Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Canal World is currently fundraising. Please click here to find out more.

Sharibeau

Leave empty or not ?

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Something else to think about as the op did say they were thinking of not running the engine for 2 or 3 months is that the engine oil may not protect the bearing surfaces if not circulated say monthly - ie by running the engine.  Just running the engine for a few moments which is enough to circulate the oil is bad, as water is produced when diesel is burnt, and this does need 'boiling off' by running the engine until it is at 'normal' temperature.  

Agreed, also by not running an engine for long periods will probably lead to valves & seats rusting when in the open position. In my opinion a month would be a more suitable maximum period without running or at least turning the engine over.

Thanks guys !

I've been working  shift work so not had chance to reply :mellow:

So, on all the ( good ) advice I've decided to put a few gallons of diesel ( with a can and syphon ) and chuck the appropriate amount of Marine 16 in the tank. I will start her up every couple of months ( as i have been doing ) and in the Spring hopefully take out all the residual diesel and water and fill her up and fingers crossed no harm will be done. :)

That's basically what I do from about now till it warms up enough to go cruising.  Never needed to drain the diesel in the spring.  Wait till spring and see if there is water present.