240 volt socket location

Big Chris

Featured Posts

The BSS regs are quite easy to read through and really not that lengthy, especially if you are a private boater.  Look here https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/268789/ecp-private-boats-ed3_rev2_apr2015_public_final.pdf see pages 21-30.  It says you can't install the sockets in the bilges!

The regs are very easy to search (press Control-F or Command-F if you are a fanboy!) 

But I am not trying to deter you from asking advice here! :D

Edited by mross

Just remember to put plenty in if its a new build ive got zillions both sides of the boat high and low level. From new its a doddle to do but retro when you realise there isn't one were you realy need it then its a pain to do.

48 minutes ago, mross said:

And add plenty of USB sockets fed via a 12v ring main.

As well as those 12v cig socket types.   Current USB is old, USB-C is going to be the standard including charging laptops n the such.   If you add 12v sockets you can just add any new standard that comes along.

Open to discussion -

but in a house I've always felt it daft to put sockets down on the floor just by the skirting board (if anybody has those nowadays). Similarly on a boat - low down towards the floor  seemed to be an invitation to get them to get them kicked or more certainly knocked.

Sooo - I put them just under the gunnel where they are shielded the cabin side / hull junction.

• It's easier to run the cables in that dead space
  • Sockets are  more protected
  • You don't have to run the cables behind any panelling - just lose the trunking in the gunnel.

Seemed obvious to me - yet I've looked a photos from 'the professionals' running pipes / cables behind panels / finishing, cutting holes in the knees, going un and down to sockets and radiator (I'm including water pipes) and it seems a helluva faff.

Did I do something wrong - or as I suspect - is everybody else wrong instead??

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

As well as those 12v cig socket types.   Current USB is old, USB-C is going to be the standard including charging laptops n the such.   If you add 12v sockets you can just add any new standard that comes along.

They’re all just 2 x 12v connections - it's the wiring that counts.

36 minutes ago, mross said:

Once sockets are fitted it's quite easy to change them.  USB-C, itself, will be obsolete in ten years.

Indeed. It’s also taking a lot longer to become widespread than expected. Commentators were saying it would be everywhere ‘within a year’ in early 2015. We’re nearly into 2018 and there are stil an awful lot of USB2 and USB3 devices around - I still don’t see many USB-C

I fitted mains sockets with integral usb's, then just leave my inverter on and charge everything whilst on the move, I do also have a double 12volt fed usb socket on my panel but very rarely use it as i also have a home mooring with a E.H.U. 

My mains sockets are all one side of the boat on the wall just above the gunnel, they are fed fed from a plastic conduit under the gunnel, so should i want to add more its easy just to lift the lid off for access to the wiring and punch a hole up behind the panneling.

Rick

7 hours ago, jddevel said:

Reason for the introduction of height restrictions in a new build is dictated by the ability for the physically dis-advantaged to reach from for example a wheel chair.

Which is why light switches now have to be below 1200mm rather than the 1350mm ish we are all used to, so you just make marks on the wall trying to find the thing.  The 300mm socket height is a pain if you have a desk as it is behind the vanity panel, so the first thing you do is put an extension lead in, guess where that lives, at floor level, the old 150mm didn't have the problem.

From what I have seen 450 is common in houses, and would work on a boat, although on ours they are on the underside of the gunnel.

We have just added a number of the USB outlets down the gunnel alongside the 240vac and 24vdc outlets, they are great but be aware they have a reasonable off-load parasitic draw so too many is not a good thing. As said, once the cables are in swapping or adding is easy.

Daniel

If you are going to fit them low near the floor don't forget to add a couple of inches to allow for the flex on the plug top to bend at a reasonable angle, also some transformer plugs hang low of the socket and won't plug in if too near the floor

8 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

If you are going to fit them low near the floor don't forget to add a couple of inches to allow for the flex on the plug top to bend at a reasonable angle, also some transformer plugs hang low of the socket and won't plug in if too near the floor

We have the opposite of that problem.

Sockets right under the gunnels, some plugs have bits sticking up. So they can' be plugged in.

3 hours ago, thebfg said:

We have the opposite of that problem.

Sockets right under the gunnels, some plugs have bits sticking up. So they can' be plugged in.

Can you refit some of the sockets so they’re the other way round? Or would that leave no room for the cable to exit?

• Happy 1

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Can you refit some of the sockets so they’re the other way round? Or would that leave no room for the cable to exit?

I've ot thought of that,  it might be a bit tight  I'll have a look, it may work.

I was going to use a little extension.

Edited by thebfg

13 minutes ago, thebfg said:

I've ot thought of that,  it might be a bit tight  I'll have a look, it may work.

I was going to use a little extension.

There were five of us doing a very good impression of the Keystone Cops, fitting lights to the street’s Christmas tree last Sunday. “No, you can’t plug that one in there because then you can’t fit that one next to it...”. Eventually we ended with a tangle of 6 four-ways and five-ways inside two bin liners inside a big plastic box. 

• Haha 1