I didn't expect to see my old boat on Smith's magazuine shelves!

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

We've appeared in a couple of books-one on our own boat( big surprise when I spotted us & hard to keep my mouth shut as it was a little Xmas pressie for my beloved).Other pic was Paul on one the Brum trip boats.Book was over £20 so I just took a pic of the relevant page !

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

Chino's and shirt in snowy weather or artistic licence?

I went through there in late March 2011, the sun was shining and the daffys  long gone. I don't think the boat and the lock are from the same time, I have been trying to think where I have seen the photo of my boat in that position but have drawn a blanks far.

I like it though :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our family jigsaw puzzle this Christmas (an annual tradition) was of an idyllic canal scene.  In places ultra-realistic (especially the scruffy boat hulls!), it is presumably a montage of places, buildings and (1980s?) boats from around the network, although the stonework suggest the Cotswolds.  Can anyone identify any of the boats, the crew, and especially the bridge?

81K153HbKbL._SL1500_.jpgIncidentally, a very good jigsaw to work on, and the picture was better quality than the photo above!

Just now, Athy said:

Not sure about the boats, but I want the house on the left.

My parents always said to me "I want doesn't get!" :)

Further to the picture how does the steerer of the RHS boat watch all those dials and still steer a straight course?

Edited by Ray T

10 minutes ago, Ray T said:

My parents always said to me "I want doesn't get!" :)

Further to the picture how does the steerer of the RHS boat watch all those dials and still steer a straight course?

As did mine, which is why I shan't be getting the house.

Surely the lower rows of "dials" are representing the decoration found in some working boats' cabins.

Edited by Athy

6 hours ago, Canal Cuttings said:

Our family jigsaw puzzle this Christmas (an annual tradition) was of an idyllic canal scene.  In places ultra-realistic (especially the scruffy boat hulls!), it is presumably a montage of places, buildings and (1980s?) boats from around the network, although the stonework suggest the Cotswolds.  Can anyone identify any of the boats, the crew, and especially the bridge?

81K153HbKbL._SL1500_.jpgIncidentally, a very good jigsaw to work on, and the picture was better quality than the photo above!

The people on the left hand and middle boat should be looking a little more concerned. The wash at the bow of the left hand one shows it is moving at a fair clip, so it is seconds from hitting the side of the middle boat, pushing it in to the moored boat and knocking the boy off his perch on the hatch. The cyclist is going to be distracted by the noise and commotion and wobble in to the cut. The ducks and swans should be OK though.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Whilst we are on the subject of jigsaws - I bought this one for for one of my offspring and partner this Christmas. Can anyone identify the location or the boat? Or is it entirely a work of the imagination?

A1bkZ2mLSlL._SL1500_.jpg

The boat is undoubtedly meant to be Large Woolwich "Baldock", in the Willow Wren CTS livery it was meticulously repainted with by forum member chris_b whilst in his ownership.

The location I don't recognise, and I doubt Chris would have risked going under bridges with a full sized Christmas tree on the roof.

I have not heard anything much about Baldock since it arrived at Norton Canes many moons ago.  Does anybody know current location or status, please?

6 hours ago, Canal Cuttings said:

The middle boat has the look of a rather graceless "Fox" boat, but seems to lack the louvre windows common on these.

I assumed the so called gauges in the right hand boat to be poor depictions of brass rally plaques.

Either the artist doesn't do perspective well, or none of the boats are going easily under that bridge!