Boat swap

Big Ade

Featured Posts

Whilst cruising (Sawley to London and back) this year we met a few boat owners, who have for a few weeks a year, swapped their boats for the houses of overseas visitors.  Over the years they have had holidays in New Zealand, Vancouver, Florida, Hawaii, South Africa and Thailand. All they had to find was their air fare and car hire. In the process they have forged strong and enduring friendships.

This sounds appealing to my wife and I but at this stage we are only thinking about it, we recognise that there will be risks, pitfalls and implications that need to be mitigated.

I did ask how they acheived this and to be fair I was told (more than once) but I had my wife listening ears on which make me nod and put information into short term memory which is then cleared for other stuff that might happen or has happenned.

So has anyone out there any information or experience and advice on swapping their boat?

One of the chaps also did a boat swap for one on the Canal du Midi too.

I stress that we are merely considering this at the moment and if we are convinced it is for us we won't be minded to actually do anything until 2019 (an eventful year).

Ade

7 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

On a less ambitious note I've heard the idea of a boat exchange between owners north and south of the Scottish border mooted from time to time. There is certainly interest amongst boat owners north of the border.

I have often thought about at boat swap North of the Border - nothing on Canal junction at the moment - must get round to putting an offer up.

12 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

On a less ambitious note I've heard the idea of a boat exchange between owners north and south of the Scottish border mooted from time to time. There is certainly interest amongst boat owners north of the border.

Having a 70' boat based in the midlands, I have often though of a swap (perhaps for a month or two) with a northern based 60' boat.

I think I would have to know the owners, I doubt I could hand my boat to strangers (oddly, I am certain that I could be trusted with theirs!!).