Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Canal World is currently fundraising. Please click here to find out more.

RichM

Canalworld - Fundraising

Featured Posts

05/12/2017 21:30

Good evening,

As you may know, Canal World is funded entirely by our loyal members. However due to a steady increase in operating costs, current donations are not meeting our full running costs each month. Over the last 5 months our monthly costs have averaged around about £180 while average donations have been around £160 which means we need to raise around £240/year more to avoid running out of money in the pot!

Our operating costs consist mainly of the techy stuff. - Canal World is hosted on a new powerful UK based web server. Not only that, we have also invested in our storage capability enabling us to store all forum images and attachments securely and without members having to use a third party site such as Photobucket. As a result, we don't have to worry about running out of web space and members can upload photos freely to Canal World, not to mention the site is still 100% ad free! Some benefits are less noticeable but equally as great; It also helps keep the forum stable too with the new host contributing directly towards our 99.94% up-time this year. Stable, Online and Ad free. Great! :)

httpcheck.png

The downside is that unfortunately this comes at a cost and this cost is dependent on how much we use, a bit like our energy bills. As such, we would greatly appreciate any additional donations from our valued members.

To make a donation, you may click the "Donate" button at the top right of the page, or click here. Donations can be annual, one-off, or monthly. £24/year is just 46p a week and makes all the difference to keeping our valuable site and community stable and online for years to come. As a small token of appreciation to those who donate to Canal World, we will display a small star.png next to their forum name. 

Thank you

The Canalworld Team

Thanks a lot Richard, we really wouldn't be where we are today without our members and it great the site is so well used.

Daniel

I'm one of those who still donate monthly, but I can't see my star, sob :huh:. Maybe it's because the PayPal account is in SWMBO's name?

More importantly, on my iPad the donate button is in the overflow menu accessed by touching More at the top right, guess it depends on screen size.

1 minute ago, BruceinSanity said:

I'm one of those who still donate monthly, but I can't see my star, sob :huh:. Maybe it's because the PayPal account is in SWMBO's name?

Your star is absent on my screen too.

When I were a mod I considered my donation was the time that I put in.  Now that I are not a mod I have set up an annual yearly payment that goes out once a year.  I did that because the most excellent Richard reminded me to.

Aren't I good?

N

:glare:

3 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

If you are one of the original donors paying directly into the PayPal account then you will not have a star. This is purely down to technical limitations on incorporating these donations into the current system, your donation is still equally valid and equally we received.

3 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

More importantly, on my iPad the donate button is in the overflow menu accessed by touching More at the top right, guess it depends on screen size.

Yes, on a smaller screen size the tabs turn into a menu. However their is a direct link at the top of this thread.

Thanks

Daniel

We've learnt such a lot from this forum, our monthly donation now seems a bit small.  I'm not sure how to increase it - can anyone help? Or is it just easier to set up another one?!

I understand once on the current integrated system you can switch between donation levels reasonably easily within the forum software.

If your existing donation is via direct payment into the sites Paypal account then you can either set up a second donation via the integrated system, or you can cancel the original payments and set a new one up for the combined amount.

Thanks

Daniel

12 minutes ago, JJay said:

We've learnt such a lot from this forum, our monthly donation now seems a bit small.  I'm not sure how to increase it - can anyone help? Or is it just easier to set up another one?!

Well - I have tried to pay a one off but found that it involved me in a Ebay company but I did persevere. Next I found that Ebay wanted address telephone numbers and an email address that I am not happy to give them. Next I found that they are going to deliver my donation to my home address.

Its a compete mess, I would rather simply send a cheque or even a note in an envelope.

I gave a false email address so I hope the forum get my donation.

Yep same as Tony although I donated a one off payment via Paypal. It all seemed to work okay until the end where Paypal said it was delivering (what???) to me at my home address. Hopefully you wil get it but in all honesty that donatation method, specifically for the one off donation, is completely confusing. Oh and I don't know whether I get a star or not and I really don't give a damn. Personally I don't want a star.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Well - I have tried to pay a one off but found that it involved me in a Ebay company but I did persevere. Next I found that Ebay wanted address telephone numbers and an email address that I am not happy to give them. Next I found that they are going to deliver my donation to my home address.

Its a compete mess, I would rather simply send a cheque or even a note in an envelope.

I gave a false email address so I hope the forum get my donation.

57 minutes ago, pete.i said:

Yep same as Tony although I donated a one off payment via Paypal. It all seemed to work okay until the end where Paypal said it was delivering (what???) to me at my home address. Hopefully you wil get it but in all honesty that donatation method, specifically for the one off donation, is completely confusing. Oh and I don't know whether I get a star or not and I really don't give a damn. Personally I don't want a star.

Tony, Pete,

Thank you for your donations.

We use Paypal for the majority of forum transactions as while not perfect it offers cost effective method which is convenient to most users as well as staff. Paypal can also be used even if you do not have an account with them, click 'check out as guest' and pay using a normal credit or debit card.

If paying using a card your address is required for the car payment. However canalworld does not need your address for delivery and you are welcome to fill this with a false address if you prefer.

Daniel

I am very happy to donate via the folding stuff but being a ludite I am sorry but pay pal it out for me, I know I am in the minority here :)

What I dont like is the star thing, it strikes me as an us and them type thing, too divisive

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 3

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

I am very happy to donate via the folding stuff but being a ludite I am sorry but pay pal it out for me, I know I am in the minority here :)

What I dont like is the star thing, it strikes me as an us and them type thing, too divisive

Exactly what I thought and why I made the remarks I did. Why on earth do we need a gold star?????

Gold stars are a good idea. When I see them it will nag at me to do something. Think of it as very small and tidy advertising. It would be a good idea to have a collector at banters, should there ever be some, able to take the old-fashioned stuff.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

Gold stars are a good idea. When I see them it will nag at me to do something. Think of it as very small and tidy advertising. It would be a good idea to have a collector at banters, should there ever be some, able to take the old-fashioned stuff.

To add, it helps to raise awareness of our donation system without (I hope) being intrusive and at the same time, showing some form of recognition to those kind enough to donate. - Again, without going overboard about it. That said, I appreciate some may not want it and with that in mind I can remove them individually as and when requested. 

In any case, thank you all for the donations received so far. It will help towards the running costs.

Cheers

RichM

I think it would be a little more subtle and a little less showy offy if the name of contributors was displayed in italics, say. Rather than the word "Contributor" with a gold star after it in such a conspicuous way. The gold star should if we must have it, should be optional. It will put off from contributing as many people as it attracts in my opinion. 

• Greenie 1

I agree with Mike. No gold stars and in fact, I don't see any benefit in identifying in any way whop has contributed. 

Haggis

Well I guess we all have views on it. As I say it is optional, I can remove it if people don't want it. No problem at all, just drop me a PM. It has been there for more than 6 months so it's not new. - I am surprised nothing has been said about it until now.

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

I agree with Mike. No gold stars and in fact, I don't see any benefit in identifying in any way whop has contributed. 

Haggis

Me to, I don't want one, but it might just encourage others to give if they don't have one

I mean, you can't please all the people all the time. The star does not pass any real comment on how much or how recently you have contributed. 

Regular donations are best in terms of stability but if enough give the size of individual contributions is less critical.

Daniel

For me, it beats the compulsory charges on other sites to gain full access or posting rights, etc. Here, folk can use the site freely and have the choice to find out how useful it is to them before deciding to contribute to its upkeep. The attribution of stars (or whatever) amongst those we are sharing info with or who's help we're benefitting from is nice way to keep in focus the idea that we too can help the site stay solvent. 

I support the initiative. 

12 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

It would be a good idea to have a collector at banters, should there ever be some, able to take the old-fashioned stuff.

I still have the collection pot I used to take to banters for that purpose. I stopped taking it because there was very rarely any money put in it. I have dug it out and will take it to Loughborough with me just in case anyone wants to put some shrapnel in it in the light of the fact that there is this current campaign to raise some funds. I will then use my Paypal account to transfer the cash in the pot (if there is any) to the forum - another reason why the star is not such a good idea perhaps? I would not want my account to be carrying a star for money I have donated on behalf of others.

I like Paypal for the convenience of it, I appreciate that not everyone will feel the same but I have been using Paypal since 1999 when, for me, the alternative to getting paid a few dollars from the USA or a few yen from Japan was to rely on Western Union (which is far more complex for a transaction with a person you do not even know) or to wait for the individual to post me a money order that my bank would charge me £15 to process.

I have not had any easily insurmountable problems with Paypal in those years. Once of the best things Chesterfield Canal Trust ever did was get signed up for it so people from around the world can donate money or pay for goods, membership or boat trips with a couple of mouse clicks. I think there were around 20 payments dropped into the CCT account in one day yesterday! Kerching!

2 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

I have been using Paypal since 1999

Me too. I make several regular monthly payments through it and use it exclusively for any online transaction. Never had a single problem with PayPal. Had a couple of problems with suppliers over the years and PayPal sorted those out promptly with a refund - they’re very much on the side of the customer.