Controller/regulator advice for solar panel

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

I've found an100W panel which I think will suit my needs. (I'll post a photo incase anyone can suggest a better one)  

I'm confused over what controller/regulator I should get. The mention of amps and measurements of electricity just upset my brain.  Any advice would be welcome but please keep it simple because I am thick. 

Two things I think I need to consider are: 

1 I might like to get a further panel in the future

and

2 I need a very easy to read and use panel, the simpler the better. 

If this helps: I have 1 starter battery and 3 leisure batteries(110 AH I think?). I consider myself to be a low consumer of electricity. Just use the water pump, LED lights and 12v sockets to charge phone's and gadgets.  

Thanks

Glenn

Have a look at Bimble solar.

Depending on your budget, If it will stretch, I would choose an MPPT controller (Tracer ones are ok).

http://www.bimblesolar.com/offgrid/mppt

A 10 A one will suit your 100W panel,but if you intend to add an additional 100W in the future, a 20W controller would be better, assuming yours is a 12V system.

You could, of course, go for a bigger panel to start (assuming you have the space), which will save you having to connect two panels at a later date,and trying to match panels.

Edited by rusty69

Don't get one of these! What Rusty69 said really. Solar panels seem to be addictive. Once people have bought one, they are soon planning to fit more, so buying a controller with extra capacity is good future proofing It happened to me too. There are several good makes. I've got a Morningstar, which has given many years service.

Jen

if you go with the tracer 2215bn (the one you have pictured) add on the MT50 meter.

while the controller is pretty much plug & play (4 wires / 2 to panel & 2 to batteries) there is no simple way of reading what the panels are producing or changing settings to suit your batteries better than the default settings without the meter.

I have the same controller and a 140w panel and have never had any issues with the setup

4 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

if you go with the tracer 2215bn (the one you have pictured) add on the MT50 meter.

while the controller is pretty much plug & play (4 wires / 2 to panel & 2 to batteries) there is no simple way of reading what the panels are producing or changing settings to suit your batteries better than the default settings without the meter.

I have the same controller and a 140w panel and have never had any issues with the setup

Great, thanks for the that.

as far as I know there is only one MT50 meter (even though it appears some suppliers stick their name on it), they connect with the tracer controllers to give the readout and allow changing of settings.

I got my setup from bimble and I think a good number of other members on here have also dealt with them.

23 hours ago, Goliath said:

I've found an100W panel which I think will suit my needs. (I'll post a photo incase anyone can suggest a better one)  

I'm confused over what controller/regulator I should get. The mention of amps and measurements of electricity just upset my brain.  Any advice would be welcome but please keep it simple because I am thick. 

Two things I think I need to consider are: 

1 I might like to get a further panel in the future

and

2 I need a very easy to read and use panel, the simpler the better. 

If this helps: I have 1 starter battery and 3 leisure batteries(110 AH I think?). I consider myself to be a low consumer of electricity. Just use the water pump, LED lights and 12v sockets to charge phone's and gadgets.  

Thanks

Glenn

You could do a lot worse than buy one of these 10A PWM controllers made by Tracer, for £25:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EPsolar-LS1024B-Charge-Controller-Regulator/dp/B00HD0TME0

This model can also be monitored and the settings customised by the MT50 display or a £5 laptop cable.

Can also get it cheaper from China if the extra wait/risk isn't a problem:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LS1024B-EPSOLAR-NWE-landstar-PWM-solar-controller-with-LCD-remote-meter-free-shipping/2035570346.html

Sure an MPPT will give up to 50% more power in certain circumstances, but the Tracer MPPTs do cost somewhat more, and is it really needed for a water pump and few lights?

Edited by smileypete

Ah, OK

Someone on Ebay is doing a 20A Tracer MPPT for £74

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EPEVER-Tracer-MPPT-12-24V-10-40A-LCD-Solar-Charge-Controller-Battery-Regulator/152504910125

Bear in mind that stick on panels wil catch VERY little of the low winter sun, maybe get a setup in spring but keep an eye out for bargain panels in the meantime?

ETA: I see Bimble are doing a budget model 20A Tracer MPPT for £60

http://www.bimblesolar.com/offgrid/mppt/BUDGETTracer2210CN

Edited by smileypete

Thanks smileypete and murflynn. 

I found this too for £78. Reduced from £140  and it's  Baird Which is supposed to good stuff ?

IMG_2803.PNGAnd going to up the panel to 150W. Which will be a tad better than 100w  winter months? 

I'm going for stick on or screw down becuase i walk on roof alot being single hander.  But still hope to step over it and not on it. 

Edited by Goliath

42 minutes ago, Goliath said:

....and it's  Baird Which is supposed to good stuff ?

If you're expecting "Baird" they way you spelled it (as in John Logie, the Scottish engineer often accredited as the inventor of tv) note that it is spelled "Biard" on the advert header.

I don't know if that makes a difference as my mates 'Ogema Semester' he bought in Hong Kong keeps better time than my Omega Seamaster.  (That's a bit of a misleading statement really - just about everyone's watch keeps better time than my Seamaster)

Edited by Sea Dog
Removed total tosh - just left the tosh

40 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Thanks smileypete and murflynn. 

I found this too for £78. Reduced from £140  and it's  Baird Which is supposed to good stuff ?

IMG_2803.PNGAnd going to up the panel to 150W. Which will be a tad better than 100w  winter months? 

I'm going for stick on or screw down becuase i walk on roof alot being single hander.  But still hope to step over it and not on it. 

It looks like a Tracer to me

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

If you're expecting "Baird" they way you spelled it (as in John Logie, the Scottish engineer often accredited as the inventor of tv) note that it is spelled "Biard" on the advert header.

I don't know if that makes a difference as my mates 'Ogema Semester' he bought in Hong Kong keeps better time than my Omega Seamaster.  (That's a bit of a misleading statement really - just about everyone's watch keeps better time than my Seamaster)

Ha, thanks, not misleading at all.  Cheers. I'm in pub and thumbs are spelling how they wont. About to have an odd night where you have to go with it.   

Will  be back tomorrow and do a bot more research. 

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It looks like a Tracer to me

Thats good yea? Not to be confused with a taser

16 hours ago, Murflynn said:

sorry, my memory is failing.  it doesn't.  :blush:

I had to install ammeter and voltmeter separately.  :banghead:

....................  I'd better make an appointment with the dementia doctor.

Thanks for the help and advice, very much appreciated.

Went for 20A controller off bimble with MT50, and 150W solar panel off eBay. It's more than I need for now, but perhaps it means I can occasionally run my fridge in summer and at times not have to run the engine until I move after a fortnight. 

The winter is probably an odd time to be fitting one but there's a few days of occasional sunshine to be had. I think I'm going to need new batteries by summer. So at least I can learn better how to monitor my batteries and then hopefully be prepared to get the best out of a new set when I change them (If that makes sense?)

I'll let you know how I get on with the panel and gadgets.

thanks again

glenn

• Happy 1