What's the best Bilge pump for a narrowboat

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, DHutch said:

Man this topic has run!

Yes, all the good stuff I needed came out in the first few days - and very informative it was. Good to know what everyone else is thinking about bilge pumps. Well done Forum!!:)

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Isn't that just a load of hot air tho?

No, the Ecofan 'moves' a load of hot air. Keep up!

Johnson cartridge pumps are good, the ribbed pond hose seems to last OK on a typical narrowboat and is much more flexible than the usual braided stuff.

Modern float switches 'mercury free' appear to be pants as the reviews seem to suggest they don't last long term, no cheap and easy way out of that one I'm afraid. :huh: I s'pose you could get an industrial mercury tilt switch for £20ish and build it into some sort of tilting float arrangement...

Edited by smileypete

• 3 months later...

I've got a nice dry bilge, at least I did have until transiting several leaky locks in heavy rain with the drain hole for the engine hatch gutter blocked (cruiser stern).

I then discovered that the outlet stub from the bilge pump had 'rotted away ??surplus grease from the stern gland.

So, replacement pump required. But how does the pump stay in position? A strong magnetic base seems the obvious solution but none of the adverts seem to mention this. The only solution I've seen is to mark the desired position with a felt tip then drill fixing holes - seems a slightly flawed solution to me!

Current, defunct pump is right under a very messy stern gland so I can't see/feel how it is fixed in position. Any thoughts/experience please?

Most bilge pumps have a removable base/inlet for cleaning. No reason why you couldn't put a Neodymium magnet inside to clamp it to the baseplate. A lot of the market for bilge pumps is for grp boats, which explains why they don't come with magnets. Good suggestion though. I shall try it with my pump as I have some magnets going spare.

I've seen people suspend an old kitchen sieve under the stern gland, which catches most of the grease, but lets water through. I have a greaseless gland, so not a problem.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

36 minutes ago, Opener said:

I've got a nice dry bilge, at least I did have until transiting several leaky locks in heavy rain with the drain hole for the engine hatch gutter blocked (cruiser stern).

I then discovered that the outlet stub from the bilge pump had 'rotted away ??surplus grease from the stern gland.

So, replacement pump required. But how does the pump stay in position? A strong magnetic base seems the obvious solution but none of the adverts seem to mention this. The only solution I've seen is to mark the desired position with a felt tip then drill fixing holes - seems a slightly flawed solution to me!

Current, defunct pump is right under a very messy stern gland so I can't see/feel how it is fixed in position. Any thoughts/experience please?

Some sticks like sh!t on the base?   I have bilge pumps where the mount rotates so you can mount them from the side like this one https://www.asap-supplies.com/rule-lopro-lp900s-submersible-bilge-pump

Edited by Robbo