Loughborough Breach

Richard T

Featured Posts

These images (copyright John Roulston) turned up on the Remember Loughborough Facebook page yesterday. They appear to show two boats. One of which looks like its ex FMC in which case it may be Camel. Can anyone help identify the boats? The poster thought that the photos were taken in the 1980's. One image is taken from he basion looking towards the Chain bridge, the other is by Belton Road bridge.

Loughbrough 1.jpg

Loughborough 2.jpg

The boat in the top photograph is CORVUS, originally a small Northwich butty but fitted with a counter stern by British Waterways board in November 1984 (can anybody provide a specific date - mine come from B.W.B. records but I am not convinced).

The F.M.C. Ltd. motor could well be CAMEL as it was certainly being used as a maintenance boat in the Leicester area in the mid 1980's :captain:

21 hours ago, matty40s said:

Where was the breach, one of the culverts??

Clothes and vehicle suggest early 80's

Matty

I know nothing about the breach as to where it was and exactly when. We we were not boating at that time although we had an interest in canals. I was more interested in identifying the boats in the photos - I know the current owner of Camel and he collects images of the boat. There is a culverted brook under the canal near where the FMC boat is moored so perhaps it was being used to repair it.

Richard

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Looks like the same boat to me with the same cement mixer, I need to get some new glasses.

Yes you do. The second boat clearly has a guard round the counter at about mid height. The first one hasn't.

Edited by David Mack

I do remember that, I think it was mid 80's and I was a volunteer on The Peter Le Marchant Boat Symphony which I think was in her first season. When the level started dropping the full time skipper managed to get her the 100 yds from her mooring (where it was then) to Loughborough Lock and so the boat was able to run for a season from The Plough at Normanton. 

From what I remember the breach was into the culvert where the Wood Brook runs under the canal ... see link below

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.7775546,-1.2137301,127a,35y,301.78h,45t/data=!3m1!1e3

At The time the Peter Le Marchant Moorings were where the cars are parked right by the canal North West of the bridge.

Edited by NickF

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/12/2017 at 12:52, Richard T said:

I have now received a copy of a photo of Loughborough basin with a boat which we think is Camel in it. This has differences to the full length boat in my earlier post. Has anyone ideas about which boat it might be?

Loughborough Basin.jpg

Looks the same to me, with some equipment removed from the hold. There's an interesting boat behind it.