rubbish Shurflo pumps

Featured Posts

Third shurflo fresh water pump in four years leaking, now looking at jabsco can anyone explain: my pump states cut out 45psi do i need that or will 25psi be ok, boat 50 ft, galley in centre of boat pump to feed cold water, also have accumulator, need to buy something quick and any advice on what the cut out pressure actually means welcome. Cheers

13 minutes ago, oats said:

Third shurflo fresh water pump in four years leaking, now looking at jabsco can anyone explain: my pump states cut out 45psi do i need that or will 25psi be ok, boat 50 ft, galley in centre of boat pump to feed cold water, also have accumulator, need to buy something quick and any advice on what the cut out pressure actually means welcome. Cheers

Changed our leaking Shurflowto a Jabsco last year. Similar setup to yours and no problems to report (liveaboard use.) Ifmy memory serves me correctly, there is no need for an accumulator with a Jabsco, but not 100% on that. Mine still has the accumulator and I changed no settings.

Mine leaked, still worked ok but it sat in a puddle. could not get a decent seal no matter what sort of gasket I tried till I tried some greenhouse window sealing tape, terrible messy job and looks horrible but it did work. (Yes it has done 10 years of summer cruising - so not continuous)

Edited by Bee

My Par Max 2.9 is coming up for ten years. Boat used about 50%.  Needs accumulator although Jabsco do others that don't need one.

The pump itself hasn't leaked, but the connectors with o-rings can dribble a bit if there is any side pressure.  

1 minute ago, oats said:

Thanks for replies, what is the difference between the cutout pressure and can i change from the present 45psi to 25psi would it cause me any problems cheers

Hard to say really. I just took a chance and all was well. I  suspect the flow rate is most important thing, but will stand corrected.

We had endless problems with pumps until we changed our waste pumps for Whalegulpers and our Sureflow and Jabsco for Whale Watermasters.

Brilliant pumps from a company with superb customer service!

4 minutes ago, Chop! said:

We had endless problems with pumps until we changed our waste pumps for Whalegulpers and our Sureflow and Jabsco for Whale Watermasters.

Brilliant pumps from a company with superb customer service!

We are so pleased with the Gulper on our boat, that I shall be trying the Watermaster next time. The Gulper is one of the best bits of kit on the boat, replacing the stupid "tupperware box" drain pump which liked to flood the bilges at the most inconvenient times.

On 08/12/2017 at 11:34, oats said:

Thanks for replies, what is the difference between the cutout pressure and can i change from the present 45psi to 25psi would it cause me any problems cheers

For a decent flow rate the pump pressure needs to be high for long thin pipes (15mm).  So if pipe runs are not long and use 22mm pipe you will probably be ok, but if long runs in 15mm pipe you may find the shower is a bit feeble.  My pump has a cut out pressure of 1.5bar (so about 22psi) and everything works fine (using 22mm pipe), though the water filter tap in the kitchen is a bit slow when the filter is getting old.

On 08/12/2017 at 11:24, Bee said:

Mine leaked, still worked ok but it sat in a puddle. could not get a decent seal no matter what sort of gasket I tried till I tried some greenhouse window sealing tape, terrible messy job and looks horrible but it did work. (Yes it has done 10 years of summer cruising - so not continuous)

Was that round the outside of the joint or to glue the diaphragm to the housing? 

That was the joint between the motor and the pump assembly, the stuff I used was 'Sylglass' tape, terrible sticky greenish goo impregnated into a sort of fabric of some sort, I split the joint, scraped some of the goo off the Sylglass and then spread it over both sides of the gasket and then put it back together and wrapped sylglass round the whole joint. Awful mess but it lives under the floor so it doesn't matter really.

2 hours ago, Bee said:

That was the joint between the motor and the pump assembly, the stuff I used was 'Sylglass' tape, terrible sticky greenish goo impregnated into a sort of fabric of some sort, I split the joint, scraped some of the goo off the Sylglass and then spread it over both sides of the gasket and then put it back together and wrapped sylglass round the whole joint. Awful mess but it lives under the floor so it doesn't matter really.

I have 2 ex pumps, I may just try that. I have tried the LSX sealant with no luck

Just fitted 4th Shurflo that works out at about 1 every 3.5 years. I did consider changing to Jabsco this time but was hoping for a straight swap. In the event the new pump didn't fit the space so I had to relocate it anyway along with new pipework mounting board etc. I was pretty disappointed when it wouldn't cut out - no instructions for adjustment - but fiddled around with some grub screws I noticed and eventually got it to cut out. I will try another brand in about 3 years time.

9 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

3 shurflo pumps in 6 years. Warrantee 24 months die in 25. Always the pressure switch. Without in old boat with manual switch 15 years

Smileypete's suggestion (long time ago now!) of wiring through a relay is a good one. The microswitch on the pressure switch assembly then only switches relay current, and lasts a lot longer.

The other problem I have had with water pump pressure switches is the small hole before the diaphragm becoming blocked. Fixed by running a drill bit through it, either manually or on a drill. I enlarge them a fair bit, to about 3mm. I have gone larger while experimenting, and found that if the hole is larger than 5mm, the pump cab stutter a bit when cutting out.

The other way round both these problems is to fit a "Square D" type pressure switch, and bypass the pump's own pressure switch.

Bottom line is that a dead pressure switch shouldn't mean a dead pump.

Edited by Iain_S
  • Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Replacement switch is only few pounds less than pump. Hence I have 2 spare pumps. 

Shurly a shurflo micro switch costs pennies from maplin and the like. A square d costs a bit more though, but should last a number of pumps, particularly if accompanied by a relay as already mentioned. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Shurly a shurflo micro switch costs pennies from maplin and the like. A square d costs a bit more though, but should last a number of pumps, particularly if accompanied by a relay as already mentioned. 

I paid @ 35 Quids for an Italian made remote Pressure Switch around 15 Years ago.and it does indeed Trigger a Relay.another advantage is that it can be adjusted to suit a boat's Plumbing.The System runs at 18 PSI ,never quite sure why people run them at 50 PSI.