I didn't expect to see my old boat on Smith's magazuine shelves!

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

In local W H Smith today, I spotted a "DVD and magazine Set" on display, which had our former boat "Chalice" on the front.

The picture was taken under our ownership, (you can see one of our bikes in the front well deck), but I don't know who was steering, as curiously they have been PhotoShopped out, despite the boat being on the move.

Similar products here on e-Bay.

I recall another forum member ended up with their boat on the outside of a train.

Where's the most unusual place a picture of your boat has turned up?

EDIT:  Same PhotoShopped picture - different product - on a book this time rather than on a DVD.....

61PioTh1rtL.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

When I had "Rigal" she appeared on the front cover of Canal & Riverboat.

Both Rigal & Marcellus were on TV AM when we did the Fly Run, and I learnt that a big mural (photo) of Little Venice with Rigal in the background was on the wall of the Hairdresser's owned by Glynn Edwards (actor of Minder fame)  Sounds like I'm back on the tenuous thread we had a while back.

It was Cygnet on the train, in fact several trains, but getting rarer now that Northern Rail has been succeeded by another company with a similar name who are phasing out the local scenes in favour of more catchy self-promotion.  Trevor, the chap in the picture seen clambering over his boat behind mine, tried to find out who had taken the picture (to get a copy, not to demand royalties!) but the train company refused to tell him.  Have you found out who took the images (film? of your boat?)

Boat on train.jpg

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Our boat ended up on a pub sign and even ended up in the local paper. I know who took the photo as they lifted it from my web site.

"Punch Taverns promised a new sign". 

Did you make an offer for the "old" one?

4 minutes ago, Leo No2 said:

On a coffin - my boat just above Days Lock on the Thames. You can have this coffin if you wish - https://www.creativecoffins.com/our-coffins/narrowboat/

When I complained to them they did offer me a free coffin when the time comes!

Coffin.jpeg

Well, I quite like it.

I particularly like the entrance /exit. Looks very inviting.

That coupled with the chimney for ventilation and heating makes this first time buyers property a must for those wishing to get a foot on the property ladder. 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Iain_S said:

"Punch Taverns promised a new sign". 

Did you make an offer for the "old" one?

The just stuck a sheet of new vinyl over the old one. If they had have asked me I would have given them a high resolution one, but they just lifted a web quality one.

harnser EDP.jpg

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Well, I quite like it.

I particularly like the entrance /exit. Looks very inviting.

That coupled with the chimney for ventilation and heating makes this first time buyers property a must for those wishing to get a foot on the property ladder. 

A friend of mine had a coffin similar to that but with pictures of his own boat on it

3 hours ago, Leo No2 said:

On a coffin - my boat just above Days Lock on the Thames. You can have this coffin if you wish - https://www.creativecoffins.com/our-coffins/narrowboat/

When I complained to them they did offer me a free coffin when the time comes!

Coffin.jpeg

A friend of mine had a coffin similar to that but with pictures of his own boat on it

Yes we are on google earth ... twice . Kintbury winter moorings and going down the locks towards Brentford . Also our roof garden was in the gardening section of one of the magazines.... I recognised the plants . Bunny .

Not exactly "my" boat but I did get a nice surprise when I found out Python was featured on both sides of the "wrap" for Chesterfield Canal Trust's recently acquired van

I don't have a close up that shows the images specifically of Python but she seems to feature a lot all over the place these days now she is working again. The latest 2018 edition of the visitor guide has around 5 or 6 pictures of her in it! 

P1110559.JPG

P1110627.JPG

P1110638.JPG

Not sure if I have attached the picture properly.

It was on the Oxford canal (I think) and taken by a photographer on commission by a hire-boat company to take pictures of their boats out on the canal for a new brochure.

He said he had been there for hours and no boats from the company had come that way whilst he had been there  so he asked if he could take a couple of photos for stock in case he was asked for canal boat pictures. 

We had forgotten all about it until it appeared suddenly on Canals & Rivers ten years ago.   

Willpower - Canals & Rivers Cover - Aug 2007.pdf

Edited by Horace42
add picture

On 08/12/2017 at 20:01, alan_fincher said:

In local W H Smith today, I spotted a "DVD and magazine Set" on display, which had our former boat "Chalice" on the front.

The picture was taken under our ownership, (you can see one of our bikes in the front well deck), but I don't know who was steering, as curiously they have been PhotoShopped out, despite the boat being on the move.

Similar products here on e-Bay.

I recall another forum member ended up with their boat on the outside of a train.

Where's the most unusual place a picture of your boat has turned up?

EDIT:  Same PhotoShopped picture - different product - on a book this time rather than on a DVD.....

61PioTh1rtL.jpg

Also available is the "Adult" version....(thanks to Cheshire Rose)

25075049_10155809145339070_4532432582993

• Haha 3

Someone is flogging a pictures of Owl, taken when it belonged to us, for £7.44.  Apparently it can also be printed on T shirts, mugs etc.

Also someone else is making metal plaques, again with an image of Owl.

The Stationary Engine magazine had a picture of our Kelvin on the front cover, which they mis-captioned as a "Melvin"

BW, as it then was, made a huge advertising hoarding of our son steering a trip boat in Little Venice.

Can't say I'm bothered.

eta: Just remembered, Nicholsons has a picture of Owl heading into London.  I wouldn't have minded, but it wasn't looking its best, because we'd just had some major work done on it and much of it was still in red oxide.  It also shows a drooping rear fender which I hadn't had time to fix.

Edited by koukouvagia

I visited the National Waterways Museum at Gloucester about twenty years ago and whilst watching one of their video presentations I was surprised to see a very small extract of me steering the pair of boats I used to work passing through 'Winson Green Stop'. Up until that point I did not consider myself old enough to be in a museum :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

I was even more suprised when bizzard told me that someone had sorted my Christmas cards out for me this year....and next,  and the year after. 

5a227dae16797_SouthMillLockXmasCards.jpg.8832771b6c9425fa1495d394f1203f4e.jpg

Chino's and shirt in snowy weather or artistic licence?