take the train, moron?

Welcome, Marc, and full marks for your novel and ambitious idea.

The distances are probably feasible if you're a strong walker, but it isn't going to be be the type of weather to be a hero, so book into B&Bs or inns for your nights.

Brentford to deansgate clocks in at just under 230 miles

if you walk at 3 mph (which is a fairly average walk on smooth ground but quite quick over rough towpaths) it can be done in around 80 hours non stop
this would work out to around 11 1/2 days if you are walking for an average of 7 hours each day

however I wouldn't advise sleeping out at this time of year, since you could be spending 14-16 hours each day in low temps (possibly sub-zero and possibly wet) while you try and rest in your bag.

also you would have to allow for weather in planning since a layer of ice or snow will slow you down by a good amount (I would guess on it almost halving your speed)

Thank you gentlemen, and thank you for the site welcome Athy!

I have a high end bivvy bag and sleeping bag (down to -27C) but have only done a couple of consecutive nights in rain and cold. Doing a week+ is too much, you're both right. 

I'm a strong walker, and had this in mind for timing, presuming I'd beat the 10 days (comparable with your estimate Jess, I imagine I'd do more than 7hrs), but I also assumed the tow paths would be smooth gravel. Hmm. Amateur hour. 

My theory on these kinds of challenges is that there has to be a significant non-zero chance of failure to get the sense of accomplishment in pulling it off. And a failure isn't fatal (probably!): I can bail and find a train station, conceding I am indeed a moron...

17 minutes ago, Marc said:

I also assumed the tow paths would be smooth gravel.

towpaths will vary from smooth tarmac in some towns and cities down to an 8 inch wide strip on a 45 degree angle in between tall plants that's 2 inches deep in wet mud / clay, at this time of year mud is the norm, the below images are actually quite good for a rural towpath in winter.

muddy-canal-towpath.jpg

16031304.jpg

I note that the walk you linked to was done at the end of march when daylight is a lot longer and the weather is (usually) a lot warmer than now

Edited by Jess--

I used to do this kind of thing and my ambition in school career interviews was always to be a tramp, My best was waking up in Ashington in the snow in a bus stop with all the "workers" standing outside in the snow, I never had a hi tech sleeping bag but could always find covered areas to sleep in, church porches, sewage works, allotment sheds , public toilets and the afore mentioned bus shelters. If I live longer than my responsibilities, I will be off again, maybe on a boat, bike or on foot. 

Go for it, I wish you all the best and I am a little jealous.

If I go backwards @zenataomm I won't make it for NYE*, never mind Christmas :)

9 hours ago, rasputin said:

you cover many more miles than you think you could because that is all you are doing, falling over and catching yourself, over and over

It reminds me of doing the West Coast Trail last year: only 75km, but it took 4 days. I see @Jess-- is alluding to the same (and thank you for taking the trouble to upload the pics to get a feel for the conditions) with the state of the towpaths in places. 

*my dad's current forecast for me, walking forwards. Other comments from friends & family range from "humans invented transportation" and "Just take the train moron", to "it's an ace thing to do" (ex-RAF pilot, i.e., the right stuff :) )

24 minutes ago, Barbara Maxwell said:

This sounds like the kind of thing my late husband would have done at a particular stage in his life. God bless you Marc x

Welcome to the forum Barbara!

Haven't been that way in the winter for a good few years but if you use the " Shoppie"route the tow path in the cuttings (Grub Street, Tyrley, ) were waders rather than "wellies" to get through could be done but it would be slow going. Could have changed by now though

• Greenie 1

Mud and darkness are poor companions, especially if carrying a load. I only did a few hundred yards in the dark tonight getting to the boat with my overnight bag and some shopping, but it was as slow as wading through treacle, even with a head torch. One problem is the mud often slopes towards the canal...

Realistically you only have daylight hours for covering distance, and at the moment that's not much more than 8 hours a day. 

Edited by magpie patrick

@NickF I will do!

@X Alan W and @magpie patrick I really appreciate your realism to counter my naive optimism, thank you! I hadn't thought it could be so wet that not even wellies would work, and if it's that slippery not ideal to be contemplating doing it coming up to the shortest day of the year!

@Barbara Maxwell I'm 50-50 at the moment. Did the Lord give you better odds this morning?

1 hour ago, Marc said:

@NickF I will do!

@X Alan W and @magpie patrick I really appreciate your realism to counter my naive optimism, thank you! I hadn't thought it could be so wet that not even wellies would work, and if it's that slippery not ideal to be contemplating doing it coming up to the shortest day of the year!

@Barbara Maxwell I'm 50-50 at the moment. Did the Lord give you better odds this morning?

If you attempt this, the Lord Jesus Christ our saviour will keep you safe, but I think you should wait until better weather. Your family will worry about you and carry that burden until you are safe. Please keep us informed about your plans to do this. God bless you Marc. 

Just sharing some resources I've found here for anyone googling this in future:

Check for towpath closures: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/winter/

People who've tried to do the Grand Union Canal quickly and failed http://www.gucr.co.uk/doc_cat.asp?cat=7 (learning: change of footwear probably needed due to wetness)

Can zoom in to see exactly where towpaths are (and aren't) on this site: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network

This will give distances between two points on the canal network, will full details between them: https://canalplan.eu/cgi-bin/canal.cgi 

Update: I'm 70-30 in favour of doing this at the moment now I know I will be kept safe :), thanks @Barbara Maxwell

Shroppie vs Trent and Mersey - the T&M I think wins on quality of towpath. As mentioned, some of the towpath on the Shroppie is very narrow and muddy. One thing to bear in mind is that if you fall in, even though the canals are not deep and you will be able to stand up, it can be very difficult to get out without assistance especially if it is a piled / vertical edge. A friend of ours fell in at Fradley last winter, in the dark, outside temperature just below freezing. If we hadn't been there I think he might have died fairly quickly because even though he was only just over waist deep in water, he couldnt get out. One person arrived almost immediately but couldn't get him out. I arrived shortly afterwards and the two of us were able to pull him out. I suppose you have to have the presence of mind to remove all clothing before trying to get out since its the weight of water in your clothes that stop you getting out. Easier said than done in the depths of winter! Be careful, because when you get tired and do something for a long time, you get careless and complacent. I would avoid walking at night and don't tire yourself out too much.

Apart from that, sounds like a fantastic adventure and all power to you!

On 09/12/2017 at 00:40, Marc said:

Thank you gentlemen, and thank you for the site welcome Athy!

I have a high end bivvy bag and sleeping bag (down to -27C) but have only done a couple of consecutive nights in rain and cold. Doing a week+ is too much, you're both right. 

I'm a strong walker, and had this in mind for timing, presuming I'd beat the 10 days (comparable with your estimate Jess, I imagine I'd do more than 7hrs), but I also assumed the tow paths would be smooth gravel. Hmm. Amateur hour. 

My theory on these kinds of challenges is that there has to be a significant non-zero chance of failure to get the sense of accomplishment in pulling it off. And a failure isn't fatal (probably!): I can bail and find a train station, conceding I am indeed a moron...

With a decent bivy and sleeping bag you should be ok.

I go wild camping but prefer to go in a hammock.

Have you thought about taking a decent tarp and setting it up over the bivy. Keep some wind and rain off and somewhere to put stuff.  

A walking stick and paracord can make amazing shelters. Of course mine gets string across two tress.

I realise you may know this already.

With an underblanket this is super cozy in the winter.

20170715_082440.jpg.ccf06736b3b5ba96c5526a9e7e2ed98c.jpg