Road diesel in an ST2

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Lutine could do with more fuel. I have a 20 litre Jerry can in the car. Is there any reason  (other than cost) not to use the white stuff as sold by my local Sainsbury? Living in Frome red diesel is only available locally by the tanker load. Tesco Marlborough have it, as do some boatyards. However Marlborough is a long way just for fuel and the boatyards would also need a special trip.

Thoughts?

Not a problem its the same stuff as red, unless of course you have been using FAME free diesel .

Oh and you may find some garages refuse to let you put more than 10L in a can

Edited by Loddon

I've  worked for a couple of the main hire boat operators. One of my jobs was ordering several thousands litres of diesel each week. Had several suppliers, price could be fractions of a penny litre different, but multiplied by the volumes would make a huge difference. Not one would give a Certificate of Conformity to guarantee fame free. Could be supplier  A one week  B the next and so on. White will be the same as red but a different colour.

15 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

Are there no farm merchants near you that sell it? We have at least two with pumps within 10 km of home (Gloucestershire). It's cheaper than marina fuel too.

Well it would be as Farmers don't pay the same duty as boats, or have to make the same declaration, however, before they will supply us (a Farm) we have to make a declaration it is for agricultural use only.

If you are using ag-diesel in your boat you are breaking the law - not something you want to advertise !!

25 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

Are there no farm merchants near you that sell it? We have at least two with pumps within 10 km of home (Gloucestershire). It's cheaper than marina fuel too.

But you can't legally use it for a canal boat's engine, can you?

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You could always work out your percentage and send HMRC a cheque every couple of months. 

Not that easy, you need all sorts of codes and account numbers to give money properly to HMRC, and if you send them a cheque they will come chasing and investigating and wanting more.

But if you only want to rid yourself of guilt then I reckon sending cash (used fivers) in an envelope (brown of course) is the way to do it. :D

...........Dave

5 minutes ago, mross said:

There are no such restrictions for diesel!  Only petrol.  But ask first in case you are dealing with muppets.

I know that! but some garages have a blanket policy nothing over 10L..........

Try filling (as I do) a 25l petrol outboard fuel tank. The joys of unattended auto pump fuel stations.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Try filling (as I do) a 25l petrol outboard fuel tank. The joys of unattended auto pump fuel stations.

Mross had it.

To be fair we are governed by our petroleum licence. Petrol 10 litres max in a plastic container and 20 litres in a metal one. I think a demountable fuel tank can be 30 litres. As far as I know there is no requirement for diesel. However  as said the same will apply for both. I'l check whether that is a legal requirement or just a rule.

Were quite relaxed. We get loads of boats  and boaters coming in and as long as it was a proper fuel can or portable tank. We've ever refused it.

Technically you can't store more than 30 litres of petrol without informing the local petroleum officer.

I turned up at a petrol staton with a 1 litre Sig fuel bottle

I had to argue but they let me fill it up in the end as it complied with every point on their sign.

I fill up 20l JERRY cans with petroleum or diesel reasonaby often and our local Asda says 5l plastic and 10l metal. The only time I’ve been challenged I just smiled and said I thought my JERRY can was just 5l is it not ? by which time I’d put best part of 20 l in and I said I’d be happy to give it them back or they could let me have it for free.... 

i didn’t know it was different for diesel ! 

One of my local garages sells red diesel in 20l containers and so long as you tell them it’s for plant they are quite happy. 

10 hours ago, Loddon said:

Try filling a 100 litre inboard tank on a 6.5m boat on a trailer?

"You have to remove the tank from the boat while you fill it"

In the end, we backed up slightly, said loudly "At least lets fill the tow vehicle" and surreptitiously passed the hose up into the bow of the boat.

14 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

No-one has ever asked me what it's used for. Mostly heating anyway.

The one time I have bought red at a filling station I was asked what it was for - mind you they did say that as I don't own a diesel car the tax man wouldn't be very interested.

Thanks for all the answers folks - she has been using a lot of diesel as about half of it is ending up in the lubricating oil! I did idly wonder whether to tip the old sump oil in the tank as it's 50/50 diesel, but felt this might be pushing my luck

11 hours ago, zenataomm said:

If you put in white (as originally asked) you may then use the roads, Spaghetti Jctn springs to mind.

Oops didn't think of that, so when I do the old main line that actually runs along under the motorway for quite a distance I really should have been using DERV?

Ill stick a 20p on the roof of the boat and HMRC can come and collect it whenever they want.

What will happen when the Lichfield canal gets finished...will we have to pay a little toll to go over the M6???? :D

............Dave

I used to get a pint of petrol in a milk bottle frpm a garage for my Corgi bike which I bought from a retired council rent collector for 2/6p.  I only rode it at night because I was under aged, no licence, nothing. It was quite rapid, 90cc Brockhouse engine, no match for the polices Triumphs though.

Edited by bizzard

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

I used to get a pint of petrol in a milk bottle frpm a garage for my Corgi bike which I bought from a retired council rent collector for 2/6p.  I only rode it at night because I was under aged, no licence, nothing. It was quite rapid, 90cc Brockhouse engine, no match for the polices Triumphs though.

I wouldn't mind one of those now, ideal bike for a CC'er. Takes up less space than a Honda Dax monkey bike