Clarke pot belly stove (small one)

turner29

Featured Posts

They've completely exempted small stoves having less than 0.01m3 firebox vol and less than .05m2 grate area. I haven't measured my Premier stove's fire box/grate yet but I think it may meet this. Perhaps the Epping does as well. Additionally 8511 now makes all its requirements non mandatory in back cabins.

There used to be one on Python and it was dreadful. it hold such a small amount of fuel and it has so many gaps around the door that it is impossible to regulate how fast it burns properly. Once going it was quite easy to get the entire casting glowing red from the heat but within an hour all the fuel was burned and things started cooling down again. They are great for a focal point in the garden on a spring or autumn evening but as a heat source for a boat I would say it is completely impractical and a waste of money and resources to fit one. 

Cheap is not always cost effective 

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

There used to be one on Python and it was dreadful. it hold such a small amount of fuel and it has so many gaps around the door that it is impossible to regulate how fast it burns properly. Once going it was quite easy to get the entire casting glowing red from the heat but within an hour all the fuel was burned and things started cooling down again. They are great for a focal point in the garden on a spring or autumn evening but as a heat source for a boat I would say it is completely impractical and a waste of money and resources to fit one. 

Cheap is not always cost effective 

Totally agree. A pot belly stove was fitted to my first boat and I only ever used it once before replacing with a Morso. It looked great but it was virtually impossible to control the air flow and hence heat output.

We first fitted a pot .made it up before going to bed.luckely I read for some time and became aware of a hot smell. Whent to se a red hot glowing monster.spent the next 30 minutes emptying the stove with tongues on to the towpath.the casting are so bad the doors don't shut it down.keep away from the things.