Petrol on the kennet and avon

the blind novice

Featured Posts

Though not impossible, petrol on the inland system is often a pain to get unless you as you say you don't mind a walk. Do be careful re its storage and use as its way more volatile than diesel and goes bang very easily.

4 minutes ago, the blind novice said:

Well Im starting in devizes and intend to spend the summer cruising. On the ka to start with. But after that ???

Trowbridge, Bradford on Avon, Bath, Devizes, all have fuel stations not too far away from the canal. A mobile phone app is always useful for this.

Edited by Mike Hurley

It depends how far you are willing to walk with your fuel can. Google should be a big help here, it will tell you how far, the best route, and how long it will take.

Devizes is a fair walk. Pewsey is also a bit of a walk but I have done it several times. It would be ok with a 10 litre can but not much fun with a 20. Hungerford is good.

Quite a few K&A boaters have cars with them and are generally a friendly bunch, you should be able to get a lift if you ask nicely.

...............Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

It depends how far you are willing to walk with your fuel can. Google should be a big help here, it will tell you how far, the best route, and how long it will take.

Devizes is a fair walk. Pewsey is also a bit of a walk but I have done it several times. It would be ok with a 10 litre can but not much fun with a 20. Hungerford is good.

Quite a few K&A boaters have cars with them and are generally a friendly bunch, you should be able to get a lift if you ask nicely.

...............Dave

Indeed!  :D

1 hour ago, the blind novice said:

Where can I get petrol on the kennet and avon. Dont mind a short walk. 

1 hour ago, the blind novice said:

Well Im starting in devizes and intend to spend the summer cruising. On the ka to start with. But after that ???

There is a petrol station in Devizes (two minutes walk from the wharf) Hilperton Wharf may sell it, if not there is a petrol station three minutes walk away. Bradford on Avon, a bit further - five minutes walk from the wharf.  Bath, nearest two on the A4 out of Bath, one towards Chippenham, and one towards Bristol , both a good five to ten minutes walk from anywhere you might be able to moor.

On 03/12/2017 at 10:58, the blind novice said:

Where can I get petrol on the kennet and avon. Dont mind a short walk. 

As others have said, there is a petrol station in most of the small towns along the K&A. 

The problem I suggest is the weight of the stuff. How much petrol will it take to get you 20 miles to the next town? Is five litres enough? A five litre can at the end of a two mile walk carrying it weighs the same as a 10 litre can at the start, in my experience!

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

There is a petrol station in Devizes (two minutes walk from the wharf) Hilperton Wharf may sell it, if not there is a petrol station three minutes walk away. Bradford on Avon, a bit further - five minutes walk from the wharf.  Bath, nearest two on the A4 out of Bath, one towards Chippenham, and one towards Bristol , both a good five to ten minutes walk from anywhere you might be able to moor.

Oops, I forgot about that one, the one you can actually see from your boat when you moor opposite the wharf!!!!  Pewsey is still a fair walk unless I have missed one there too.

............Dave

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Page 11 in my Nicholson's Guide

Page 11.jpg

I'm looking at a 2017 edition of Nicholson River Thames & the Southern Waterways which includes the K&A. I believe earlier editions had a shorter intro so that the first waterway listed did indeed begin on page 11.

2 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

I'm looking at a 2017 edition of Nicholson River Thames & the Southern Waterways which includes the K&A. I believe earlier editions had a shorter intro so that the first waterway listed did indeed begin on page 11.

Fairy Snuff - I don't bother getting every new edition as in reality little actually changes (the odd Pub closes, but that's about it)

12 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We are presently using a Nics Guide from when we bought our first boat on the K&A. There's additional services along the length that are not in our guide.

Hey ho!

The old 'North / South' divide again :

North - Services close down (and never re-opened) on a regular basis.

South - Additional services open.

53 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The old 'North / South' divide again :

North - Services close down (and never re-opened) on a regular basis.

South - Additional services open.

We are not far from Bath now, services are not plentiful.

The nearest petrol as you enter bath is on the London Road 24 hrs station. Moor before the tunnels, walk up to the main road, go right, keep right along the main route passed the fire station up to the lights then right again. Probably best part of a mile. The next fuel is on the river just after the main road bridge.

Duncan is up the track near the waste point then go left. Not sure if it is still open as I think it was for sale again 

Edited by adrianh