Tring Summit Level Restriction

Dave123

Featured Posts

Anyone heard anymore about whether the pump has been fixed? Just hearing rumours the water levels are getting worse and the restrictions may be increased. Had hoped to get over the summit and down to Aylesbury for Christmas!

Notice Details

From Date:
8th November 2017
To Date:
until further notice
Type:
Navigation Restriction
Reason:
Water resources
Notice updates:
08/11/2017 @ 08:50

This restriction will extend to lock 46, Cowroast Lock.

Description:

Due to a pump breakdown we are needing to carefully manage water resources and restrict navigation on the Marsworth flight between lock 39 to Lock 45.

The navigation will be open from 11am to 4pm, with last entry into flight 2:30pm.

Updates to be provided as work progresses on temporary pumping installation and the reservoirs refilling and the towpath will remain open

Starts At:
Lock 39
Ends At:
Lock 46, Cowroast Lock

I recall hearing someone say at the weekend m(02 december '17) it would take some months to get the pump fixed................water levels are low and locking opening times on the Marsworth flight are limited.

On addition to the Tringford pumpand the Cowroast pumps, The Tring summit is fed from Tring sewage works to the tune of about 10 locks a day and from the Tring drainage feeder, both on the Wendover Arm near New Mill.  There is also the South Railway feeder which drains the railway cutting. The latter two are dependant on local rainfall for any significant input.

This sounds more like another CART water control cock up given that there should be at least two pumps at Tringford and a back pump as well as a bore pump at Cowroast.

N

Which pump is supposed to be out of action?

The Cow Roast bore hole pump was certainly in use over the past few days, so it can't be that one that is broken, surely?

There's some splendid stuff about this on FaceBook.

Apparently CRT stand accused of having sold off one of the Marsworth reservoir group to the local anglers. and now have to buy the water from it back off of them!.....

(Yes, honestly!).

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Have just read an answer elsewhere from someone in CRT that seems to confirm the issue is a Tringford.

Also that everywhere between Three Locks and Winkwell is now potentially subject to low water levels.

.....and the rest, last Thursday all the bottom gates at the 3 Locks were open and a ground paddle on every top lock was open too. CRT water management services.

48 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The Cow Roast bore hole pump was certainly in use over the past few days, so it can't be that one that is broken, surely?

I've been told that CaRT have reached to limit of the annual volume of water allowed to be extracted at Cowroast. 

Waterways reckon that the spare parts for the broken Tringford pump are not readily available and as Leo says, it looks like several months of low levels on the summit.

Boats either side of the summit are being told they don’t have to move yet the stoppage has still not been declared. Winkwell to Three Locks is a long stretch. They’ve had problems since the summer , when we were stuck for a day above the Horton pound it was because the pump there had failed again so they ran water down from Marsworth back then. 

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

This is also reputedly the reason that they have closed the Leicester Line. They cannot take the Saddington, Naseby and Welford reservoirs below 30% as they have sold the fishing rights off and this is part of the contract. Stuff boaters eh.

I drove down the lane bordering Saddington a couple of weeks ago and it was very empty . 

7 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Anyone heard anymore about whether the pump has been fixed? Just hearing rumours the water levels are getting worse and the restrictions may be increased. Had hoped to get over the summit and down to Aylesbury for Christmas!

Aylesbury Arm is closed until 15 December. Hopefully by the time you get there they will have sorted out the bridge at Broughton where the the towpath under the bridge had fallen into the canal. Have taken 2 large Woolwichs down earlier in the year and both got well and truly stuck!

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

You didn't need a Woolwich to get stuck, brought 2 normal leisure boats out of the basin in early July and it was hard work most of the way up.....especially through that bridge.

Well I managed to get down to the basin in May so hopefully it will be ok. And as to the low levels, again fingers crossed for lots of rain. I'd hope the last resort would at least be bookable passages on a handful of days as they are doing with the Leicester arm.

Posted elsewhere was the information that there  are 3 pumps at Tringford the main one and 2 back ups, the back ups have not been maintained as the main pump was thought sufficient and the main one has now failed, being old it will take time to source spares. I have no personal confirmation of this but it rings true.

http://www.fotr.org.uk/p/history-of-reservoirs.html?m=1

It is also unofficially stated elsewhere that the stoppage at lower Dudswell for a paddle replacement has ended early, and the canal there is now reopened.

I'm only passing on the statement - I haven't personally verified it.

• 4 weeks later...

It's dated 21st December and talks about the pump having a "Christmas break" for its bearings to be replaced, so sort of implies it'll be back in action early in the new year. My experience in IT tells me that a golden rule of fixing a program is to try to avoid promising it'll be OK by a specific date, even though you know there's over a 90% chance it will be working by then. I'm sure all kinds of engineers and technicians follow much the same policy as computer programmers on this.

20 hours ago, Peter X said:

It's dated 21st December and talks about the pump having a "Christmas break" for its bearings to be replaced, so sort of implies it'll be back in action early in the new year. My experience in IT tells me that a golden rule of fixing a program is to try to avoid promising it'll be OK by a specific date, even though you know there's over a 90% chance it will be working by then. I'm sure all kinds of engineers and technicians follow much the same policy as computer programmers on this.

Not in project management. Everything is date driven, usually to very tight schedules, even commissioning when you find out what isn't working properly.

When I left the game the bigger clients expected a data centre to be built and operational in 12 weeks, from cutting the first sod to completion, with only 6 months before that for specifying and ordering major items of plant.

Rarely missed completion dates but often ended up with the contractors working 24/7 in shifts to get in done on time.

Glad I'm out of it now and can enjoy a relaxing pace of life.

On 12/29/2017 at 11:30, koukouvagia said:

Latest on theTringford pump.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/blogs/the-water-management-team/tringford-pump-lifting

I notice it doesn't say when things will return to normal.

Interesting, but there seems to be long term problems with water supply to the reservoirs due to weed growth on the unrestored section of the Wendover arm, this is restricting flow and causing water to back-up and flood the tow path and area by the old wharf at Wendover.

Levels on the summit were good at Cowroast this morning and the back pump was not being used.

58 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I know you know this, but I would suggest that what is at Cow Roast is not a back pump.

Correct Alan, the only thing working at Cowroast at the moment are land based locals filling the rubbish bins with hardcore...............

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

I know you know this, but I would suggest that what is at Cow Roast is not a back pump.

Its both a pump from the well and a back pump or it was. 20 odd years ago they recommissioned the pump  and ruined what was a wonderful source of spring water as it then mixed with canal water.:angry: