Leave empty or not ?

Sharibeau

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Something else to think about as the op did say they were thinking of not running the engine for 2 or 3 months is that the engine oil may not protect the bearing surfaces if not circulated say monthly - ie by running the engine.  Just running the engine for a few moments which is enough to circulate the oil is bad, as water is produced when diesel is burnt, and this does need 'boiling off' by running the engine until it is at 'normal' temperature.  

Agreed, also by not running an engine for long periods will probably lead to valves & seats rusting when in the open position. In my opinion a month would be a more suitable maximum period without running or at least turning the engine over.

Thanks guys !

I've been working  shift work so not had chance to reply :mellow:

So, on all the ( good ) advice I've decided to put a few gallons of diesel ( with a can and syphon ) and chuck the appropriate amount of Marine 16 in the tank. I will start her up every couple of months ( as i have been doing ) and in the Spring hopefully take out all the residual diesel and water and fill her up and fingers crossed no harm will be done. :)

• 1 month later...
On 06/12/2017 at 09:55, Sharibeau said:

This is the first time i have lived on a canal boat ( or even been on one ! ). I purchase her in the summer and now the winter is here the advice i have been given is ' you must have a full fuel tank in the winter to avoid condensation'

i have dipped my tank and it is practically empty - my logic is - ' that's fine , i'll just drain out if any condensation in the spring and re- fill her with new diesel as i'm not using the engine all winter'

some of the folk on my marina have said that they wouldn't advise this but couldn't explain why

Can someone please clarify if i can leave the fuel tank empty - drain out any water in the spring and fill tank or do i need to fill the tank now ? 

Thanks

Reading this before setting off on a 260 mile round trip to go to a boat jumble where I no doubt will buy some ...........jumble:D.

This topic has reminded me to look for some Marine 16.

Two observations. 1) Never seen the point of trying to drain crud out of a fuel tank using the drain plug. The very mechanics of putting a plug in a tank (unless underneath) means that some liquid must remain. 2) A Pela pump used every spring is quick, reasonably clean and the gallon or so removed can be used for starting bonfires.

Now, how many more miles of rope do I need (not) :detective:

Frank

3 minutes ago, Slim said:

Reading this before setting off on a 260 mile round trip to go to a boat jumble where I no doubt will buy some ...........jumble:D

Presumably Newark?

Is it worth such  a long journey?

12 hours ago, Eileen Welland said:

We bought a fuel guard filter that fits in line between the tank and normal fuel filter It separates any water from the diesel and filters out any gunk  All other half Does is opens bottom tap on it to drain any water that’s in there 

Done us well 

And if he is drawing water out of his nice expensive filter then he has water in his tank.

I keep getting tempted by the FuelGuard filter but its very expensive. But,  we've had the boat for ten years and only once taken just a little water out of the filter. The fuel pick up pipe in the tank should be raised a bit of the bottom so if your sucking up water then you must have a LOT of water in the tank. As said, taking a fuel sample from the very bottom of the tank once or twice a year is the best approach.

I suppose the FuelGuard would/might partly protect against a sudden major ingress of water into the tank.

...................Dave