Rudely awoken- Carbon monoxide alarm

rusty69

Featured Posts

On 03/12/2017 at 10:53, cereal tiller said:

Fitted a New Stove Door Glass recently A Bright light test Revealed a tiny gap on the top edge where Glass meets Rope Seal ,a 2 Thou' Feeler Gauge would slip through the Gap ,took the Seal out and reseated it and it is now Air Tight.

Curiously if the flue is pulling correctly then air would be sucked IN though that gap, not CO leak out.

Seems a bit pointless worrying about 2 thou gaps in the rope seal when there is a whopping great hole at the top anyway, called the air wash control.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Curiously if the flue is pulling correctly then air would be sucked IN though that gap, not CO leak out.

Seems a bit pointless worrying about 2 thou gaps in the rope seal when there is a whopping great hole at the top anyway, called the air wash control.

Did not say it was leaking ,was simply bemused by the gap,I alway think that when a Stove is Cooling Down and the Flue is Cold that CO would Creep out of any Orifice.

On 03/12/2017 at 11:10, cereal tiller said:

Did not say it was leaking ,was simply bemused by the gap,I alway think that when a Stove is Cooling Down and the Flue is Cold that CO would Creep out of any Orifice.

It probably does, particularly through the air wash vent. 

Just now, mross said:

You can't be an idiot because you have the alarms!

Well, thanks Mr Oss, and whilst the alarms are fantastic, I think a regular smoke test will now be in order,because I'm sure the alarms are not supposed to be used to test the system.

Out of interest. How often do other people test their stoves?I feel a pole coming on.........shame I don't know how to set one up.

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, thanks Mr Oss, and whilst the alarms are fantastic, I think a regular smoke test will now be in order,because I'm sure the alarms are not supposed to be used to test the system.

Out of interest. How often do other people test their stoves?I feel a pole coming on.........shame I don't know how to set one up.

A Pole ,what are you thinking of Wussty?

Was in B&Q yesterday, there was a box full of what I think was brushes for lined chimneys for sale, I think they were a cheap offer. We have a 'Brunel' stove in the house and every couple of years it blocks where the flue exits the back, ash and soot build up on a baffle plate and a few sticks come down the chimney from the magpies so if you sweep it just have a furtle around the bottom of the flue as well.

• Greenie 1

Nah I borrow the neighbours twins and strap them in one, synchronized swimming comes natural to them.

My son weighs more then me so if he floats I should be fine.

All perfectly safe by the way, no chance of them hurting themself on the bottom as it's 5m deep.

21 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes, I need to replace the rope seal on my Squirrel door as it's frayed a bit on one of the bottom corners and tends to pull out when I open the door. But I'm not worried about CO leaking out, more not being able to shut the draught down completely if it starts running away.

3 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Yes, I need to replace the rope seal on my Squirrel door as it's frayed a bit on one of the bottom corners and tends to pull out when I open the door. But I'm not worried about CO leaking out, more not being able to shut the draught down completely if it starts running away.

A shovel of ash from the ash pan on top of the coals will slow a runaway stove and bring it back under control. if not put it completely out.

3 minutes ago, mross said:

If the stove is really running away, would you want to open the door?

Opening the door will calm the runaway. Its running away becuase the flue is pulling hard enough to suck air in past the air controls and through the coals. Opening the door stops this instantly by allowing the hot flue to pull cool air in from the room instead. The same funtion as the draught diverter usually fitted to a gas or oil boiler vertical flue.

Years ago I had to call 999 when a house chimney fire took off, I say house, it was The Manor House, and fireman said I could have put soil on the fireplace ........... so, I  think a bucket of damp sand would do the job. It took them 8 mins to arrive, but the address was a bit confusing, and I did not know the exact address as I was the baby sitter, well not real babies, just horses and dogs.

Edited by LadyG

18 minutes ago, mross said:

Where do you find this bucket of damp sand when your canal is not near a beach or playground?  :)

after a fire has taken off, you will never  again moor more than 5m from a playground or a beach, its just too dangerous, though bladderwrack will dampen down any fire/

Best keep your sand in a red bucket labeled FIRE.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

bladderwrack will dampen down any fire

Are you talking the piss?  :)  Or the seaweed?  It's very hard to find seaweed near most canals, although those scottish ditches may have some.

Edited by mross
following my own advice..............

12 minutes ago, mross said:

Are you talking the piss?  Or the seaweed?  It's very hard to find seaweed near most canals, although those scottish ditches may have some.

So, you are saying there is no bladderwark on the L&L?

Plenty either end of the Crinan : 

Edited by LadyG
  • Happy 1