Water pump quieting

Tom Richmond

Featured Posts

Just fired up my water system have g finally installed basin and connected final tap. The pump is a jabsco par max 3.5, mounted on an 18mm birch ply bulkhead. 

It's loud.

It's very loud.

It's too loud.

It is mounted with it's little rubber spacers, I tried today to mount it off the 18mm on a little 'bridge' but it made no difference. 

The bulkhead is just acting like a massive soundboard. It is tiled on the reverse side, but this does little to deaden the sound. I am wondering about some kind of sound insulation, but it's tricky cos the back of the board is covered in plumbing!

Any bright ideas?

If the bulkhead is acting as a soundboard then basically remove it from the soundboard or stiffen it up with thick n heavy ply seperated by rubber, so you basically have a large heavy base for the pump to sit on seperated from the bulkhead with rubber.

91EF0669-7F57-4DF0-AFB6-599C289F3556.jpeg

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

We had the same issue with the Shurflo on Helvetia. It was located on the floor underneath the Bath/shower unit, but not screwesd down. It was already coonnected with flexible pipes, but I managed to reduce the noise significantly by placing a sheet of 1" thick polystyrene bertween it and the the floor. Another possiibility might be to use a peice of high density sound insulating foam.

11 minutes ago, bizzard said:

They can also be suspended in mid air by lots of tension springs or better still elastic bands sprouting out from it in all directions, like a washing machine drum.

Funnily enough Biz on my last boat I suspended the pump behind the washing machine in the kitchen. I used plastic cable ties in a manner that stopped it swinging around much but non of the pump touched anything solid and with flexible water pipe attached to it there was little noise whatsoever. On this boat its on the floor in a cupboard with flexible pipework and not fixed down at all, its not noisey and could be quieter if I could be arsed to plonk it on a piece of insulating stuff but as its only running a few seconds at a time who gives a hoot.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Funnily enough Biz on my last boat I suspended the pump behind the washing machine in the kitchen. I used plastic cable ties in a manner that stopped it swinging around much but non of the pump touched anything solid and with flexible water pipe attached to it there was little noise whatsoever. On this boat its on the floor in a cupboard with flexible pipework and not fixed down at all, its not noisey and could be quieter if I could be arsed to plonk it on a piece of insulating stuff but as its only running a few seconds at a time who gives a hoot.

Things is it does need to be heard though, so for that reason and for folk who are a bit mutton Geof  It might be best to make it very noisy. In that case I suggest its mounted directly without the rubber feet upon the bottom of an upturned empty metal dustbin.

Try flexi hose either side of the pump connections as suggested by Rusty, but use enough to form a 360 loop. This will reduce vibrations going into the pipework. After I fitted a new pump earlier this year, mine's like this but screwed down to the well-supported deck above the bilge (not a bulkhead as yours is) using rubber washers.  It's now quite unobtrusive, but any quieter than mine now is would be counter-productive as the first sign of a leak is often the pump repeatedly flashing up, so it's good to be able to hear it enough for that purpose.

• Greenie 1

Mine is on 18mm rubber pillar things mounted onto a thick solid slab of wood that sits on 1 inch thick dense foam resting on the floor, pump connected by flexible pipes. It can be heard but, you can talk without difficulty, although perhaps a whispered conversation would be a problem, near it. My shower pump is mounted on the hull side on a wooden pad but it makes more noise.