Walking home for Christmas (London to Manchester)

Marc

Featured Posts

This project doesn't sound like my idea of fun. Having said that, I suppose there would be a sense of achievement to be had from completing such a journey, but is that worth the ordeal?

Most of the way the towpath will be natural; grass/earth, mostly muddy at this time of year, with frequent puddles. Mostly unlit except for any moonlight you might get.

If you stick to just walking in daylight hours and do 8 hours a day at 3mph, then a journey of say 300 miles (probably about right, towpaths do wind about a bit) needs about 12 days, so you'd need to go some to arrive by Christmas. I've never done such serious walking but suppose it's possible if you are very fit, determined and well equipped. This would mean carrying quite a lot of weight and having the knowledge to set up camp well so you're comfortable overnight. Basically if you've done a lot of Army infantry training or some equivalent then I think you have a chance.

Otherwise may I recommend National Express? In December 2015 I needed to go the other way from Manchester to London, and they carried me there in a nice comfortable coach for £14. It was New Year's eve and there were only about six passengers on it; four hours non-stop, bargain.

Having done a little bit of long distance walking myself, I'd say that this is perfectly achievable but only you know whether you and your kit are up to it.  A fit walker can cover a lot of miles in a day and the canals are largely flat which helps too.  25 miles a day is not too fanciful.

Personally I wouldn't fancy what you're doing: too cold, too dark etc.  although it sounds like you understand the equipment/clothing you'll need.

I carry a pack which would probably make Ray Jardine weep, including a 3 man tent, but then I like my space and my luxuries, and i also tend towards robust kit rather than lightweight kit.  I will happily average around 12 miles a day, with anything over 15 miles being classed as a long day.

I'd say good luck to you, and let us know how it goes.

The mission is ON!

Departed Thames Lock 101 at midday, currently finishing a pub dinner 20 canal miles later where their weekly quiz just started: "Who is older, Tony Blair or Theresa May?"

I'm keen to get outside of the M25 tonight, so I'll walk another hour now, probably more; There is no snow on the ground, the towpaths are good, and I want to cover a marathon+ a day. It's warm enough to wild camp this evening. 

Targeting Manchester Piccadilly Lock (i.e., the 2hr 4min train I could have taken and have a ticket for in my pocket) by Friday next week. 

Fitbit stats so far: 4,799 calories; 51,655 steps. 

Miles Done: 20 of 226

Best quotes of the day:

"Hang on, you're really REALLY walking home for Xmas? What the f*ck?" - Helen

"Just jump in a canal with a boulder roped to your feet" - Nathan

"That would be my course of action at the thought of being in Manchester" - Matt, commenting in reply to Nathan

"I feel like such an alcoholic standing outside the pub trying to open a locked door at 8am" - Sarah, referring to the Wetherspoons farewell breakfast meet up. 

Where the Grand Union Canal hits the Thames:

Thames meets Grand Union Canal.jpg

Pretty demoralising:

RouteSoFar.png

Edited by Marc
annotated photos
  • Greenie 1

On 10/12/2017 at 11:52, Marc said:

@NickF I will do!

@X Alan W and @magpie patrick I really appreciate your realism to counter my naive optimism, thank you! I hadn't thought it could be so wet that not even wellies would work, and if it's that slippery not ideal to be contemplating doing it coming up to the shortest day of the year!

@Barbara Maxwell I'm 50-50 at the moment. Did the Lord give you better odds this morning?

You won't make it. Jesus said. Call your family. Whilst they do judge you massively for your lifestyle choices, Marc, they will help you. They won't pick you up, but they will send you a Uber. 

Didn't get long enough to type yesterday, so just acknowledging the comments...

@nicknorman Thanks for the warning on the Shroppie. There was some chance of me going that way to get to my mum's, but not now. And sobering on the falling in, though I don't feel it's been close yet (touch wood).

@wandering snail That would be ideal! Shame it's not the route I'll be on. Would definitely make the accommodation decisions easier / cheaper.

@thebfg I salute you on your hammock set up - looks very professional! I'm still at the bivvy grade. One day I will level up! I did consider getting a tarp, but ruled it out for weight (he says, as he types on his laptop).

@Peter X I walked until 1am last night, and it was surprisingly ok. I had a dog attack though, so am a bit put off being out at such an hour now. I'm holding the return portion of a train ticket just in case :)

@Dave_P Thank you sir!

@Barbara Maxwell Sorry, I only worship the Invisible Pink Unicorn now, blessed be Her Holy Hooves. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

< Day 1     Day 2

I carried on until 1am last night, passing under the M25 at 11:30pm, and taking the day's canal miles up to 27.

Learnings:

-Finding a place to sleep wasn't easy. My plan to sleep in the dugout at Kings Langley FC's football ground was scuppered when it transpired they had far better fencing than you'd imagine a 7th tier football team's stadium to possess. I ended up in a Holiday Inn as I was in too much of a built up area to find somewhere quiet enough to consider safe, and was shattered.

-On a sample size of 1 night, dog attacks are a 100% outcome of being on the canal very late, and not much chance of an owner being around to intervene. 

Today seemed slower: Much more ice in places, hard to walk fast safely. Only 20 canal miles. 

Updated Stats:

Day 1: 5,909 calories; 65,139 steps; 27 canal miles

Day 2: 4,826 calories; 59,922 steps; 20 canal miles

Quotes of the day:

[on clicking through on the link to the Day 1 post] "...I thought, well at least some idiot has done it before, at least you can follow his route. Then I realised it was your post." - Simon

"Gonna have a hot bath, have a w@nk, light the fire and fall asleep in front of the TV. You?" - Rob

"He's northen. It's f*cking warm outside for him. Northern c***." - Charlie, soft southern shandy drinker

"I'm driving back [to Manchester] next Friday, you could have had a lift" - Sophie

"You won't make it. Jesus said." - Barbara

RouteSoFarSmall.png

Edited by Marc

You know what?  I suggest anyone prepared to welcome this guy should watch out for him and offer a bed on a boat.  If I was not heading to sunny Malta today I would have been inclined to vector in on you.  Crack on and keep living your dream, mega impressed and have done similar in my hardy youth, usually with some brain dead soldier beasting me around.

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ahem.... Jesus knows jack shit about towpath walking.

Or can you come up with a biblical quite saying otherwise?!

Jesus had the advantage of being able to walk on water! Would have been a doddle for Him!

Thanks for finding the time to post Marc even when you have everything else to think about.  I once spent a night in a pill box on The Kennet and Avon when I was too tired to pitch a tent having covered 40 miles in a canoe, surprisingly comfortable!

17 hours ago, NickF said:

I once got a bit lost trying to walk over the top of Blisworth Tunnel, I hope you find your way OK when you get there, 

Hi Nick, I've got this coming up in a few hours. Any advice? I had thought to walk along Stoke Road (but perhaps it doesn't have a pavement, and it will be dark - not ideal).

2 minutes ago, Marc said:

Hi Nick, I've got this coming up in a few hours. Any advice? I had thought to walk along Stoke Road (but perhaps it doesn't have a pavement, and it will be dark - not ideal).

Stoke Road appears to be a small country lane with no pavement having just looked on Google Street View.

10 minutes ago, Marc said:

Stoke Road appears to be a small country lane with no pavement having just looked on Google Street View.

Looking on the map though it looks like the path over the tunnel runs along Stoke Road.

31 minutes ago, Marc said:

Looking at google maps it looks OK. If you follow the path up to the right of the tunnel mouth it should lead you to stoke road. Where i went wrong is i saw ventalation shafts for the tunnel to the left of the path and walked across to them rather than following the path.

Stoke Road looks fine to walk on at night as I guess it's not too busy so as long as you carry a light I can't see that you'll have a problem.

On google maps the footpath back onto the canal at the north end has a small white "canal" sign fixed to the footpath sign so i am sure you will find this OK

Just follow the path and don't stray off it like I did!.

Good luck