Fill Yer Tanks and Top Up Yer Coal

matty40s

Featured Posts

Last chance,  it really does look like we may be in for our first proper Winter since 2010. (Although Easter 2013 tries it's best).

There' probably quite a few new boaters who havnt seen a decent cold and snowy spell yet so get prepared,  Sunday could see a snow fest for Midlands areas and the temperatures could mean we see proper ice forming on the canals from tommorow onwards. 

• Greenie 1

Not sure what we will do with coal :D

We had planned to visit Lincoln Christmas Market by boat this weekend but it looks like the weather might have had other ideas. Think we will walk into town and get a bus or taxi back to the marina instead. Then try and make our way home to Sheffield on Sunday which if the forecast is right could be easier said then done.

Think we are due some snow here in Sheffield this afternoon/evening as well. Will make for an interesting commute after work as everyone seems to forget how to drive when they see a flake of snow :angry:

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Its always warmer with a thick layer of snow on the roof, pity we can't keep one all winter 

But remember the problems the last bad snow caused to paintwork while Phill was still active here. If it stays on the roof for too long and goes through a partial thaw and then freeze cycle you are likely to get micro-blistering.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

But remember the problems the last bad snow caused to paintwork while Phill was still active here. If it stays on the roof for too long and goes through a partial thaw and then freeze cycle you are likely to get micro-blistering.

What, you mean I should  clear my roof if it snows. Just as well i'm nearby

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

What, you mean I should  clear my roof if it snows. Just as well i'm nearby

Seriously yes. Obviously not if it’s still snowing!  Bit like the guy I once watched leaf-blowing in a park on a windy day...

Leaving a layer of snow for weeks on end can cause ‘orrible effects to the paintwork. 

It does  seem to have been particularly cold , so far, and unusual to see snow this side of Christmas. However the temperatures although at freezing don't look particularly severe over the weekend (at my location).

13 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Seriously yes. Obviously not if it’s still snowing!  Bit like the guy I once watched leaf-blowing in a park on a windy day...

Leaving a layer of snow for weeks on end can cause ‘orrible effects to the paintwork. 

Well, i never knew that. I knew there was a good reason i'm on this forum. 

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

It does  seem to have been particularly cold , so far, and unusual to see snow this side of Christmas. However the temperatures although at freezing don't look particularly severe over the weekend (at my location).

They were not forecast to be too cold in Lincoln last Monday morning, well above freezing in fact. But we woke up to -4 and a frozen over marina.

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

We have a picture somewhere of NC from 2010, I will try and dig it out. She had about 1ft of snow on the port side of of the coach roof, walkways and canopy but nothing on the starboard side of the boat as that sits in the sun all day. The list she had developed was quite impressive.

Not quite so impressive was our attempt to clear the snow and get the boat sat back level in the ice surrounding the hull :blush:

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

They were not forecast to be too cold in Lincoln last Monday morning, well above freezing in fact. But we woke up to -4 and a frozen over marina.

We have a picture somewhere of NC from 2010, I will try and dig it out. She had about 1ft of snow on the port side of of the coach roof, walkways and canopy but nothing on the starboard side of the boat as that sits in the sun all day. The list she had developed was quite impressive.

Not quite so impressive was our attempt to clear the snow and get the boat sat back level in the ice surrounding the hull :blush:

It’s surprising sometimes just how much snow weighs. 

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, i never knew that. I knew there was a good reason i'm on this forum 

The explanation, if I remember correctly, is that the paint currently used on narrowboats (as compared to that used on road vehicles) isn’t completely waterproof. So constant ‘immersion’ under the snow allows tiny amounts of moisture to permeate through, resulting in ‘micro-bubbles’. It looks like the paint equivalent of heat rash. Only without the heat. Or redness. Or itching. 

Just now, WotEver said:

The explanation, if I remember correctly, is that the paint currently used on narrowboats (as compared to that used on road vehicles) isn’t completely waterproof. So constant ‘immersion’ under the snow allows tiny amounts of moisture to permeate through, resulting in ‘micro-bubbles’. It looks like the paint equivalent of heat rash. Only without the heat. Or redness. Or itching. 

Think i will jotamastic mine next year :)

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Like this:

DSCF2014.jpg

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

That sounds like a plan. Try my leaf blower on the roof after it has snowed.

I recommend using vehicle synthetic enamel on the roof, much more weather proof that fancy boat paints.. My roof is done in the old Valflash Vauxhall wavecrest blue, 19 years old now.  Ault Wiborg ex Berger vehicle paint is excellent too.